Halo 3 Mk VI - Can I get a little direction here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyHalo117

Okay, so I'm looking to do something fairly different, and complex (Call me crazy!) but I'm needing a different way of building this costume.

Basically, I want to make the armor out of STYROFOAM. Not foam, but styrofoam. There is a very good reason for this, I won't go into details. Either styrofoam or wax, whichever is easier/quicker/cheaper. I was thinking of doing cut layers of styrofoam that, when glued together, make the 3d object, like this...
||
|||||
||||||||||
|||||||||||||
|||||||||||||
||||||| ||||
||||||| ||||
||||||| ||||

Boom, now it's a house (kinda). You get the point.
The thing is, I don't know where to get files I could use to trace on the styrofoam layers and put it all together. I want the suit to be about 3/8th to 3/4th of an inch thick on all walls, and I've got to size it to my body as well (average guy, 6'0" even, shouldn't be too hard to size it). Anyway. Any ideas on what I can do, or if you can offer me help with getting these files and getting this done, I promise you that I'll make a suit the 405th will be proud to see. It's going to be REALLY cool. I just need to know how to make that 3d styrofoam bit of it, I'll handle the rest.

Any help is MUCH appreciated, guys! Reply here, pm me, or email me too

Okay, so I'm looking to do something fairly different, and complex (Call me crazy!) but I'm needing a different way of building this costume.

Basically, I want to make the armor out of STYROFOAM. Not foam, but styrofoam. There is a very good reason for this, I won't go into details. Either styrofoam or wax, whichever is easier/quicker/cheaper. I was thinking of doing cut layers of styrofoam that, when glued together, make the 3d object, like this...
||
|||||
||||||||||
|||||||||||||
|||||||||||||
||||||| ||||
||||||| ||||
||||||| ||||

Boom, now it's a house (kinda). You get the point.
The thing is, I don't know where to get files I could use to trace on the styrofoam layers and put it all together. I want the suit to be about 3/8th to 3/4th of an inch thick on all walls, and I've got to size it to my body as well (average guy, 6'0" even, shouldn't be too hard to size it). Anyway. Any ideas on what I can do, or if you can offer me help with getting these files and getting this done, I promise you that I'll make a suit the 405th will be proud to see. It's going to be REALLY cool. I just need to know how to make that 3d styrofoam bit of it, I'll handle the rest.

Any help is MUCH appreciated, guys! Reply here, pm me, or email me too
sounds like you need a sliced file for that but i dont know where you would get one... try the file archive. and Styrofoam? bold choice.

sounds like you need a sliced file for that but i dont know where you would get one... try the file archive. and Styrofoam? bold choice.

Yeah, sliced is exactly what I mean. I'm checking out the files for the Mk VI. And styrofoam is important, cause that's just to model it for now. It will be made out of something else entirely by the time I'm done with it. I just need styrofoam for the mold. It's going to be a bit of work, but with any luck, I might be one of the first to make a build like this. Not the first to try, I've heard of others trying it, but I have a different technique that might work really well, more durable than other builds and is cheaper than foam or fiberglass.

Yeah, sliced is exactly what I mean. I'm checking out the files for the Mk VI. And styrofoam is important, cause that's just to model it for now. It will be made out of something else entirely by the time I'm done with it. I just need styrofoam for the mold. It's going to be a bit of work, but with any luck, I might be one of the first to make a build like this. Not the first to try, I've heard of others trying it, but I have a different technique that might work really well, more durable than other builds and is cheaper than foam or fiberglass.

ok that makes more sense i thought that THAT is what it would be made of. I was a little confused for a wile (doesnt take much). I looked in the file archive, no sliced ones.

ok that makes more sense i thought that THAT is what it would be made of. I was a little confused for a wile (doesnt take much). I looked in the file archive, no sliced ones.

Yeah, how might one find sliced halo armor? I don't know where to find it or how to make it myself, but if anyone in the community can help I'm sure it will be of use to not just me. If I'm successful, I'll upload detailed instructions on how to make armor using a new method not used on here that people might be very interested to try out

Very bold choice on Styrofoam. I've done costuming in Foam-Board which is very similar, and did try to do a MC helmet in FB but because I didn't have a good reference on where parts went and add to the fact that FB has very little give to it, I couldn't make the folds. Every piece had to be cut and glued. I'm not talking about the templates pieces now.....I'm talking about each individual fold piece. If a template had 6 folds in it....I would have to cut each fold apart and then reattach. I got most of the helmet done but could not get the sizing correct. I abandoned the project but may go back after I have gained more experience w/ building w/ Pep. It can be done but will take a very long time. Also, how are you going to paint it? Styrofoam does not react well to spray paint.

