Halo 1 Marine cosplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress is lookin' great! I've nearly finished my CE Marine build so if you need any tips, I'm happy to help. I'm sure you've seen it already, but Jubal has posted a series of reference images here that are EXTREMELY helpful. Keep it up!
Thank you!
I have so many references I could make a small slideshow probably.

I have two good questions to ask so far. First is there a pattern for the plates directly above the knees?

Second the green lens what are you using to make it? I have seen a few different way of doing it. I was going to find a green light up bracelet and take it apart. Then get it to shine on the lens. It makes more sense with pictures then explaining it.

Bondo fibreglass resin with bondo fibreglass cloth should be good. I found mine for relatively cheap in my walmart, but as you are up north, I dont know how much of a problem temperature would be
I will look at prices for it. I’m probably going to get the paint first though and work on my weathering technique.

I have seen people use just the resin before and no cloth. Will the cloth provide more strength to it?

Don't forget a 3m respirator (the real kind not the dust mask) and some nitrile gloves.
I know I have gloves in the basement and I think the respirator is down there also. It probably needs to have the filters replaced though.

I was going to work in the garage when applying the resin. I do all my painting there.

I have two good questions to ask so far. First is there a pattern for the plates directly above the knees?
Second the green lens what are you using to make it? I have seen a few different way of doing it. I was going to find a green light up bracelet and take it apart. Then get it to shine on the lens. It makes more sense with pictures then explaining it.

I should still have the patterns for those plates (I assume you mean the ones with the three parts for each leg). I'll scan 'em in when I can and send them through. These were painted and hot glued onto some fabric which was then velcroed to my pants. Just a heads up though, I desgined them for my legs, and I'm pretty tall and skinny.

For the lens, I got a sheet of acrylic, cut out a rectangle and engraved some binary into it using a dremel. I sorta shrink-wrapped green cellophane over it (it's messy but looks fine from a distance) and held it on with a bit of super and hot glue. Before the next con I think I'll paint white into the engraved parts (to make them stand out more) and I'll put an LED behind the lens. This acrylic lens is secured to a piece of foam painted black and is all attached to the helmet via a nut and bolt (I wanted to make it removable for transportation so it doesn't get snapped off, same with the mic on the helmet).

A green light up bracelet I can definitely see working, as long as the plastic is big enough. Much less painful then the approach I took (I just wanted to try something new for me).

EDIT: Attached a PDF of the leg armour, outlined in Inkscape. Do note that this is an A4 document, don't know if you'll have to resize it if you have different document sizes where you live.

Attachments

• MarineLegArmour.pdf
    1.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I will look at prices for it. I’m probably going to get the paint first though and work on my weathering technique.

I have seen people use just the resin before and no cloth. Will the cloth provide more strength to it?
Resin adds strength when it hardens, but the cloth is actually the structure. Almost like the cloth is the skeleton and the resin is the muscle and skin. The resin holds it in place and adds a buffer, but when applied to the mat or cloth, it stiffens and acts as a support.

For the visor, I would reccomend flourescant acrylic. It is just plexiglass that has a color and glows in light. A good place to see it in action is in punishedprops samus helmet build video, and odinmakes dragonball z scouter. I know someplaces have it cheaper than others, and I was planning to purchase some from this site since it looked better and was alot more budget friendly.
I havent done an extensive amount of research though, and there may be a reason why it is cheaper, but if for whatever reason you do use this product, let us know how it goes :)

I should still have the patterns for those plates (I assume you mean the ones with the three parts for each leg). I'll scan 'em in when I can and send them through. These were painted and hot glued onto some fabric which was then velcroed to my pants. Just a heads up though, I desgined them for my legs, and I'm pretty tall and skinny.

For the lens, I got a sheet of acrylic, cut out a rectangle and engraved some binary into it using a dremel. I sorta shrink-wrapped green cellophane over it (it's messy but looks fine from a distance) and held it on with a bit of super and hot glue. Before the next con I think I'll paint white into the engraved parts (to make them stand out more) and I'll put an LED behind the lens. This acrylic lens is secured to a piece of foam painted black and is all attached to the helmet via a nut and bolt (I wanted to make it removable for transportation so it doesn't get snapped off, same with the mic on the helmet).

A green light up bracelet I can definitely see working, as long as the plastic is big enough. Much less painful then the approach I took (I just wanted to try something new for me).

EDIT: Attached a PDF of the leg armour, outlined in Inkscape. Do note that this is an A4 document, don't know if you'll have to resize it if you have different document sizes where you live.
Yes that very one you are a saint thank you.

Resin adds strength when it hardens, but the cloth is actually the structure. Almost like the cloth is the skeleton and the resin is the muscle and skin. The resin holds it in place and adds a buffer, but when applied to the mat or cloth, it stiffens and acts as a support.

For the visor, I would reccomend flourescant acrylic. It is just plexiglass that has a color and glows in light. A good place to see it in action is in punishedprops samus helmet build video, and odinmakes dragonball z scouter. I know someplaces have it cheaper than others, and I was planning to purchase some from this site since it looked better and was alot more budget friendly.
I havent done an extensive amount of research though, and there may be a reason why it is cheaper, but if for whatever reason you do use this product, let us know how it goes :)
I will look into what makes it cheaper. I have a resin mold right now that would be a good shape for the sight. I could make a thin sheet of resin and then shape it. I think I have green glow resin powder also or I can just order some.

B590B426-D1DB-42BF-84EC-C21AAE4CD401.jpeg

I got one leg done and the other is half put together right now. This one fits much better.

Hey, long time no update.

I know its been a while life is a little crazy for me right now but the armor is still being worked on. It is a side project for me so I do it when I can. With the holidays coming up it's a little nuts. I will be doing some test work before I actually make the armor also so I can do a good job when doing the resin and painting. I will need to learn to use bondo also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back