Getting the nodes off of your pep model

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC PwN 3R

ever had one of those wacked out pep models? yea, i gots tons of them, but what the hell is this you ask, and you point to the tumors on the pep model. god then says to you, that is a node, to show where the smoke comes out, where to grip it and as such. too bad you didnt know the way of getting rid of them...

UNTIL NOW!

yes, using pepakura you can get replicans of the game models themselves. all you have to do, is follow a few simple steps.
first off, open the model you want WITH the nodes with pepakura.
its going to be somewhat, 200+ faces, and asks you if you want to join isolated edges, as such, and for the most part, this is your choice. you can leave them seperate, or you can join them together, making the pieces bigger but less cutting, etc.
now, follow carefully.
go to the "3DModelWindow" and scroll down to "Show Object List"
this list will come up with a few selections, all of which is visable. unhighlight the one you want on, and the ones you dont. if you have the game extracted replicas, unhighlight everything, except for something like, "_unnamed" (more or less) otherwise mess around with it.
once finished with your model, you have cured your model of tumors. :lol: then....
go to, "BothWindows" and uncheck "Use Materials for Faces" if you haven't already.
finally, unfold the model by going to "BothWindows" > "Unfold"

this goes as far as it can, because after this, all you have to do is scale it, number it (if it hasnt already), print it, cut it, etc.
hope this helps some people.

that works to remove the nodes but more often than not the ripped weapon files are too complex, or have overlapping faces that make it impossible to build. so yes,, it will remove the nodes, but its still an unbuildable file without 3d editing.

My portal gun originally was impossible to build because of constant overlapping faces and small pieces, after editing them all off, the model is now still hard, but easier to build. The only way to really remove the nodes for sure is to just delete them in a 3d modeling program like 3ds max or whatever you use.

Good Stuff!
I like this, because you can trim down some detail to make the pep armor easier to assemble. Hopefully after the armor build, you can add the details to it. Much better than cutting out tiny pieces of paper to fold into microscopic specks of dust.

This is a pretty good idea. I just did it, and it did work. It helps me out a lot when I am downloading 3ds files straight into pepakura.

Uh.....is it really THAT simple? i just did it......is that all you had to do? god....i went nuts trying to edit it out and stuff.
you saved me. i mean, my weapon models. too bad i cant save it.

rvb4life said:
Uh.....is it really THAT simple? i just did it......is that all you had to do? god....i went nuts trying to edit it out and stuff.
you saved me. i mean, my weapon models. too bad i cant save it.
i know, i was like, wtf! how do i get these damned tumors off??!!? I experimented around with pepakura and stuff...and boom, there it was...
but really it was more like, I hope this works...and it does...! YAY!
i cant believe this mini tut helped some people/

Last edited by a moderator:
MC PwN 3R said:
i know, i was like, wtf! how do i get these damned tumors off??!!? I experimented around with pepakura and stuff...and boom, there it was...
but really it was more like, I hope this works...and it does...! YAY!
i cant believe this mini tut helped some people/
you dont get it do you,, this does nothing except hide those marker nodes where the hands will be placed on the 3d models, all of the weapons models have intersecting faces. this works for 3d programs, but you cannot build the models like this without joining all the faces that overlap, and deleting all the leftovers on the inside.. im sure robogenisis knows what im talking about

Hi all, somebody can explain me, why pepakuradesigner denies to display whole model if there is a part of model created as revolved extrusion? I mean - not models created by 3dmax - because 3dmax creates even cylinders and cones from array of flat faces.

dannifood4less said:
you dont get it do you,, this does nothing except hide those marker nodes where the hands will be placed on the 3d models, all of the weapons models have intersecting faces. this works for 3d programs, but you cannot build the models like this without joining all the faces that overlap, and deleting all the leftovers on the inside.. im sure robogenisis knows what im talking about

define "intersecting." maybe i do get it; maybe i dont, this was just some quick experiment that i messed around on, not something that i looked deeply into... if theres a big "WRONG" here, would u be able to show it with images, as such, cuz words dont cut it anymore. they say this but mean that.

EDIT: ok i sorta get the intersecting part now; is it like where parts dont really fit up with the model? take the needler for example and its needles. like something like that?

for me, i would just have to improvise, instead of accepting that it becomes intersected and not do anything about it. trim it down and mess with it, because pep is a flexible project, IMO.

EDIT AGAIN: ok, i relooked at some stuff, and really, this will remove the nodes, but will not make it simpler. I stand corrected. It will still be hard, and its gonna make the entire piece look dull. if i can produce one and it looks decent, ill show it, but only if i have time and the patience to pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back