Halo 3 Rouge Helmet (Finished Project) How To Do's and Don'ts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPipkin

Jr Member
Hey guys so if figured I would share some of the lessons I've learned from the mistakes I made on my first build way back in 2012.
For the model I selected The Halo 3 Rouge Helmet by nightshade. On a difficulty scale I would say it its about a three or four since it has fairly large surfaces and doesn't have a lot of tiny intricate parts. However it does lack key detail features from the in game model. I also apologize ahead of time for my bad grammar as I am a Biologye major so English really isn't my thing...
IMG_1073.JPG
Since at the time I was new to using pepakura I basically just printed it out without even thinking of checking the scaling. This was my first mistake. However, I was at least smart enough to print it on card stock.
IMG_1081.JPG
For the first night I spent probably two hours cutting out all the pieces with scissors. I later learned that using an exact-o knife and metal ruler makes it a lot faster and easier. It also prevents bending of the pieces, and creates cleaner straighter edges rather than the scissors. Since apparently I can't cut a straight line with them to save my life.
IMG_1097.JPG
Ok, so remember how I said I didn't scale the helmet well this is when I first started to realize it was a problem. Also at this point I was assembling most of the lower half with nothing but scotch tape. This is another major DON"T!!!! when building parts that are going to be fiber glassed because as soon as the resin touches the tape it basically falls off. Luckily I ran out at this point, and built the rest with Elmers craft gluesticks plus some reinforcement with hot glue which I found makes a much stronger bond that seems to hold up pretty well.
IMG_1102.JPG
So here it its just before glassing. Note its shinny because I sprayed it with a clear lacre thinking it would help seal the paper from the resin leaking. Which is totally unnecessary as was proven by this hypothesis not working at all. Also I didn't put any kind of bracing in the helmet to prevent warping, and due to this laziness I definitely had to suffer the consequences. So brace heavily.
IMG_1104.JPG
So after putting in a whole quart of resin and probably three feet of fiberglass matte I noticed I had a very heavy and majorly warped Helmet. In this case less is best, it doesn't have to be bulletproof. This was followed by my feeble attempt to correct my mistakes with bondo. After slathering on about half a can and letting it cure for about a week in a hot shed in the middle of summer I found that i had basically created a small boulder. So from this I will say only use thin layers if necessary and don't let it dry all the way before you start sanding otherwise it will become rock hard and nearly impossible to shape. For my rock I basically had to use a 100 year old file designed for sharpening steel to break down the layers of filler to bring it back into shape, because at that point 60 grit sand paper would barely scratch the surface.
But after three weeks of sanding I finally made it look somewhat like it was suppose to so I moved onto the next step which was adding in some of the finer details with a dremel tool, and considering I had never used one before this was another bad idea.
I think I only burned through the helmet about four or five times which of course had to be filled. So my suggestion is stick with things that you are good with as it will save you a lot of headaches. Plus make sure you have steady hands as well...
Then came the part where I made the visor. After purchasing a motorcycle helmet visor I attempted to trim it in order to make it fit. For this i first tried using scissors which I ended up breaking, then tin snips which just broke the plastic, so finally I found out that if you just use a belt sander the visor can easily be shaped into the desired size. Also to fold it use a heat gun to warm it slightly otherwise it will crack and ruin the piece.
To install it if fits nice and tight which amazingly this one did I just glued it into place with some hot glue, and then miserably failed to scratch the detail lined in using a razor blade. So now i just paint them on before hand.
Also paint the helmet before you install the visor because it really sucks to get over-spray off of it.
So after two months of headaches and mistakes here is what I ended up with a slightly warped oversized Rouge helmet that weighs 9.56 lbs, and yes I actually weighed it
Needless to say it makes a great centerpiece on my bookshelf. Also after 3 years the lower edge is cracking and its layers are starting to separate.
00a0a_bTwKxOt8bVd_600x450.jpg
00D0D_9J5EFNOWy0a_600x450.jpg
These were just taken on a different device since my ipad's battery died.
IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG

Recap:
1. Scale Scale Scale You don't want to have to redo something because its too small/ too big
2. Proper materials Use Card stock or Construction paper standard printer paper is to thin and will warp like crazy!
3. Glue Don't tape It will come off the second it becomes damp
4. Brace Everything Uneven moistness and extra weight warps stuff like crazy so Brace to prevent ruining your work
5. Moderation Too much resin is a very bad thing use just enough to harden the material not make it bomb proof
6. Rondo Vs Matte either works but keep in mind they both have drawbacks
7.Fine tuning- Filler is your friend just don't use too much of it!!!
8. Painting Mask and clean surfaces appropriately Trust me it will save you a lot of trouble
9. Use the right tools for the job otherwise something is going to get messed up.
10. Most importantly use you head If you think your doing it wrong then you probably are, it never hurts to do a little research before you dive head first into a project.

Welcome to the hardships of pepakura. You will get used to cutting straight lines freehand with an exacto knife. My first lines were fairly wavy and off line, while I now rarely go off line, and when I do, its always to the outside of the piece, so I can just trim more off. My first helmet was utterly massive. Yours was tiny in comparison. Just the top part of the helmet could be used like a Hunters shield. I also made up a Rogue helmet, though I used superglue to reinforce all the seams before and used heavy cardstock. Its resined, but I haven't glassed it yet, and its somewhere out in my garage. Its been a few months since I worked on it(or a year, I forget at this point), but I still plan to finish it now that its warm again. If your helmet gets too heavy from the glass and bondo, and whatever else you use, you could always mould and cast it, that way it isn't so heavy. Though this method will also cost you.

Like I said all lessons I learned the hard way years ago, guess I didn't really make that clear. I've improved a lot, now that I have my own techniques from many experiments I rarely have trouble. I have made molds before but this helmet isn't really in the condition anymore to be copied plus I'm afraid that if I do I might destroy my first Pepakura creation.

Wow, that was a lot to take in! I have a MASSIVE project I'm taking on with no deadline (not totally true, my irrational self has a deadline, the rational me says don't rush) that include making EVA foam master chief mark vi mjolnir armor for all my kids (I have 3, in theory I will only be remaking for the eldest as she grows haha) and then fiber class one for myself and an extra special project for my husband to help him play the other team. Everything you just said really roots me down in taking it slow and getting it right. Thanks for sharing, really appreciate it.

@ purpleRogue Massive projects usually turn out awesome! By the time you get finished you should be a master builder. The best of luck!
ErMaC Thanks! Considering all the mishaps I had with this helmet I was suprised it came out as well as it did.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ purpleRogue Massive projects usually turn out awesome! By the time you get finished you should be a master builder. The best of luck!
ErMaC Thanks! Considering all the mishaps I had with this helmet I was suprised it came out as well as it did.

It took me 15 helmet builds to build the one I completed. So mistakes do happen a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
It took me 15 helmet builds to build the one I completed. So mistakes do happen a lot
I deffinetly can relate to that! Over the past few years I've had several projects that I've attempted and not many have ever seen completion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back