Gipsy Danger 10 Foot Tall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton188

RCO
Member DIN
S188
One of my dream cosplays has been a big mech build. At the top of the list of available mechs to build was Gipsy Danger because I love it's design and purpose. Fight giant monsters with fists, guns, rockets, and swords, what's not to love? In late May of this year I found Gipsy Danger .obj files and decided then and there that it was going to happen, and I was gonna go BIG!
Throughout June and into July I took time to unfold and resize all the pieces to make a 10 foot tall version of Gipsy. Thankfully there was a full model .obj to work off of, so all the individual pieces will be sized correctly. All the armor will be made of EVA foam, and I plan on building a PVC inner frame for support. Stilts of course will be used for the legs, and some mechanical prowess for the arms to move. It's a work in progress of course, but it should be equal parts fun and equal parts challenging. Just the way I like it :cool:
Gipsy Full.jpg

Here's some pics of what i got done so far. Just the helmet and one boot so far:
38181988_2473369829343499_2205973354450518016_n.jpg
38204184_2473353279345154_7403397726987091968_o.jpg

UPDATE!!
Both feet are foamed out, and I got 1 shin done as well. Did a slight test fit to see how big it was gonna be and.....oh......oh my.
Once the other shin is done I may need to focus on building the stilts right away to help support the shins. Basically building the internal skeleton as I go to keep everything from drooping and warping too much.
39522315_884240501770391_4127779835667808256_n (1).jpg

I recommend going all the way and using the PVC primer/cement combo (don't forget a respirator!). Gorrilla glue just doesn't cut the mustard: had my stilts fall apart on me!

You wanna try to have a mech fight?

I recommend going all the way and using the PVC primer/cement combo (don't forget a respirator!). Gorrilla glue just doesn't cut the mustard: had my stilts fall apart on me!

You wanna try to have a mech fight?
Did you use PVC for your leg stilts? I wasn't sure if they would hold up well to weight very well.
Also, yes I'll mech fight you when it's all done lol

Goodness gracious dude, you really like to go big don’t you? Not everyone can say they’ve built mechs, alien hover bikes and tanks in their lifetime!

I was a pretty big fan of the film so I’m looking forward to seeing more of this! I myself haven’t seen anyone do a Jager yet.

Did you use PVC for your leg stilts? I wasn't sure if they would hold up well to weight very well.
Also, yes I'll mech fight you when it's all done lol

Woohoo! Roadtrip!

Depends on how you use PVC. I've gotten good performance out of a simple prism design:

IMG_20180827_202642.jpg

But a few diagonal supports on the corners wouldn't go amiss (bearing in mind 3/4" PVC gets bendy after a foot or so) and a bit of wall-mounted shelf framing to keep the feets from bending.

UPDATE!!
Feet, shins, thighs, cod, and abs have been made. As well as both stilts for the shins and feet. Some smaller detail pieces for the legs and abs still need to be made, but the overall outer big pieces are finished. Going to take some time to figure out how I want to do the pvc structure heading from the knees to the waist. It needs to be designed to be both movable and have a way to lock it into place so I can get out without it falling over. Also going to add some further reinforcement on the stilts before I try and walk with them on. Might be a bit overkill, but I want to make sure they won't break on me.
42974437_1367549603381382_2566074038296248320_o.jpg

UPDATE!!
Also going to add some further reinforcement on the stilts before I try and walk with them on. Might be a bit overkill, but I want to make sure they won't break on me.
View attachment 260352

Wall mounted shelf tracks make excellent support if you want that extra bit of metal-based stability.
It looks so thin! I think you need to bring the legs closer together, but nice foam work!

Wall mounted shelf tracks make excellent support if you want that extra bit of metal-based stability.
It looks so thin! I think you need to bring the legs closer together, but nice foam work!

The legs will definitely be closer together, I just had them wide because of the pvc pipe holding them up was a scrap piece. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have everything figured out on the legs and I'll begin testing the stilts out with everything put together.

SETBACK!!
Huh, I don't think I've ever made an update post like this one that goes backwards instead of forwards. Anyways, I'm going to have to scrap the PVC stilts in favor of something more sturdy. The height of these legs on PVC is just too much, even after I reinforced them with 1 1/4" pipes as well as fiberglass wrapped the daylights out of them. So instead of PVC I'll be switching over to using all wood. Might add a bit more for weight, but I'll feel a lot safer on them. Plus the PVC was actually heavier than I was expecting which is why I wanted to use it in the first place, but now that's kind of a mute point. In the meantime, I'm starting on the chestpiece next so I get a sense of how much wiggle room I'll have inside. If the cod and abs have told me anything, it's actually going to be a lot more snug than I originally thought. That could be good and or bad, but we'll see.

SETBACK!!
Huh, I don't think I've ever made an update post like this one that goes backwards instead of forwards. Anyways, I'm going to have to scrap the PVC stilts in favor of something more sturdy. The height of these legs on PVC is just too much, even after I reinforced them with 1 1/4" pipes as well as fiberglass wrapped the daylights out of them. So instead of PVC I'll be switching over to using all wood. Might add a bit more for weight, but I'll feel a lot safer on them. Plus the PVC was actually heavier than I was expecting which is why I wanted to use it in the first place, but now that's kind of a mute point. In the meantime, I'm starting on the chestpiece next so I get a sense of how much wiggle room I'll have inside. If the cod and abs have told me anything, it's actually going to be a lot more snug than I originally thought. That could be good and or bad, but we'll see.

I don't know if it's a setback in the long run if you're rebuilding for safety and stability. I'd say it's a good time investment if it keeps the legs from collapsing under you and damaging both the suit and yourself.

SETBACK!!

I feel ya, especially with a height of what, 30 inches?
My PVC stilts are built more like little bridges (or an actual power armor component!) than actual stilts.

Ever consider a stilt core of 4" PVC?

For the torso you might wanna consider something like Thomas DePetrillo's Reinhart system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back