Guns and magnets

Discussion in 'Halo Props' started by PillarofAutumn, Oct 2, 2018.

1. PillarofAutumn

PillarofAutumn Jr Member

should I glue magnets to my guns before or after plastidipping and painting? What glue should I use?

2. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Well-Known Member

What type of magnets are you using. If it's your standard fridge magnets, they will not be strong enough to hold whatever you are connecting to. Rare earth magnets are your best bet. I've seen magnets glued into place with both hot glue or contact cement. Just make sure glue has set and is holding magnet nicely. There is a risk of tearing magnets out of foam when pulling the magnets apart. Try covering one magnet with 2mm craft foam to help keep this from happening.
    As for paint, do it after magnets are installed. Wouldn't want to wreck a beautiful paint job by cutting divots into you armour and weapons.

TurboCharizard likes this.
  3. PillarofAutumn

PillarofAutumn Jr Member

I'm using rare earths. Was planning to glue to the surface of the gun, and recess the magnets on the armor and cover them

4. PillarofAutumn

PillarofAutumn Jr Member

Or should I recess both?

5. PaiganBoi

Both should be recessed.

6. PaiganBoi

Here's an example. It's not on a weapon but it'll give you insight.
    20180712_202839.jpg 20180712_202856.jpg

7. PillarofAutumn

PillarofAutumn Jr Member

Cool! One question with the exposed magnets, should I cover them while plastidipping and painting, or leave them exposed the whole time?

8. PaiganBoi

I didnt paint the magnets because they are hidden.
    In a visible area of armour or on the weapon you'll have to paint over it.

9. PillarofAutumn

PillarofAutumn Jr Member

Okay. And neodymium can take the paint well?

10. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Member

I'm not sure, but whenever I do it, I tend to put them just a little further so I can glue craft foam over the magnets and have the foam be flush with the rest of the armor/prop

11. PillarofAutumn

PillarofAutumn Jr Member

I was thinking about doing that on the armor side

12. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Member

If your prop is hollow like a boomco mod, open it up and attach the magnets to the inside. I recommend recessed magnets because if they are on the outside it takes away from your look.

mumgoot likes this.
  13. PillarofAutumn

PillarofAutumn Jr Member

Mine are foam, unfortuately. And already near-fully assembled from an additive standpoint

14. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Member

Well that's fine. I made a foam gunfighter magnum and it worked out fine. If you already glued it together you could dermal a hole or cut the clue back away, and glue the magnets into the hole made there. Then glue it back, and cover it up with foam putty or quick seal. You just have to mess around ;)

15. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

Yeah, I made the mistake of completely sealing up my boomco magnum. Not sure how I will attach it without ruining all my hard cosmetic work and painting.