Had a different idea...went with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tis two helmets!!
DSCF0816.jpg

Casted, sanded, primed, and ready for the visor.

Awesome work that's how I started my Gray Fox helmet but used cheap clay so I took a step farther and made a plaster version... Looks like it worked much better for you!

Congrats on the successful pull! Looking smooooooth! Seems like more and more people are getting the hang of resin casting. Yet another shining example of hard work that gives me hope my own experiments will lead to something... hopefully just as awesome. :D

!!!!!!!!! DUDE!
I just came across this thread for the first time. That is some absolutely beautiful work. Absolutely beautiful.

This is great! I actually just remade my mark VI pep after getting to the bondo stage on my other one and not liking how it turned out. This however is very tempting. I've never worked with clay short of ya know...building little Mr. Bills in art class shortly before squishing them. What brand of clay did you use? Where's it available? Smoothing, carving techniques and tools?
Keep up the awesome work!

Excellent thanks for the response. One last thing, do you know approx how much clay you used? Prefer to place just one order :)

I only used 2 lbs which is one unit of clay from that website. I had a good 1/4 th of the block left too. That is all you would need for one helmet if you did it my way. Also consider though that I already did some of the helmet with bondo. I would get two blocks just to be safe and so you have something to start with on your next project :).

Yes I am selling casts as soon as I get on my feet and buy some more casting resin. I heard there was a classifieds on the forum but I haven't seen it.

I heard there was a classifieds on the forum but I haven't seen it.

Once you get to 100 forum posts.. you can see the classified section. They did that to limit the number of people jumping on the site, buying someone's work and recasting for profit. This way, you have to hang around the site and see how things are done, get to know people, contribute.. all that good stuff.

Btw, I love the method you used in making yor helmet and was working on the same style of smoothing with clay over a hardened pep. Very nice work you have and a great idea I thought!

Well looks like I'll be hanging around a while first, lol. I figured it was something like that I just hadn't put any effort what so ever into finding it or why I couldn't yet.

*applauds... AWESOME!!! I'm so glad this worked out! Congrats, it looks great! I was going to try this method, but I had a different idea... and I'm going with it ;) One thing I don't think I got... What did you use to reinforce it? Fiberglass resin, casting resin, or rondo? And am I mistaken, or did you go with thorssoli's three-part mold configuration? Do you have any pics of the finished mold with the silicone and the mother mold?

I used this medium hardness of this: http://www.miapoxy.com/p-1-chavant-non-sulphur-plastiline-nsp-clay.aspx

If you want some good smoothing techniques and such I would suggest checking out ShadowKat's thread for his Samus Aran Helm.

Thanks for the plug, Surmainey! I did receive a lot of really good tips, and even made use of a few of them. I used the same clay, myself, about ten pounds of it, it's good stuff! Of course, if you're putting the clay on an already pepped and strengthened piece, you won't need nearly as much. Basically, as I understand Surmainey's technique, you're simply using clay instead of Bondo. Not good if you're using it as a final piece, but very good if you're going to mold and cast.

Precisely right, and great job on your helmet. I did the pep then resined the outside and inside then fiberglassed the inside and bondo'd the outside a bit. The bondo on the outside though was because I was originally going to do it completely with bondo. I changed my mind after I started it. If I did it again I would not have bondo'd the outside at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back