halo 3 hunter 10' tall

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many layers of fiberglass did you do? I remember with your Mk VI you did quite a few. Maybe the better question is, how much would you guess the chest weighs so far?

I am shooting for just one coat of glass, but I will most likely add some in some areas where I will be sanding thru the paper. Even though I am not a big fan of bondo, I will be needing to add a little here and there. Some areas buckled inward when I glassed it. My best guess on finished weight of the chest is going to be about 7 pounds.

My best guess on finished weight of the chest is going to be about 7 pounds.

That's pretty good for how big of a piece that is. You've probably already experienced sanding through paper doing your helmet, but if not.. I would recommend using super glue when you break through to the paper fibers. It soaks into the paper fibers and hardens them letting you sand them down much easier.

So I just finished glassing the head, and it looks like one coat will do. I'm going to add one more coat of resin to the outside of it just to add a touch of thickness for when I start sanding. Tomorrow I will be picking up more glass and then I will get started on the spines.

20160411_151434.jpg

So went harbor freight to day and they had these 6x8 fiber glass welding blankets on sale for 23$. That worked out to be .47 cents per square foot, and it is actually a nicer weave than the standard glass cloth. Works like a dream! With any luck it will have the spines glassed today. Then on to the stomach plates.

So I finally got a chance to get some more glass work done. I finished the spines, spine knuckles, the 2 stomach plates, and about half of the cod piece done. Work has been crazy lately. Which is good for the wallet, but bad for free time. Hopefully I will have the cod piece done by this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back