Halo 4 Costume Build - Undersuit, Glove and Rail Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

uratz

Sup guys

Never built anything this ambitious before, I've been sculpting for 3-4 years and making masks and armor for Predator. Now I want to take a stab at H4 Costume. Not specifically defitnite yet about which armor I want to sculpt and built, but I do have an Undersuit for all Halo 4 Armors. Its based on all the latest screenshots I can download on the web.

Here's my designs. I plan to design the patterns and get it tailor made locally. Maybe do a few extras for some friends of mine so I don't fight the Forerunner drones alone, as badass as I am LOL.

halo_4_spartan_undersuit_front_back_hex_by_uratz_studios-d53jsol.jpg

halo_4_spartan_undersuit_front_back_no_hex_by_uratz_studios-d53jsva.jpg

Also I am tinkering with a Nerf gun that looks exactly like 343 borrowed from: Stampede ECS Rifle which I am going to mod into the new H4 Rail Gun:

nerf_stampede_halo_4_rail_gun_by_uratz_studios-d54woum.jpg

halo4railgun.jpg

I got a H4 Master Chief helmet from Hyperballistics already and lenses are on their way.... hmmm should I build a master chief Armor? Arrrghhhh

masterchief_helmet_from_hyperballistik_by_uratz_studios-d550nvc.jpg

There are so many things I want to build also like the Hologram form armor and helmet. I can't decide. Its all so awesome looking....

Haha Thanks. I kinda want to do a resculpt of it to make it look more accurate. Either from scratch or basically take out the parts and fabricate my own.

Master Chief Glove sculpt begins!

OK Gang. Just want to show how much work really go into making something. I wanted a hexagonal honeycomb texture on a flexible material that I could use for making Halo 4 Master Chief's Gloves and guess what? no one makes it. At least after 1 month of searching within china's sellers online all I could find was nothing. Nothing but those shoe soles, silicone food mold, slippers and eva foam cushion. This was a intensive search which may explain my recent headaches. So it gets me thinking I may just have to make my own material...

Anyway after bunch of experiments taking the stamps and pushing it on clay I find that if you take soft wed clay with a clear wrap over it laid flat, and use an elinchrom reflector, which is used for photography, its metal grill hex mesh can be used as a cookie cutter. Since I'm using a clear wrap rather than just pushing it in, the plastic forms a tighter surface tension thus resulting in a curved bubble shape in a hexagonal form. So the results came out great. The rest is molding it and use thin latex to slush coat 2x over it to create a fabric like material. Now if only I can get a 2 meter roll of this material....

hexatex_trials_by_uratz_studios-d550x1c.jpg

Ok this took me a long time to figure out as I sucked at pepakura-ing and I figure might as well sculpt it. Even though it was a bitch to get the angles right on the little plates, I reminded myself that its better than inhaling resin fumes and bondo dust. I really hate sanding. So the best way is to "nut up and sculpt up" LOL

What I did:
Its styrofoam blocks in the right thickeness and density used for packing materials so I took a sharp foam cutting knife and carefully cut the angles and then hot glue on a plate so I don't keep messing up my sculpts on these already tiny ass finger plates. Its like sculpting air at this size. So finally I got a hang of it. It took me like 30 minutes to sculpt one and eventually I could do 4 on a plate in less than an hour. The rest is fine sanding to the angles even tighter to an almost machined look. More coming.

halo_4_master_chief_glove_hand_plates_wip_by_uratz_studios-d550ymb.jpg

Here it is. Friggin done and I'm taking the rest of the day off. Its been crazy with my cat missing and all. I tried not to cry LOL Anyway the work keeps me going. All the pain is just going to make me do more skull masks later on... LOL

OK the Trigger Finger thing was insane sculpt. Looks simple, but you must have friggin frozen zen still hands to sculpt the outline. the hex pattern was done with the elinchrom reflector thingy. the red things are what? Haha! They are chop stick tips that I stuck into clay black to make a temp mold. Then I use polyester resin dyed red to pour into the indentation holes. Let harden then pull it out and inlaid them into the sculpt using needle nose pliers like a jeweler putting diamonds in the thing. I wish it was diamond though.

OK done.

halo_glove_hand_plates_done__by_uratz_studios-d550z06.jpg

Great work so far. I love seeing all the effort you're putting into your build. :D

Thanks dude. Its fun when you don't realize how much work it actually is. LOL I want to start on the gun next. I gotta start on making some patterns over the rifle.

WOW! Great work! I need to find me a hex pattern in America!!! Ever thought about a hexagon pattered net?

I've searched all over this and its not really hex pattern net. Its more like stretched circular pattern thats distorted. I've done experiments like dipping it in black latex and let it dry. Its still looks circular and doesn't have that perfect hexagonal angles.

Hand plate resin castings

Update on the hand plates...

These are some castings that came out perfect. There were a lot that didn't. Seem like some of my cups were moisture contaminated and produced bubbles until I switched to new measuring cups out of the package. Its damn wet monsoon season in Shanghai.

These perfect castings will be used on a hand cast and sculpted into a glove. Then it will be molded and cast into wearable latex gloves.

Those imperfect castings however still can be used if anyone wants to do some minor sanding and bondo patching. All made out of resin and can be glued to your gloves and such. Note me if interested.

halo_4_master_chief_glove_hand_plates_castings_by_uratz_studios-d55o08g.jpg

Would his be an acceptable fabric for your build? saw this in another halo 4 thread here.

http://orpex.blogspot.com/p/hexagon-fabric.html

Yeah I saw this before and I actually did some screen capture from the Tron Legacy bonus features that showed how they made the suits. If they printed it without that damn dot in the middle would be perfect.
Anyway I've asked my mom's friends in the clothing factories they said it needs to be specially made. There's very little resource in this type of pattern. The search continues....

Yeah I saw this before and I actually did some screen capture from the Tron Legacy bonus features that showed how they made the suits. If they printed it without that damn dot in the middle would be perfect.
Anyway I've asked my mom's friends in the clothing factories they said it needs to be specially made. There's very little resource in this type of pattern. The search continues....

Well that sucks, good luck with finding the right pattern, It's gotta be out there somewhere.

i know it sounds stupid but what about finding a cheap wetsuit (ebay, charity shops etc) that fits and get someone to either mod it or pick apart the seams and use it as a template for making one?

i know it sounds stupid but what about finding a cheap wetsuit (ebay, charity shops etc) that fits and get someone to either mod it or pick apart the seams and use it as a template for making one?

I think it would be easier to just make the pattern and get materials and sew it. The wet suit is already fitted and may have seams that are hard to take apart then put back together. But worth a try though. Still need to find the material or make it.

Started on sculpting the gloves:
halo_4_hand_glove_sculpt_wip_by_uratz_studios-d561nu6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back