H3 Scorpion 1:1 model/ vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CollinMcCaf

Wanna see more? Be sure to check out CollinMcCaf's Model Repository!

Here we are, its finally time.....

This project as it currently stands, shall be the creation of engineering drawings such that an individual would be able to construct for themselves a 1:1 scale Halo 3 Scorpion. Once complete, I will be doing a time and cost breakdown in order to decide whether the project is worthwhile continuing. Anyway, here's where we are:

The first challenge was to figure out what 1:1 scale even means, the wiki has the tank listed as 26ft wide. This, is unrealistic. Assuming its driving down the freeway, the treads would be driving on both shoulders. My tape measure wasn't even long enough

IMG_20190901_223055.jpg

Don't believe me? Try measuring it out yourself, its a (over)sight to behold.

So, it was back to the drawing board. This time, forgoing the information found in both official Halo canon and the questionable wiki's, I took to the game itself. Laying out next to a scorpion, 24 inch icicles and 55 gallon drums (assumed to be 34.7 inches tall). The icicles ended up not being super useful but the drums spit out a width of 18ft.

70340560_2340276616290871_2799590100214743040_n.jpg

Armed with my new found knowledge, I took to my 3d modeling program. Scaled the Scorpion to be 18ft wide, and Chief to be 6 foot 1 inch tall so that hes the same size as the marines we're use to seeing on the turret (I didn't have a marine model handy, I know hes suppose to be 6'7") and voila, Chief is no longer the shrimp he was originally. I feel this is significantly closer to what we see in game.

Before: Master Shrimp
69398666_466507654199737_5639117194349510656_n.jpg

After:
69811893_492417444825505_1286342086676709376_n.jpg

Going forward:

The powertrain has already been decided on, it will use an engine attached to a generator, this supplies a bank (for the sake of evening out power fluctuation), which then goes to the electric motors in each track having passed through an appropriate motor controller.

Thus far, I intend on designing the majority of the tank to be constructed out of 1/8th inch steel as it is both easily cnc plasma cut and, should with proper internal structure, be rigid enough to feel like an inconceivably thick hull. Thermal interaction and harmonics would otherwise giveaway the facade. (you could tell if it was fiberglass or wood)

If you have any input, be sure to leave it below. This project is also in need of more man hours than I am currently able to allot to it, if you are an experienced modeler, or someone familiar with the field of engineering and would like to become a part of this on-going project, let me know.

Last edited:
As someone who has tried to achieve this build before (With almost identical measurements which is kinda freaky and cool) I wish you the best of luck. I recommend that you try and make it so it can be disassembled in various pieces otherwise transporting it will be almost impossible. Mine was built on an old van frame, using its original tires and motor, with the treads being false and also removable. Most highways and roads have a law that if the item you're hauling is over 8.5 feet wide or 12 feet tall (including the trailer) then you have to have it classified as a "Wide Load" with markers and may even require additional transport vehicles.
The tank is still a dream item for me to build, but I've learned that sometimes things like that just are not worth it to try and do full scale for sake of headache of transport and maintenance. Either way I know of a lot of people who are going to be praising you, myself included, for actually having made a 3D render of the tank proper. Wish I could help with the build, but I'm way on the other side of the states =/
18581876_1790473040966518_5589483106749240919_n.jpg

I know a mechanical engineer who is good with big machines and vehicles. He may be able to give some advice.

A manufacturing engineer would likely be the person to talk to at this point, where I am now, creating the curved hull sections as well as stamping out the track components are the most prominent issues. I've already found someone who will be programing the powertrain and have a general understanding of how to go about making everything work.

As someone who has tried to achieve this build before (With almost identical measurements which is kinda freaky and cool) I wish you the best of luck. I recommend that you try and make it so it can be disassembled in various pieces otherwise transporting it will be almost impossible. Mine was built on an old van frame, using its original tires and motor, with the treads being false and also removable. Most highways and roads have a law that if the item you're hauling is over 8.5 feet wide or 12 feet tall (including the trailer) then you have to have it classified as a "Wide Load" with markers and may even require additional transport vehicles.
The tank is still a dream item for me to build, but I've learned that sometimes things like that just are not worth it to try and do full scale for sake of headache of transport and maintenance. Either way I know of a lot of people who are going to be praising you, myself included, for actually having made a 3D render of the tank proper. Wish I could help with the build, but I'm way on the other side of the states =/

The tracks are going removable which brings the width down to 8.4 ft, just under the legal limit. I plan on cnc plasma cutting the majority of the scorpion which should make the actual fabrication portion of the build go quickly. The model I have in the images prior, are the game model and I am currently working to complete a NURB model from which I can calculate a rough estimate regarding weight and cost. In addition to this, I should be able to run the suspension through a simulation to ensure the suspension geometry is going to work

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back