Getting Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best way to get started on some Spartan Amor, when you are new to it and have very little funds?
Getting started is the hardest part due to the fact that you need to pick up tools and materials but if you can find a way to make it work early the momentum will keep you going. Take a look at the tutorial section, learn a little about each of the common crafting methods and see what draws you in since making a full costume in a material you don't like working with is torturous and not a fun time (ask me how I know :p ).
If you're thinking of doing a foam suit the best things to grab right away are a decent snap off blade, a sharpener and a cutting mat so that your knife will last longer and cutting foam will be easier, quicker and you'll have more time for building and less time cutting. Using either a super glue or hot glue will also likely save you money in the process since you won't also need the safety equipment that's required for contact cement and other adhesives.
Making a pepakura suit won't be too expensive to start since all you need is cardstock, some simple glue and then later on resins to harden the form. Depending on where you live this method might be a bit more difficult or time of the year sensitive if you have to do resin work outside and rely on weather and temperature cooperating.
3D printing is probably the most expensive way to start up initially due to needing a machine, materials and all the supporting tools but if you're looking at keeping costs down we have plenty of free printing files on the forums to help keep costs down and offset the pain of buying a printer.

Getting started is the hardest part due to the fact that you need to pick up tools and materials but if you can find a way to make it work early the momentum will keep you going. Take a look at the tutorial section, learn a little about each of the common crafting methods and see what draws you in since making a full costume in a material you don't like working with is torturous and not a fun time (ask me how I know :p ).
If you're thinking of doing a foam suit the best things to grab right away are a decent snap off blade, a sharpener and a cutting mat so that your knife will last longer and cutting foam will be easier, quicker and you'll have more time for building and less time cutting. Using either a super glue or hot glue will also likely save you money in the process since you won't also need the safety equipment that's required for contact cement and other adhesives.
Making a pepakura suit won't be too expensive to start since all you need is cardstock, some simple glue and then later on resins to harden the form. Depending on where you live this method might be a bit more difficult or time of the year sensitive if you have to do resin work outside and rely on weather and temperature cooperating.
3D printing is probably the most expensive way to start up initially due to needing a machine, materials and all the supporting tools but if you're looking at keeping costs down we have plenty of free printing files on the forums to help keep costs down and offset the pain of buying a printer.
Hey, thank you! That was all very informative and thorough. I appreciate it a lot. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back