Gokussj5okazu's Armory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gokussj5okazu

Just thought I'd throw this up for the sake of new content. It all started out with Rundown's MKV shin pep file. Unfortunately I never took any pictures of the pep or early glassing stages, but I'll finish it out in this WIP.

IMAG0048.jpg

eefd452c-addf-4b6d-ae68-ffb4f7c4ee91.jpg

d0cfe4b2-0097-4fad-a8a6-eef9cb6e684e.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

Note this popsicle sticks. I find they works excellently to keep flat faces flat, and to help tweak the model if it gets slightly warped.

Great start. Everything looks pretty clean and squared away. Keep it up!

Just one nitpicky detail, this isn't the MK IV, it's the MK V(B) armor. The MK IV was from Halo Wars. Not a huge detail; like I said, just nitpicky.

Gah! Thanks for catching that lol I should have considering I have all of the files neatly organized. :p

Got bored with glassing so I started bondo today. I plan on molding this one instead of wearing it so I'm not too concerned about strength.

fcff8826-ac79-4ed3-8a5f-b3080837332f.jpg

a21ac299-b14c-41c4-bd33-8e10aef65ca5.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

Decided to glass my Gungnir knee piece while letting the bondo on the shin dry. Hopefully I will be able to mold this one as well...just need to figure out how.

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

Got one major face of the shin smoothed nicely. I need to work on the tight corners and sharpen them up a bit though. Any tips for those?

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

Decided to shoot a little high build primer today and see how the edges turned out.

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

Also started on smoothing the round section in the rear of the calf.

IMAG0072.jpg

And put another layer on the GUNGNIR knee.

IMAG0071.jpg

This looks awesome! I want to get started on this stuff so I can start learning! I fear the mistakes I will make but it's a fact of life lol. I can only look at everyone else's progress on here and soak in all the wisdom acquired from other builds... like the popsicle stick idea. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. Most definitely the best way to start learning is to observe then just start doing and mess up a bit. :p I made one whole set of crappy armor and two helmets before I really had a good grasp of the techniques. And ya, the popsicle sticks are a godsend. I think they're the absolute best way to keep the flat faces flat and to strengthen the whole thing.

Ah yeah I have about 6 helmets I want to make as of now but then again this is the beginning of my process so I'm sure that my energy will dwindle a little bit. It's a family thing because my dad and brother both start a lot of projects and don't finish too many of them. I plan on only doing one at a time to solve this problem lol.

Best of luck to you!

So today I got....some FOAMIES!

21512dee-8c92-41c7-aff9-63d54671ca10.jpg

I decided to add to the model some in areas to match the game model more closely.

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

Foam is great stuff for details. Easy to cut, glue and shape. I still prefer mat board for my pep details since it's a more rigid material and takes resin. Foam works very well for curved details, but you have to have the base pretty smooth, otherwise the defects show through in the foam. It seems to be working out for you so far though!

Ya, I can't believe I never had the forethought to use foamies in this way before. haha They're working great. I decided to remove the knee portion, as the knee permutations will takes it's place anyhow.

IMAG0080.jpg

Also got the foam sealed with wood glue, and started bondoing.

IMAG0081.jpg

GUNGNIR is almost done!

IMAG0082.jpg

Made some more progress today. Should have everything wrapped up and get to start molding in a week or two.

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

I'm thinking of doing both in glove molds with Rebound 25 or DragonSkin. Thoughts/suggestions?

Yeah I seen those at the store I was at when I was gathering supplies! I probably wont use them because I'm not doing armor... yet. Maybe. When you started did you use the tabs and fold them in or did you just cut them off and glue it together?

*EDIT*
Nevermind I found a perfect way to fold the tabs lol.

Glad you figured it out. :) I've always used the tabs like normal myself with hotglue, then reheat the back of the flap to push the glue nice and flat.

GUNGNIR is so close I can taste it :p

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

I gotta say, I absolutely love the foamies.

Ah I used electric tape. I saw in a post that it was suggested so I got it. It's turning out somewhat nice. I'm a little apprehensive about making a new thread though. I'm making a Deadeye helmet. I haven't seen anything for one yet so I'm not sure what to think about it so far. I still want to see this thing whole. I like the deadeye and the fotus but the latter seems very complicated.

I'm excited to see yours done! I always wanted a full set of armor but I can see from here that it'll take a while to get done lol. I may just stick with helmets until I have enough self confidence.

OK so it's been too long since I updated but the knee is....DONE!

WooT!

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

Ignore the feathered paint line lol. If anyone's interested, I DO plan on casting these for a small run, just to pay for my next project. So if you're interested, let me know!

I did a bit of an experiment today. I needed to fill in the back side of the knee piece, and had some 3 year old SmoothCast 320 around, so I figured eh why not?

[URL=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/gokussj5okazu/media/Armor/IMAG0106.jpg.html]IMAG0106.jpg[/URL]

THIS is why you should NOT use expired resin in an actual cast! It bubbled up a storm, and after the initial kick, there was a ton of clear, watery resin that seeped up to the top and took much longer to dry. I can only assume my resin had moisture contamination.

[URL=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/gokussj5okazu/media/Armor/IMAG0107.jpg.html]IMAG0107.jpg[/URL]

GUNGNIR knee makes me feel old.
I must say though, the foamies and the paint turned out really well on it!

Looking forward to seeing how you progress on this project.

Haha yes, MS7, seems like Reach was forever ago.

Here's what's I've been working on as of late. It's a MKIV/MKV hybrid commission for a customer.

IMAG01161.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back