Halo 2 style armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJuggernaut

I have this thing about building things. I love hands on work. But... I never settle for anything that doesn't do more than average.
So I am currently working on a set of "working" armor.
I am almost done with the helmet, all that needs to be done is installing the visor, and some wireing. the helmet has been tested to support a +/- 300 psi pressure differential, which means it works for diving and as a space suit. I designed the regulator and air supply myself. This is going to be one heck of a build. It will also be freak'n awesome. :cool: any comments/ ideas please post freely.

That sounds great! If you do finish it, it would be the first suit to be able to dive in water! Hey,but good luck! :D

Allen, as soon as I finish the helmet and take a test dive (scheduled for the 30th), I will post pictures and directions for making it.

PS - I have a partially working HUD that shows air remaining, the time, and the depth, as well as my heart rate and blood pressure. I will post directions on the HUD after i finish the suit.

ok guys, after a few months of school, family stuff, and a college research project, I can finally get back to my armor. And guess what... I have pics! :D

OK, here are the pictures:

This is the resin I have been using
IMG_2997.jpg

Here is the mold release, good for protecting things you don't want resin on
IMG_2997.jpg

when 5200, resin, or anything stick gets on you, use this:
IMG_3002.jpg

Now, if your pet wishes to watch/help in your project, I suggest you let them. My cat likes the smell of fiberglass resin almost as much as I do.
IMG_3007.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2997.jpg
    IMG_2997.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2997.jpg
    IMG_2997.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2997.jpg
    IMG_2997.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3002.jpg
    IMG_3002.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3007.jpg
    IMG_3007.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 126
NOW! time to explain how the visor works.

The visor I'm using is a polycarbonate/lexan sheet from a facemask that I found pretty cheaply at Harbor Frieght. It attaches with a few screws around the edge, which tighten it down on to the homemade gasket, made from weatherstripping.

Heres the weatherstripping I used, and some pics:

IMG_2999-1.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3008.jpg
    IMG_3008.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2999-1.jpg
    IMG_2999-1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 134
Ok, well one more detail i forgot to add about the seal. The weatherstrip comes with some sort of adhesive on it. this is not suitable for diving. it's not very permanent, and tends to just fall off. NOT ACCEPTABLE. Use the goof off to remove it, simply by wiping it away. when attaching it, use 3M's 4200 or 5200 marine grade adhesives, which are very permanent and tend to get on everything, so have paper towels and goof off on hand.

Are you wearing a Respirator? If not, You need to be. The Chemicals are very toxic to you. Especially your lungs. The comment about your cat liking the smell as much as you made me think you're not. I would also highly suggest keeping any animals away from the place your doing this.

Other then that, keep up the good work.

Good work on the project. I hope it will turn out good in the future and I'm
looking forward to more updates

good luck!

Well, I went to add the little box-like thing on the back of the helmet, it got very cold, and resin won't harden below 40° F, sometimes staying wet for weeks(I know this from personal experience), so I had to keep the helmet outside, and warm so I did this:

[video]http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l559/A_Wehmann/Halo%20diving%20suit/?action=view&current=MVI_3026.mp4[/video]

Are you wearing a Respirator?

yes, I am.
But, even with a supplied air mask, you still smell it:confused:

and as for my cat, he just likes to roam around, and he isn't in the area long enough to cause harm.

WooHoo wanted to let readers know that I started off the new year by working on the electronics, got my microcontroller communicaions set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back