1st Build Halo 3 MK VI build (foam)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixelcube

Hello, I am new to the 405th and to costuming in general and after reading through hours of threads I have decided to try to make my own suit. I have decided to build the MK VI from Halo 3 (don't ask me why) using foam mainly because I don't really have the space to use fiberglass/resin. I already started making some parts and I will be posting my progress here.

I am open to suggestions/tips that you guys might have. Thanks

Here are the parts that I have already assembled. I am probably going to add some details to them later.

1624990322642.png1624990490116.png1624990853591.png

Also a question about the boots. How do you attach the foam to the shoes that you are going to wear?
I am wondering if there is a way that you do not need to permanently glue the foam to the shoes.
Thanks.

Also a question about the boots. How do you attach the foam to the shoes that you are going to wear?
I am wondering if there is a way that you do not need to permanently glue the foam to the shoes.
Thanks.
I haven't gotten to the boots yet for my build but I have seen people make the boot armor not permanently attached to the boots. I think they use elastic so that the pieces are all pulling towards each other around the boot itself. That is more or less my plan although ODST boots are different than spartan boots.

Howdy! Shoe goo is pretty simple to use. Just goop a bunch on to the back of your seems, and then let it sit for a while. Note you'll be using gravity to autolevel and auto smooth (because it'll spread out and even out over time), so don't rotate the prop in a way sothat gravity will drip it down off of the seam. If you skip to about 19:00 I show a little of me using shoe goo at the end of this tutorial:

If that doesn't answer your question let me know and I'll provide more detail when I'm off work.

Howdy! Shoe goo is pretty simple to use. Just goop a bunch on to the back of your seems, and then let it sit for a while. Note you'll be using gravity to autolevel and auto smooth (because it'll spread out and even out over time), so don't rotate the prop in a way sothat gravity will drip it down off of the seam. If you skip to about 19:00 I show a little of me using shoe goo at the end of this tutorial:

If that doesn't answer your question let me know and I'll provide more detail when I'm off work.
Thanks for the video, I just have a few questions. Do you need to let it cure in a well ventilated space? And Im guessing that a basic paint and pesticide respirator will do?

Thanks for the video, I just have a few questions. Do you need to let it cure in a well ventilated space? And Im guessing that a basic paint and pesticide respirator will do?
Needs to be well ventilated yeah, or if it's not well ventilated (like a closed garage), just don't let people in there for a week or two. You need an organic vapors respirator, my guess is that that includes pesticides but I can't say for certain.

Needs to be well ventilated yeah, or if it's not well ventilated (like a closed garage), just don't let people in there for a week or two. You need an organic vapors respirator, my guess is that that includes pesticides but I can't say for certain.
Thanks for the help but I don't think that I will be able to use shoe goo (not enough space). Do you know of any other way to reinforce the seams or is hot glue good enough?

Thanks for the help but I don't think that I will be able to use shoe goo (not enough space). Do you know of any other way to reinforce the seams or is hot glue good enough?
a lot of people do hot glue yeah, though I can't attest to it personally because I've never used it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back