Google It Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastSpartan

Sr Member
Here's a quick tutorial on how to use the world's most powerful tool, Google.

Actually, this may sound weird, but we shall not use Google for this. Since Google uses between 450 000 and one million servers for your searches, every search polutes.

So for this, I'll show Ethicle.com

logo-en.jpg

You don't have to use it for all your search, but every 100 searches plants a tree. Ethicle.com refers the query to Google which pays them back (advertising). It doesn't give as many results as Google itself, and don't work with all commands I'll show below, but for basic searching, it's perfect.

So. How many time have you heard, use the search function?.

Thousand of times. And it sucks. The problems is not Adam or any other moderator, it just never gives you the results you want.

Google does.

First.

How to search inside the 405th with Google.

Type in google :
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'>site:www.405th.com Pepakura</div>
898 results

This will give you all the pages with the word "Pepakura" on the 405th.

We can be more precise.

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'>site:www.405th.com "Close Quarters Battle" +Pepakura</div>
1 result! Too precise.

The " " means you want these words next one to the other. You want to keep that sentence together. The +Pepakura tells Google that you are adding the keyword to the search.

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'>site:www.405th.com +CQB +Pepakura</div>
86 results
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'>site:www.405th.com +CQB +Pepakura -Flying_Squirl</div>
75 results.

The -Flying_Squirl tells google I want no pages with the word Flying_Squirl on it (Sorry mate :p)

Next.

Allintitle.

Tells google that you want your keywords to be located only in the title of the page. For exemple. If you search Pepakura Halo in Google, you get pages like this :
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'>Print Page - Pepakura software for that "Nemo" look - [ Traduire cette page ]
3 Feb 2009 ... Especially ones from videogames (like Halo) ... Pepakura recognises this and keeps the beams, more or less, in one piece. ...
brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=13790.0 - 32k -</div>

If you use the allintitle:
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'>allintitle: Pepakura Halo</div>

You get all pages with these 2 words in the title. If Pepakura or Halo is NOT in the title, the page won't be shown in the search.

For those at work that wants to check blocked pages, you can use Google's cache. It won't work for forums since caches are often really old. The bonus is that tutorials are rarely updated ;)

For exemple, this tutorial on Bondoing is blocked at work/school. http://teamexcessboost.tripod.com/id75.htm
You can use it's cached version by typing this in your search :

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'>cache:http://teamexcessboost.tripod.com/id75.htm</div>

Last cache of that page was on May 16. Pretty good.

Last, the define function. Never you'll have to use a dictionnary again, except in the Noob section for grammar.

If I ask you the meaning of the word: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

You don't what it means. I hope. If you do, there's something wrong with you.

Type this :
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'>define: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia</div>

DAMN. You get the definition :D.

This is officially my longest post so far. Please use Ethicle to plant trees, I like trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back