Halo 4 Battle Rifle Build FINISHED (huge price drop, last post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Halo 4 Battle Rifle Build FINISHED (kits now avalable)

Been looking at this from the start, only just now realizing I haven't commented yet after reading your prompt for interest. haha

I like the finished product and you certainly worked within an impressive time frame, from construction to casting. Well done! The forfeiture of some smaller details is understandable given its completion in just a matter of weeks, my only real critique would be that most of the hard edges that really characterize the weapon appear to be softened a fair bit on your model. Was that a design choice in the interest of creating an easier-to-cast and/or more con-safe piece?

Also, I'm curious about your casting method. Was doing most of the weapon in a single piece difficult in terms of coverage, preservation of detail, and prevention of warping?

My only real critique would be that most of the hard edges that really characterize the weapon appear to be softened a fair bit on your model. Was that a design choice in the interest of creating an easier-to-cast and/or more con-safe piece?

Also, I'm curious about your casting method. Was doing most of the weapon in a single piece difficult in terms of coverage, preservation of detail, and prevention of warping?

You're right, my replica does have softer edges then the normal gun, which I realized about half way through building it, at which point it was too late to change, so I finished it in the same style. I should have used files instead of just sandpaper for the edges to get that flat-cut look. Next time. That being said I think the soft edges look pretty good, and certainly feel better in your hand, but accuracy wise they should be more flat.

As far as casting it hadn't occurred to me to make the main body in more then one piece, but I sort of wish I had after I molded it, because the mold weighs nearly 40 pounds, which is A LOT when you're slush-casting out of it. As far as warping or loss of detail neither of those things are a problem, as the silicone holds detail super well regardless of the size of the object, and I don't remove a casting from the mold before it's fully cured so it doesn't have a chance to warp.

Attachments

• 8%20edit_zpsod4cu1fl.jpg
    8%20edit_zpsod4cu1fl.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 5th%20edit_zpscphyoywr.jpg
    5th%20edit_zpscphyoywr.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 9%20edit_zpstlfgf9xq.jpg
    9%20edit_zpstlfgf9xq.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 7%20edit_zps2jrdec2n.jpg
    7%20edit_zps2jrdec2n.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 261

i may get one when i have money, thats the only hinderance for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back