Yeah, how might one find sliced halo armor? I don't know where to find it or how to make it myself, but if anyone in the community can help I'm sure it will be of use to not just me. If I'm successful, I'll upload detailed instructions on how to make armor using a new method not used on here that people might be very interested to try out

Ya. sorry i can't be more help i'm kinda new at this too. I mean i just free handed mine for goodness sake!

Are you going to pour aluminum into the styrofoam? If that's the case there are different kinds of styrofoam that you can actually sculpt rather than layer. Otherwise, you may need to look in to how to create a sliced model. I doubt anyone else would have them for armor, only weapons.

Ya. sorry i can't be more help i'm kinda new at this too. I mean i just free handed mine for goodness sake!

I like your build, it's fine. Looks like all I need is someone who can model the armor to be the thickness I need and then for them to make a sliced file of it. Once the slice is done, I'll be set.

Are you going to pour aluminum into the styrofoam? If that's the case there are different kinds of styrofoam that you can actually sculpt rather than layer. Otherwise, you may need to look in to how to create a sliced model. I doubt anyone else would have them for armor, only weapons.
Ya sliced files for armor would be hard i would think... but what do i know?

- - - Updated - - -

I like your build, it's fine. Looks like all I need is someone who can model the armor to be the thickness I need and then for them to make a sliced file of it. Once the slice is done, I'll be set.
thank you. I dont know who i would message to do that but im sure theres someone.

And yes, I've seen people try aluminum, but there's easier ways to cast aluminum with precision and for under $50! Plus, it's 9mm bullet proof (lol). And recycleable. But anyway, I am interested in both, the styrofoam for sculpting and how to learn how to create a sliced model. Much appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Very bold choice on Styrofoam. I've done costuming in Foam-Board which is very similar, and did try to do a MC helmet in FB but because I didn't have a good reference on where parts went and add to the fact that FB has very little give to it, I couldn't make the folds. Every piece had to be cut and glued. I'm not talking about the templates pieces now.....I'm talking about each individual fold piece. If a template had 6 folds in it....I would have to cut each fold apart and then reattach. I got most of the helmet done but could not get the sizing correct. I abandoned the project but may go back after I have gained more experience w/ building w/ Pep. It can be done but will take a very long time. Also, how are you going to paint it? Styrofoam does not react well to spray paint.

The styrofoam is only to hold space. Liquid aluminum will actually take it's place through any of several various aluminum casting methods. Once it's cast, you just sand/file it and paint it as you like.

Oh, and Aluminum Alloy is quite light and is bulletproof at only 1/2 inch, plus dirt cheap, if not free.

And yes, I've seen people try aluminum, but there's easier ways to cast aluminum with precision and for under $50! Plus, it's 9mm bullet proof (lol). And recycleable. But anyway, I am interested in both, the styrofoam for sculpting and how to learn how to create a sliced model. Much appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

The styrofoam is only to hold space. Liquid aluminum will actually take it's place through any of several various aluminum casting methods. Once it's cast, you just sand/file it and paint it as you like.
wont that still be heavy? even if its aluminum thats still alot of weight

wont that still be heavy? even if its aluminum thats still alot of weight

It might end up 40-50 lbs at most, I don't think it will be too heavy. I'm not sure how much volume a suit takes up. What do you think? 1 cup of aluminum is about 1 pound or so... 1 gallon of it is only 19 lbs. Would it really use more than 2 gallons of liquid aluminum?

Depending on the volume of the styrofoam build, that will determine the weight. I can make it as thin as 3/8ths of an inch. That shouldn't take up too much volume and should still retain a lot of strength

And I would assume a bit uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. As far as being bullet proof.......why? Not much cause for such protection at Cons, unless you are paint-balling in it. And even then, they have strict rules of safety. Your suit would have to be registered or something....... Don't get me wrong.......build away.....I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.

It might end up 40-50 lbs at most, I don't think it will be too heavy. I'm not sure how much volume a suit takes up. What do you think? 1 cup of aluminum is about 1 pound or so... 1 gallon of it is only 19 lbs. Would it really use more than 2 gallons of liquid aluminum?

now that you say that it shouldn't be too heavy. and for the volume i made mine to fis as close as possible so it could be about a inch or two thick.

And I would assume a bit uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. As far as being bullet proof.......why? Not much cause for such protection at Cons, unless you are paint-balling in it. And even then, they have strict rules of safety. Your suit would have to be registered or something....... Don't get me wrong.......build away.....I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Well, the bulletproof part of what I was saying is for kicks and giggles. I'm not going to go out fighting crime.... Unless I made an iron man suit.... FULLY FUNCTIONAL! jk

It was more meant to stress how tough the suit will be. Not prone to breaking easily.

paintball in halo armor? you would be kinda slow i would think.

Get Jarvis on line now. This is something I want to see!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back