H3 Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquishyShoes

Hey all,

Old man here, been just a part of the furniture for a while now, starting and stopping a few things not really worth posting about. Two and a half weeks ago, some friends invited me to a con next month and told me one of them was working on a costume. I assumed it was for the con, and so I took it as a challenge. Turns out she's not making it for the con and is wearing an old costume, but I figure I'll still try and get this done.

Rambling aside, here's some pics I guess. I just grabbed a heap off of my phone at different points so far, I've put done a coat of leak seal and a base layer of paint tonight.

Pattern adjusting, I guess.
nQBnmNi.jpg

So, the first chest piece I made used the default scaling, and was way too small for my body. Ironically, everything else was about right.
gPKSpFF.jpg

rUNchWu.jpg

I think this was a bout half a day's work?
NxUtrjM.jpg

Was sending sill teaser pics to a mate and the cropping made it look like Domo Kun, so I did a silly little sketch. Another mate is trying to convince me to put this on the final paint job haha
[IMGhttps://i.imgur.com/wwjTT7W.jpg[/IMG]
And these stupid shoulders. I had the perfect idea in my head for attaching the "wings" to the main body, spent a bit of time getting everything how I liked it, then just before I did it, I cut away the main piece I wanted to glue to, then did it to all the others. Had to glue a piece of bloody foam to the underside of everything to make it work. So it's now got a little bit of foam that only I will ever see in the recessed parts between the rivets. Such a pain in the rear, I had to tell someone ..
AIPAuwt.jpg

3LEtfIU.jpg

There are a few buckles on the armour which I knew I wasn't going to be able to make out of foam and be happy with them, so I drew a few sketches and had a mate whip a couple of 3d models for me to print out. I've since re-checked my reference images and realised I missed a piece on one of the buckles :/ Oh well, this is only meant to be "quick and dirty" right?
RS2sfgU.jpg

Gc68EVR.jpg

I will have to smooth them out between paint coats tomorrow and get them all chromed up and nice and neat.

More pics of foam building.
rWbkWKA.jpg

4k6SX4j.jpg

x2CZBwM.jpg

H0VHBty.jpg

dwbsmI3.jpg

I really need to clean my bench
HGc25xR.jpg

Some No More Gaps cleaned up some of the seams. It was my first time using this stuff, so I learnt a bit. Got a lot more to learn though.
2lvVBV9.jpg

And just a little bit of custom making that I was pretty happy with. Not overly relevant to the thread, but this took a few goes to get right so I wanted to share.
22KOuKl.jpg

WfYeDZw.jpg

egup7ec.jpg

Then the first coats of leak seal were next.
6nZC8d7.jpg

qbsZqFf.jpg

mcUgj0R.jpg

Z6eEfUv.jpg

hbML9ky.jpg

And then a hint of the silver base coat for the Shoulder/Bicep pieces.
hbML9ky.jpg

There ya go Project, I started a build thread.

S

Couldn't get my airbrush to work properly today, so all this work was for nought since I just painted over it with a brush :/
lUkC20J.jpg

I don't think I like the colour I picked, but hoping I can adjust it a bit with some washing.
kKGLnIq.jpg

Some weathering
W7LLIpI.jpg

OSNE0Bo.jpg

Knv6meH.jpg

gGq52Yc.jpg

Work's over for the weekend, hopefully I can fix or hide a bunch of these mistakes with some weathering and washing.

Sooooo.... The con was like a week and a half ago? Approaching two weeks lol.

Been a bit lazy, been meaning to update this thread with some pics, but bit the bullet today when a photographer that was there officially released his. So.

To start with, here's the nerf gun I painted two nights beforehand after work. Pretty bloody happy with how it turned out all things considered. A lot of happy little accidents that ended up working out.
0MJPNbB.jpg

Couple of con photos, the two official ones in the centre, and one at the end with my favourite local cosplayer.
Dmi5YGz.jpg

698odOn.jpg

uB38F73.jpg

xkT2jXl.jpg

Seeing these photos here, and in this lighting I see a lot of things that I would change (like the pants that were two sizes too big for me... thanks internet supplier.. :/ ), but overall I'm happy for what was meant to be a quick and dirty speed build for somethign to wear. Seeing the wozard of iz (featured above), and seeing her win the local contest has kinda invigorated me. I'm excited o build again, and have already started making plans for the next build. Gonna go big and bold. Wanna beat her in the next contest hahaha.

That won't be for a while unfortunately, I will be working on something else before him. I'm kinda disappointed I got no good photos of the back of my armour. I was really proud of that. I even had Turbo model some quick little D Rings that I painted chrome. I'll have to see if I can get a photo of that later. lol

That won't be for a while unfortunately, I will be working on something else before him. I'm kinda disappointed I got no good photos of the back of my armour. I was really proud of that. I even had Turbo model some quick little D Rings that I painted chrome. I'll have to see if I can get a photo of that later. lol
If you'd like to share them I can toss the files for your D rings here as well.

Sounds great man, if people want them I'm happy to share. Just didn't want to go adding them without asking, and as we can see. I don't run through the to do list too fast. The front buckles as well maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back