Had a different idea...went with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost ready to mold. Got my supplies and everything.

DSCF0760.jpg

DSCF0766.jpg

DSCF0763.jpg

DSCF0761.jpg

DSCF0758.jpg

Too sweet. One of these days I have to try this method, I've been working with clay and sculpting singe I was a kid, but don't know jack about molding. I need a permenent workspace for something like this. Keep up the good work because that looks awesome

its only a method to make a mold out of it, but i have to say, thats awesome.
its really smooth and there are now scratches like the one after sanding bondo.

keep up the work and please give us some infos about the molding process ;)

That's looking really fantastic!! I'm not a fan of Bondo (or anything toxic, for that matter), and I'm really surprised, happy, and impressed with how you're using the combination of pep and clay. After seeing the results you're getting, I'm super excited to try this out myself! One thing, though, I would recommend smoothing it out more, if you can, as parts of the surface still look a bit uneven. Fill in the low spots and scrape down the high spots. What tools were you using for the smoothing? Did my noob-tips help you at all? Admittedly, they may not be the most helpful, but if you work in small sections, take your time, and have the right tools and good lighting, it makes a huge difference. If, however, you're planning on working it out in the cast, I can understand that, too... smoothing clay is hard. I'm sure you'll let us know how it goes!

Can you describe the process of getting the clay onto the pep piece? Did you just pour it on, or paint it on, or use a spreader, or what? What are those gray lines? Is that just the pep piece showing through?

Works well but the Pepping part kills the time.

On the contrary!! I'm speaking only for myself, here, but if you have terrible spatial awareness and no eye for form or symmetry, it's a huge time SAVER!

That's looking really fantastic!! I'm not a fan of Bondo (or anything toxic, for that matter), and I'm really surprised, happy, and impressed with how you're using the combination of pep and clay. After seeing the results you're getting, I'm super excited to try this out myself! One thing, though, I would recommend smoothing it out more, if you can, as parts of the surface still look a bit uneven. Fill in the low spots and scrape down the high spots. What tools were you using for the smoothing? Did my noob-tips help you at all? Admittedly, they may not be the most helpful, but if you work in small sections, take your time, and have the right tools and good lighting, it makes a huge difference. If, however, you're planning on working it out in the cast, I can understand that, too... smoothing clay is hard. I'm sure you'll let us know how it goes!

What are those gray lines, by the way? Is that just the pep piece showing through?

Yes that would be the pep showing through in places where I need the clay to be as thin as possible. Doesn't hurt the look. I have smoothed it out a bit more and added the detail on the tube pieces. I also have put primer on it. Which I know to be risky, but actually helped fill in a bit of the hard to smooth out parts and anything else I'm not happy with I'll just sand a tad once casted.

DSCF0785.jpg

Oh wow, that coat of primer on there makes a huge difference! Makes me wish I'd done it now :) More pics, please!!

You guys are fantastically nice. Thanks a ton.

I put the silicon on last night and it is now completely cured and I am ready to put on the plasti-paste.

DSCF0809.jpg

So, how is it going? What silicone are you using there? What are you using for your parting line? Have you started with the Plasti-Paste yet? Have you used it before? If you haven't I have some tips for you on working with it. I posted them last night in my Samus thread, but I can re-post here, if you'd like. I'm really interested in seeing what kind of results you got!!

I love how you have worked the clay in this...def might have to do this...how much did the clay that you used run you if you dont mind me asking?

Coot

DSCF0811.jpg

I screwed up the original shell and it wouldn't come off. This is my second attempt and it is perfect. I made it into four sections and it worked out really well.

The cast I make still won't be the complete thing I will tweak and adjust and make another mold. I just made a cast and will upload pics later, still yet to check if it is successful. I'm nervous.

Wow, what a coincidence, I was just searching for this thread yesterday! Ouch, dude, I feel for you. How did you end up getting the old one off? Congratulations on your first cast, though, even if it is a transition! I understand your nervousness, too... Can't wait to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back