GunGryphons Hasty Mark 6 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunGryphon

Jr Member
Hello everyone, just thought that I would post my first armor creation thread :D

Basically, I began my armor build around the 10th this month (2010 mind you) and have been working on it with every spare moment I have. My hope is to have the armor mostly done by Halloween. For speed reasons, only the helmet and chest are HD.
EDIT: I will also do the cod and thigh pieces in HD as well.

Progress:
Nearly done, just needs hand plates and boots to mount my steel toe caps

Heres the current picture:
SLC%20Comic%20Con%20Cosplay%20Highlights%20small.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Whats a fast, cheap functional undersuit?
Is there a fast, cheap alternative to fiberglassing?
What material should be used for the butt plate?

Cant go wrong with black pants and a long sleeve shirt, of any kind.
Rondo would be fast, i dont know about cheap though. I like fiberglass myself.
butt plate should just have extra layers of what ever you use to harden it with.

Alright, the first update:
Ive fiberglassed 50% of the chest plate, I may get to 75% tonight.
Ive applied bondo to 50% of the right shoulder.
Finally ive begun pepping the left fore-arm.

I would love to post pictures, but until im allowed to add picture attachments i cant.
Also, for some reason editing my posts havnt been working, as they dont save when im done.

Im getting close to the part where I split the chest plate in half, any pointers on what to use and where to cut? Im using Flying Squirrls HD chest-plate.

I would love to post pictures, but until im allowed to add picture attachments i cant.
Also, for some reason editing my posts havnt been working, as they dont save when im done.

To edit posts, go advanced. To include pictures, upload them to Photobucket.

yes, I can enter both edit modes, but when i click the save button, it just sits there. I have no idea why its like that. As for photo bucket, Ill have to sign up for that.

wow, never mind, it started working, thanks anyway.

Alright, daily update:
I only do pepping on sundays so I got the right forearm done and have begun pepping the waist.
Im still looking for the best way to split the chest plate.

Ill probably have pictures posted tommorrow.

Finally, got my pictures uploaded to the bucket!
Here is most of my armor:
DSCF2244-1.jpg

My helmet close up:
DSCF2248.jpg

My Chestplate close up:
DSCF2246.jpg

These were taken before my days work, so heres the daily project update:
Chest plate is 75% Fiberglassed, just need most of the back section.
Fiberglassed most of the left shoulder.
Resined the left fore arm.

I didnt get as much as i wanted done today because i had to go to the store to get more fiberglass, as well as straps, buckles, vecro, ect.

DSCF2244-1.jpg

DSCF2248.jpg

DSCF2246.jpg

Ill probably get some pics of me wearing the chest piece tomorrow, as the back isnt fiberglassed yet so I cant split it without it deforming. Im going to try to emulate what Longshot did with his chest piece with the clips and the magnets, but right now I just need some sort of fast clip.

Any thoughts on whether or not I could get away with having some of the armor just fiberglassed and painted for halloween? Because right now Im just trying to get somthing presentable by then. After halloween Ill work more on refining and smoothing the piece, as well as adding all the bells and whistles I can afford.

Any thoughts on whether or not I could get away with having some of the armor just fiberglassed and painted for halloween? Because right now Im just trying to get somthing presentable by then. After halloween Ill work more on refining and smoothing the piece, as well as adding all the bells and whistles I can afford.

I bet it would look alright with some hotrod black primer just to go out in. Halloween crowds are pretty easy to impress IMO. After that you can scuff sand it and go back in with bondo and a dremel for fine details and to work out the kinks.

Sorry for not posting an update yesterday, as i was quite buisy working.
Todays update is quite large to make up for it, and yes, theres alot of pictures.

Progress:
I have smoothed out the helmet, added a temporary visor (stiff shrink plastic), and recoated it black with a clear acrylic coat.
The chest plate has been fully fiberglassed and split
The left shoulder has been fiberglassed
Both shin guards have been peped

Here are some pictures Ive taken:
Heres the helmet after being smoothed, before any paint.
DSCF22442.jpg

DSCF22452.jpg

Heres the helm after the quick base coat:
DSCF2252.jpg

DSCF2249.jpg

And finally heres what everything looks like all together:
DSCF2253.jpg

DSCF2255.jpg

DSCF2254.jpg

Enjoy!

DSCF22442.jpg

DSCF22452.jpg

DSCF2252.jpg

DSCF2249.jpg

DSCF2253.jpg

DSCF2255.jpg

DSCF2254.jpg

I have a question about what to use as a latch between the front and back chest pieces. I dont have the time to implement a fancy magnet system like Longshot, and black duct tape will only last so long.

Any help would be much appreciated.

sorry that I can't help you with your question since I'm not that far (just made my fiberglass to the helmet) but your work looks awsome :)
Congratulations so far!

Well, looks like i barely made my goal of having somthing presentable by halloween, as i had all the armor pieces in descent shape by 5:30 today, just in time for a small costume contest at 6:00.

Progress update (since last update::
Fiberglassed and painted the cod and thigh plates (I actually peped, fiberglassed and painted the thighs from scratch in just under 5 hours)
Resined and painted the shins
Added straps to shoulders and thighs.

I had to leave some pieces as just painted resin (the shins and fore arms), but it didnt cause too much trouble other then some tears that occured at the ankles.

Here are some pictures:

DSCF2281.jpg

DSCF2282.jpg

After a long day of working and trick-or-treating (having an awsome costume gives you an excuse to do it):
DSCF2288.jpg

It seems that the strapping system works fine as well, as long as the glue dosnt come un-done. I definately had alot of fun with it, I even went to the local grocery store for a bag of Cheetos in it.

Happy Halo-ween:cool

DSCF2281.jpg

DSCF2282.jpg

DSCF2288.jpg

Thanks, Still I have a long way to go. as the only thing that actually has bondo is the helmet, and even that has quite a few dings in it. As for the thigh pieces, Im definatly going to replace those with HD models first, as I will be gradually cycling the normal pieces out. I would say it would be several months till I have somthing that can compete with the higher up builders.
I wonder if Bondo will stick to that glossy paint very well.

It seemed that it was a pretty good success as I got plent of compliments and quite a few funny looks at the store. Still lacking a nice reflective visor. Im also debating as to wether or not I will post that video because of the video problems and the lack of people in the store.

Ive found that the hot glue that Ive attached my straps on with dosnt hold onto the fiberglass very well, as it holds pretty firm, but any strong force will make it peel off. What's anouther way to bond the straps on? Ive thought of Shoe Goo or epoxy, anyone know how well these work?

Ive found that the hot glue that Ive attached my straps on with dosnt hold onto the fiberglass very well, as it holds pretty firm, but any strong force will make it peel off. What's anouther way to bond the straps on? Ive thought of Shoe Goo or epoxy, anyone know how well these work?

Nuts and bolts, or rivets. People usually use rivets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back