Halo 3 Mk-VI Helmet build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason 078

helmetr.png

This is my very first attempt at halo armor using this method, so bear with me and I an VERY open to suggestions.

The material I plan to use is 3mm sintra (pvc foam board). This helmet is not for me, but is a late Christmas gift for my best friend, as well as a test bed for possible armor production (for sale). It will include the build, the painting, and the installation of electronics. However, first this is first.

I am using the file MJOLNIR Mk.VI [HD] (JTM HD mk vi).pdo from the database, made by JTM1997.

The first thing I had to do was modify the file slightly for the medium. Since most of the pepakura is made using thin (like ¼ mm) cardstock, I needed to do away with some of the details that the pepakura would show. However, that is not a bad thing in this respect. Most of the edge detail is unnecessary because the 3mm sintra has its own edge that is… 3mm.

With that in mind, I went through and trimmed most of the pieces after modifying the scale. Her head is 8.5”, so I upped it to 10” for padding and scaled it appropriately.

parts.png

As you can see, some of the pieces still have a bit on an edge to them. That is for depth. Most of those pieces are level on one side and sunk on the other. I realize that what I am taking about will cause a few holes in the build. Well, I have a cure for this… bondo.

However, not all the holes will be covered and plugged. On the top, the overlapping flaps will include vent holes and the cheeks (under the hoses) will likewise be open. Both areas will receive fans during the electronics phase for pumping out the air and sucking in the air to defog, respectively.

I will be printing this out today and will update shortly after.

Sounds like an interesting plan, I can't wait to see how it goes :D Oh, and i made the file, hence the JTM part of the name

Glad I am not the only one late with Christmas presents, good luck on this build!
Yeah... see... I didn't realize I was so low on cash until AFTER I saw the Hobbit in 3D...

I'm very interested in this method. I'll be following this. Good luck!
Thanks! I'm interested in the method, too!

Sounds like an interesting plan, I can't wait to see how it goes :D Oh, and i made the file, hence the JTM part of the name
Done and done. Just made the change.

----------

Step 1 is done. I am not the proud owner of 17 pages of unmade helmet on sticky paper. Now, to pull out my sintra and get to work.

Since it is 3mm sintra, I am not planning on exacto-cutting it down to size. Rather, I plan to cut out the basic shape with a box cutter than dremmeling the frak out of it until it fits!

I will not be using just the 3mm, though. Some of the details will require the 1mm. Such as, the little detail on the front of the "bill."

Also, some of the parts will not be as thick as they should. Such as, the three steps of the "nose." Those will actually be 3mm thick. Well, except for the largest which will be 3mm plus whatever is needed to install the visor.

Now, if I don't get another emergency call-in to work tomorrow, I will actually have some build pictures to show.

Can't wait to see this take shape, JTM's MKVI helmet is one of the most accurate pep files for that model I have seen to date, I really hope you pull this one off it would be awesome to see it finished

Okay, so this project is a complete flop… at least for now. The sintra is not very forgiving and the heat gun is not as accurate as I would like. This might be a good idea for the armor, but not so much for the helmet. So, I’m not giving up on it, just waiting until it is a little easier. With that said, time for me to do this the way everyone else does.

picture1nxt.png

This is the Mk VI HD Helmet by Flying Squirrel. It was unfolded by Ral Partha.

This helmet is not for me but is a late Christmas gift for a close friend. She likes this version rather than the JTM1997. That makes this a little easier as this is also the test bed for me to make mistakes before I do mine (but don’t tell her that).

Her head measures 8.5 inches (using HaloGoddess’ “How To Scale” and More Tutorial. Adding an inch for padding and the interior hardening gives me 241mm. So, I changed the scale as appropriate.

With that, I took a page from a friend of mine who builds Pep for Star Wars stuff and attached as much as possible. By that, I mean I attached everything that is supposed to be flat. I made sure that none of it overlapped, and those pieces that did were modified (aka repositioned) to be easier to work with. Also, I removed any jigsaw pieces and evened them out to single side (think zipper tooth pieces made straight).

Because I am using 110# cardstock, I removed the inner braces. The heaviness of the paper will hold up well if I do light passes of resin on the outside, then the inside, to harden it for rondoing. Two layers of resin should be good before rondo, but I am getting ahead of myself.

A couple of the modifications that I did were to remove the four lights as well as the outer visor. I will still use the inner visor to hold that part open. I’ll also be cutting some tabs on the inner visor to hold it in place. As for the lights, I plan to do those out of clear acrylic with the light behind them.

Finally, I will still use sintra. It is the perfect medium for the floating faces. I’ll be adding those after it is completely built.

So, here is what I have come up with.

picture2rs.png

I’ll be printing it out in a day or two. Oh, and because I know that resin can sometimes eat through some glues (including superglues), I am going to be using a waterproof quick-dry glue gel. This will also help to conserve the glue as a single dot of it is all that I will need for each flap (sometimes two or three, depending on the size).

Don't give up dude, you can do it!!

Also you don't happen to have a link to that particular helmet do you?
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back