glue help

Status
Not open for further replies.

supertaco

i've been searching for a while now and have never got a straight answer about whether or not using an ordinary elmer's glue stick will work.
right now i've been using hot glue but i'm not too good with it and i am always afraid of getting burned(i have like 4 times already).

i have tried some and they hold really good,so that i don't think is an issue but I've heard that fiberglass resin dissolve it, is that true?

supertaco said:
i've been searching for a while now and have never got a straight answer about whether or not using an ordinary elmer's glue stick will work.
right now i've been using hot glue but i'm not too good with it and i am always afraid of getting burned(i have like 4 times already).

No GLue sticks won't work. The resin just eats right through it.
If you don't want to use Hot glue
Use Super Glue, it is what most of us do.
Trust me, glue stick doesn't work. That's from experience.

Hope this helped

-Justin

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks but i think i'm going to stick with hot glue though, so i don't go to pick my nose while working and my finger sticks.:lol:

supertaco said:
thanks but i think i'm going to stick with hot glue though, so i don't go to pick my nose while working and my finger sticks.:lol:
LOL that would be awkward.
LOL yeah it gets hard/messy.

supertaco said:
I don't use the glue stick version but I use Elmer's Glue-All, the white viscous liquid one. If you apply a very thin layer of it on the flaps, it'll bond within seconds. It's stiff when it dries and doesn't dissolve in fiberglass resin.

I've used hot glue, normal elmers glue, and am experimenting with elmers rubber cement.

Hot glue dries fast and strong, but doesn't give you much time to move the piece if you get it wrong, and you can burn yourself.

Elmers white glue is pretty strong, and gives you a bit of time to make sure the piece is in the right spot, but it is very slow to dry, and can start getting messy.

Elmers rubber cement is OK in strength, but you can peel the piece off with a little force, which can be good or bad, because you might mis-align a piece wrong, but then it is a little weaker. The glue also rubs off, this can also be a good or bad thing, seeing that if you get some on the ouside, you can rub it off.

Glue sticks will not work.

I use Elmers glue and its great stuff. But i ran out so i just got a multi purpose whte glue(non toxic). this glue is pretty much the same but i just got it at target.

supertaco said:
yes! :D i have a bunch of elmer's glue because i used it to cast bookmarks from glue and sell them to people.
haha! I used to do that back in elementary...didnt sell them though

anyway, I use superglue, its fine except it develops a thin hard layer over your fingers that lasts for about a day, then peels off. Works great for pep though, curing time's a little short.

aaaw man......here i have been using glue sticks for my models......maybe santa will give me a hot glue gun for christmas.

damn. no wonder the flaps wont stick right.

i feel stupid.

Gluestick won't hold, and later on the resin will eat through it. Krazy glue or super glue works best. It might take a bit to get used to how quick it dries, but it's quick and clean while giving maximum hold.

hot glue works best for me and yes it does get hot but you can build up a restitance to the heat and if you mess up just rub the hot noselle on the part you want to change and it re melts the glue to allow for repositioning

silvershadow said:
when you guys say superglue do you mean the liquidy kind, or is there kind that is more of a goo like elmers glue?

the super glue in little dropper like bottles. i buy "Duro" brand super glue, best you can get for cheap. at the miejers i go to its about 5 bux for 8 small things of it.

I've hot glued 3 full sets of pep armor, and only burned myself maybe 10 times - not even that bad. Seldom blisters and only hurts for a second. Its worth the pain imho. Superglue runs the risk of gluing your skin together, and toxic shock if you use too much.

The krazy glue I'm talking about is the liquid kind. Hot glue does work amazingly well, and getting burned I find surprisingly fun. But if the glue dries before you get to connect the two pieces you end up with hard blob, and also the stringy stuff gets really messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back