GG's Armor Number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerguy55

Well, Iv been working on a helm using sylfo's model. I have the chest printed out and I am cutting it as you read this. This is my second try at making the full suit. I will be using sylfo's models for the whole thing...I think... PLEASE tell me what you think, if you don't like it, tell me why. If you do like it, THANKS. I need help with figuring out how to make it smooth. Should i use fiberglass jelly or bondo? I'm going to make the whole suit and then (try to) make molds of it.
Helmet014.jpg

Side
Helmet003.jpg

Front
Helmet011.jpg

Back
Helmet008.jpg

Other side
Helmet018.jpg

Thanks for your support!
If you have any suggestions or comments PLEASE (I can not stress that enough :p) tell me.

Thanks, I fixed the chin after i looked at picture. I am going to make molds of the whole suit after I'm done making it. I would like to make the helmet into three pieces like Seans helms are, if anyone knows how to do that please tell me. I want to make the molds as accurate and cheap as i can, i know thats an oxymoron but I'm still going to try. :lol: I have never made molds of anything before so I want to it right the first time.

Should the chest be in multiple pieces too? I know to use straps of some kind to hold it all together but other than that I have no clue. Is it better to use fiberglass jelly or bondo? I want to make this suit as detailed as I can. I have so may questions and things i don't understand but I'll ask those as I get closer to getting the armor done.

Thanks for you help! :)

daystar558 said:
robos beta models are alot better than slyfos, same detail, much easier to put together....

I agree. I've made Slyfo's helmet too, but I would recommend switching to the models by Robogenisis for the other parts. His include more details and are a bit smoother, which all save bondo-work later (or look better without the bondo). He doesn't have everything done yet, just the handplates and the boots, but the biceps are in the works.

Last edited by a moderator:
xalener said:
You gonna detail this one?
hehehe yeah....about that first armor.....it kinda.....well it just sucked. I didn't detail it at all and it really doesn't look good at all.

I think I'm going to use slyfo's chest piece but I'm not sure about the rest of the suit yet...I will just have to compare the models and see which one i think look better. The only reason i didn't use robo's models from the start was because they where more simple to fold and they had less to put together, but I thought that slyfo's looked more detailed. I'm going to end up fiberglassing the inside with the cloth or mat (which one is better?).

I'm either going to bondo everything to make it look smooth or use fiberglass jelly, which i know nothing about. Which looks better and is easier to work with?

If i get enough interest I might make molds of the suit... but that would cost a lot of money, so I'm not going to do it unless i can get enough people that would want them. That is going to be one of the last thing I do though. Can you make a mold of something after its been painted or will it ruin the paint?

Thanks for your help everyone!

gamerguy55 said:
...but I thought that slyfo's looked more detailed.
Yeah, so did I, but people mentioned FS and Robo's stuff so I got to looking for their files. I'm sticking with Slyfo's since it's already started though.

gamerguy55 said:
I'm going to end up fiberglassing the inside with the cloth or mat (which one is better?).
From what I've been told, mat is stronger (absorbs more resin), but cloth is easier to work with. I've used mat, and it can get hella messy with all those strands going everywhere you don't want them to. I'm new to fiberglassing though.

gamerguy55 said:
I'm either going to bondo everything to make it look smooth or use fiberglass jelly, which i know nothing about. Which looks better and is easier to work with?
From what I've seen, most people use bondo filler. I'd have to leave the professional opinion to someone else that's gotten that far though.

I think I am going to stick with sylfo's models too. I used mat and cloth on my first suit and mat was easier to work with. Is bondo filler expensive?

The chest is almost done being cut out!!

My "Basic Beta Models" are exactly the same models as Slyfo's, except there are NO open edges (Where there are no tabs to connect the faces), and I've removed all the right faces. They have no added detail, several of them have less faces and folds, so that means that my models are nothing except easier.
Links to the topics at the bottom.
Compare slyfo's and my models before you decide.

If you want to make some higher detail models, I would suggest using Flying_squirrel's and my HD models. You can also use DF4L's smooth helmet. There are less folds on DF4L's, except there are a hell of a lot more tabs. FS has a high detail helmet (He's in the process of making a better one right now), and a high detail chest. I have the HD boot models, and the HD hand plates. I'm in the process of making the HD bicep as well.

Robogenisis's "Basic Beta Models" http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7392
Flying_squirrel's HD models http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5089
Robogenisis's HD models http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6833
DF4L's Smooth Helmet http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3719

I looked at the HD models for the chest but when i unfolded it it wasn't done right, there where too many pieces. I would have used the helm but i already have sylfos done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back