GunGryphons Hasty Mark 6 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a Sheridan XTS that my brother bought, I dont know much more then that. I ended up ramming a flashlight/glowstick down the barrel last-minute to make it look cool for halloween.

As for the lack of updates, I have been taking a bit of a break, and am also trying to repair the damage that building it did to my grade. Once things are patched up I will begin to work on it more regularly.

Thanks, the reason that I have black paint on it atm is because I didnt have time to do any bondo work on anything but the helmet. The black color helped to hide imperfections for halloween. Im still debating between sage and red because I promised someone a suit in blue (he wants to be Caboose).

Once im done with finals I'll be finishing it. Its not to say that im not doing anything on it, as I added some rondo to the upper part of the visor to reach the areas I couldnt reach. Im also going to add some LED's soon, as well as looking for a good visor. Im a bit weary of online shopping, so Im checking some local motersport shops for one. Ill also be remaking the forearms, shins and thighs in HD since their not to my satisfaction. Im a pit of a perfectionist and only having it at this state for halloween nearly killed me, so from now on Im going to be focusing on quality.
-Gryphon

Don't worry about the lack of detail so far, I'd bet you impressed quite a few people on Halloween. Good luck with the improvements/future projects.

Again, I appologize for the lack of updates, however Ive done a recolor on my armor, installed a visor, have done a tiny bit of Bondo/Rondo work on the helmet and chest plate, in respective order.
Heres the top half of my armor:
DSCF2022.jpg

Heres a close up of my helmet:
DSCF2018.jpg

The reason that Ive colored it blue is that my friend, whoom I will nick name Caboose, needed the suit ready for an event. He also picked the specific paint. However things changed at the last moment and he decided not to use it, leaving me with a shiny blue suit.

The visor is a piece of clear flexible plastic that has been tinted by the technique listed in my signature. I still need to find a way to bend the visor around the black nose piece.

I decided to experiment with rondo to smooth out the front chest plate, and it seems that if I spent the time on it, it would probably yield good results. Its just that I underfilled the depression on the front of the plates and I was in too much of a hurry to fix it, creating those dips and the uneven surface. It is also a killer to sand down large quantities, as i went through 2, 100 grit sandpapers on my sander to smooth it down. Makes a nice looking dent though.
-Gryphon

DSCF2022.jpg

DSCF2018.jpg

Hey everybody, sorry that its been several months since my last update, lifes been a bit crazy. Meanwhilst, I've done a recolor and added a 2nd layer of fiberglass to my helmet. I spent all night a few weeks ago resanding it for an art competition (1st place FTW). One problem i ran into was that there was water under the spot putty and it began to flake off (I was screaming in fustration and sleep deprivation when this started happening at 7:00 AM). Still, I managed to disguise it with a good bit of battle damage. It was barely done in time to get shipped off that morning. Pics:
DSCF2348.jpg

DSCF2349.jpg

I even decided to hot glue in some headphones hehe
DSCF2350.jpg

On the other side of the spectrum, I created a pair of foam shin guards in HD to replace my crapy resin-paper old ones.
DSCF2345.jpg

DSCF2344.jpg

This build is now officially a fiber-foam hybrid build.
It definatly was a learning experience, as my left shin came out much better than my first, right one. Im setting up to make the forearms next.
Hopefully my life and budget will even out enough to finish this suit and begin working on my 2nd suit.
Again, question and comments are always appreciated.
-Gryphon

DSCF2348.jpg

DSCF2349.jpg

DSCF2350.jpg

DSCF2345.jpg

DSCF2344.jpg

Woah, things have changed a lot since I've last been here!

Even though I have not been here in a while (years), I have not stopped to make additions/changes to my armor.
So, owing to my recent fun at the Salt Lake City Comic Con 2015, I decided to update you on my armor's current state!
I'll use this photo compilation of the convention I threw together to show you-

SLC%20Comic%20Con%20Cosplay%20Highlights%20small.png
[/URL][/IMG]

1: My entire suit has been re-painted to an Italian olive to resemble the Chief himself:

2: I've remade my Forearm, Shin, and Thigh plates out of EVA foam in HD for details and durability

3: Helmet Circuitry overhaul- I've wired up the lights to run off of 4 AAA batteries located in the rear ridge of the helmet. all of the components are velcroed in for service and replacement. I've also modified the 2 black plastic "respirator pieces to have gaps at the bottom. This is to accommodate the dual CPU fans that cycle fresh air into the helmet. Talk about a life savor, it makes breathing much more pleasant. Is powered by a 9V battery wedged into the side of the visor brim. Here's the picture from inside the helmet:
P_20150928_221153_001.jpg

4: Under-suit upgrade- Spandex and a black Balaclava adds to a more complete look.

5: Harness Debugging- After wearing the suit for a good long while, I finally got around to fixing a few chinks in time for Comic-Con. Namely my shoulder plates and shin guards. The shoulder plates are suspended by a strap connecting them both, slung over my shoulders. This has an annoying tendency to slip down my back, but adding another strap to it that loops in front of my neck solved this. The shin guards usually just sit on my shoes, but can sometimes flip around backwards. My quick solution to this was to add a strap and a carabiner to the bottom of them that clipped onto my shoe.

6: Weapon Prop- The rifle in my hands is an unmodified fully auto water gel bead gun, under the brand Exploderz. Looks quite a bit like a DMR now doesn't it?

That's the update on my armor build, I still need to get around to making the hand plates and boots, but it's fairly functional as is.

That's the most part of this build's changes. In the coming months and years I foresee my equipment and tool base expanding, hopefully that means I can begin anew in building bigger and better things!

Take Care!

P_20150928_221153_001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back