H3 MK VI by DYNAMIC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic1

Alright guys, after a couple months of research and consultation by none other than SBG.....here goes yet again, another MK VI ; ). I'd like to preface this WIP by stating that although I am new to the Halo universe, I do have a modicum of experience w/ prop/ costuming. I would like to thank Carpathia, justbarnett, and Robotchicken for lending a hand w/ some of my questions....a special thanks to SBG for a TON of wonderful incite and his willingness to cheer me on in the wee hours of the night....and another special shout-out to ROBOGEN for his wonderful files. That being said, allow me to bring you guys up to speed.
After several practice runs, testing various techniques and staving off the expected frustration which is Pepakura ; ), I am pretty satisfied w/ where I'm at.

Image.jpg

Comparison.jpg

Helping%20hands.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Essentially I began w/ RC's "size test" lid in order to establish a starting point. I wasn't disappointed as this provided me w/ a great deal of information as to the scaling. Below are some measuring techniques I used along w/ what seemed to be a reasonable hypothesis for the scaling in question.... This turned out to be largely INCORRECT in accordance w/ ROBOGENS file however, provided the information which I am able to share with all of you.

Head
Length- 12"w/ tape and 9.5" w ruler (going off tape for initial test build of H3 MK6)
Width- 9" w/tape and 7" w/ Chek caliper (if needed will use tape on initial testbuild)
Hypothesis
According to VickoMF's youtube channel, the individual is suggesting that "300 mm is thegold standard for someone 6' in height... 330 mm was way too large." basedupon this idea we can conjecture as follows:
5' 10"-6'= 300mm ---> Height= 18"
5'7"-5'9"=280-285 mm ---> Height= 16"

Result: The above scaling was highly inconsistent as 285mm would seem to be more suitable for the 5'10"-6' height scale.

Halo%20test2.jpg

Resin1.jpg

Test5.jpg

After V.1 was complete I decided, w/ the help of SBG, to take a shot at a 267mm V.2 which proved to be a great fit for my height/ build. As a result of this, it is my thought that anyone using ROBOGENs file to take the following into consideration when scaling:

Head

5' 10"-6'= 275-285 mm
5'7"-5'9"= 260-270 mm

Note: Please understand this is not set in stone but may provide a newcomer w/ a head start.

Below are some images of the 267mm along side the 285mm as well as how this turned out as far as fit...

Final%20Sizing.jpg

Size.jpg

As of present, I have laid down 2 coats of resin on the 285mm as well as the initial coat on the 267mm. Once this cures over the next couple of days I will begin glassing the interior of both, followed by ofcourse, the bondo process. As always, your keen eye and expertise is welcome and I look forward to sharing the process w/ all of you.

Image.jpg

Comparison.jpg

Helping%20hands.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Halo%20test2.jpg

Resin1.jpg

Test5.jpg

Final%20Sizing.jpg

Size.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
YES SIR! Welcome to the 405TH! Hah, you don't really need a welcome from me, but someone needs to break the ice! Just wanna to let everyone know your in for a treat! Lol, how does it feel to be a noob again? Although we both know that's not really the case.

Heh - I still consider myself to be a noob. :p

I love seeing the photos from people building up the models SirPalesAlot and I are making. You guys pep so much faster and it's great seeing these models much further along than my own build. It looks like you got the helmet scaling figured out.

Heh - I still consider myself to be a noob. :p

I love seeing the photos from people building up the models SirPalesAlot and I are making. You guys pep so much faster and it's great seeing these models much further along than my own build. It looks like you got the helmet scaling figured out.

Yes..this is always the toughest part for me as I don't consider myself to be very PC savvy LOL!:D

Just curious....what color can I use for this lid which is, in fact "canon"...sorry as I'm not a big gamer (although i did play Halo 1) and my halo knowledge is more versed with the films.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright...small update. Just about to lay down the FG. When working w/ FG a little information that was shared to me by a good friend and prop mentor was to pre cut the matt into 1.5-2" squares. This makes for an easy application process as well as an amazingly clean result! More pics to follow!

Bondo%20and%20FG.jpg

Attachments

• Bondo%20and%20FG.jpg
    Bondo%20and%20FG.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 224
Alright..after a couple hours worth of work, I've got this bad boy glassed.....Let the fun begin:lol

FG4.jpg

FG3.jpg

Attachments

• FG3.jpg
    FG3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 190
  • FG4.jpg
    FG4.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 189
Alright..Another update....Over the last couple of days I was as able to throw down 2 coats of bondo followed by some spot/ glazing putty. I am pretty happy w/ where I am at however, an area which I am going to be really trying to detail is the "step" section on the nose. This is an area that will really need some TLC as it's not sharp enough for my liking. I plan to add some more putty then address the detail with a file along w/ some 220 sandpaper...any suggestions to sharpin this up are welcome. From left to right, here is where I am as of an hour ago....

Prelim.jpg

Attachments

• Prelim.jpg
    Prelim.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 183
Curious to why you're smoothing out the visor area. Usually those faces are removed after hardening and replaced with a transparent material for visibility.

Hey guys....Very pleased w/ what I have accomplished w/ the anterior. Keep in mind the detail that I am adding is all hand sculpted...the quintessential definition of insanity really LMAO!!! On to the sides for now:thumbsup

Clean%20Anterior1.jpg

Attachments

• Clean%20Anterior1.jpg
    Clean%20Anterior1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 183
Made some headway this afternoon. Was able to bondo and fill the lateral aspects as well as sculpt in the posterior detail. Would like to smooth out and refine followed by addressing the neck section this week...

Lateral1.jpg

Posterior%20Detail1.jpg

Attachments

• Posterior%20Detail1.jpg
    Posterior%20Detail1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Lateral1.jpg
    Lateral1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back