H4 chest armour types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello 405th

so, i was looking through the file archive today and found 3 (including the standard MC) chest armours pep'ed and ready for printing.

some of the chest armours are really cool so I guess my question is this... How come there isn't more pep'ed out???

I had a quick bash at unfolding one my self and it was very complex, is this the reason there isn't more, or are people not a big fan of the H4 chest armour?

just a thought

The main reason is that the files aren't optimised for Pepakura - there are a lot of intersecting faces and geometry. There's also the fact that the files lack detail - most of the detail is displayed in the model texture.

Oh I see, does this mean it can't be done or it would be a massive job?

id like to start unfolding models, for my own use and I'd also like to give something back to the 405 community... Maybe H4 armour isn't the place to start :)

i also looked at some forefunner weapons and they were even more complex :-/

Basically what a lot of people do is just unfold the game-ripped models without and modification. And of course this leads to a ton of problems and unnecessary work is the piping process.

So they need to be, at the least, cleaned up and tweaked before importing them into pepakura.

You can build whatever you get. But like Arcanine said, they would be lacking a bunch of detail (it's all is the normals map, it changes the direction light bounces off the surface to fake detail). And you will run into a lot of intersecting geometry, overlooked double verts, and a lot of non planar surfaces, which are practical for building meshes out of paper.

So in short: It's best to have models made for the job, and not models made for a game engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back