Good LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshua61991

Jr Member
Nothing would annoy me more than getting done with my helmet then installing crap lights. So what is a really bright,cool(as in doesn't get hot), and most importantly; found regularly in stores like radio shack.

as always all comments that are positive toward the goal are welcomed.

I'm very new, and have yet to make my armor (Its in progress). But I figured I would try to help. I searched the forum, and someone suggested 2600 MCD Blue LEDs. You can get them from radio shack. Like I said I cannot personally say I have used them though. Hopefully this will be a good starting point for you.

I am personally going to install four 10mm white LEDs in my helmet. You can find them at Radio Shack (at least mine). Not sure how bright they are, but most/all LEDs are plenty bright enough, unless you use low voltages.

LEDs don't put off any heat, so you can use any LED you want. You can also use bright blue LEDs and still have it look normal.

Robogenisis said:
I am personally going to install four 10mm white LEDs in my helmet. You can find them at Radio Shack (at least mine). Not sure how bright they are, but most/all LEDs are plenty bright enough, unless you use low voltages.

LEDs don't put off any heat, so you can use any LED you want. You can also use bright blue LEDs and still have it look normal.

Yup I also used white LEDs. The ones I got have a 'cool' tint to them which was blue enough for what I was wanting. LEDs are durable and have long lasting power too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vexona said:
Yup I also used white LEDs. The ones I got have a 'cool' tint to them which was blue enough for what I was wanting. LEDs are durable and have long lasting power too.
LEDs are durable, put out no heat, last long enough that you'll never need to replace them, and use very little power. You can easily run 4 LEDs off a 9-volt.

I always go to HERE to find out what kind of resistor you need. Just put in the power source, forward votage, and forward current. It'll show you how to wire it up.

Robogenisis said:
I always go to HERE to find out what kind of resistor you need. Just put in the power source, forward votage, and forward current. It'll show you how to wire it up.
Link is dead Robo

Fixed it. Someone had been pressing keys when I was typing, and they pressed "23" right after I entered the link and I didn't notice... :cautious:

With a little modification, would this work? I was thinking of doing this myself; maximum light, minimum power. The turquoise mights be a little odd, but considering the advantage over other colors I think it might be worth it.

What do you more-experienced-than-me guys think?

I personally want to go for just about as dim as possible while still being able to use it as a flashlight. I want people to be able to look at me without being blind for a week :D

i'm havin probs finding a kind of lense cover for my leds, does anyone have any ideas just need somethin slightly domed and clear, was gonna use a kids toy but can't find any of use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back