Halo 4 Ur-Didact build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdtron99

so i wanted to give myself a challenge, and thought what better way than to do a didact build! i finished pepping the helmet this morning, ill update with pics in a bit.

lol, you might be a bit dissappointed with the results Crimmson XD but here it is
didact_zpse20dd1a5.jpg

i admit, i did a pretty crappy job on this, but im trying to figure out a way to fix it :)

Attachments

• didact_zpse20dd1a5.jpg
    didact_zpse20dd1a5.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 274
lol, you might be a bit dissappointed with the results Crimmson XD but here it is
didact_zpse20dd1a5.jpg

i admit, i did a pretty crappy job on this, but im trying to figure out a way to fix it :)

no disappointment on my side. on a scale of one through ten this helmet ranks 12 on the impossible to pep scale it is up there with the locus. but that is why we do what we do, to make the impossible become possible. still subbed as I don't believe you will quite.

on the warpage issue, what happens with my builds is that my hands sweat when I touch metal(metal handled xacto knives) I have to keep washing my hands a lot to keep it from warping as much as possible. this is a personal issue so please don't tell any one. the paper becomes some what wet on the surface and it starts to warp. just some thing to consider as a lot of the warpage starts from us handling the pieces and not from a lack of effort.

Attachments

• didact_zpse20dd1a5.jpg
    didact_zpse20dd1a5.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 278
on the warpage issue, what happens with my builds is that my hands sweat when I touch metal(metal handled xacto knives) I have to keep washing my hands a lot to keep it from warping as much as possible. this is a personal issue so please don't tell any one. the paper becomes some what wet on the surface and it starts to warp. just some thing to consider as a lot of the warpage starts from us handling the pieces and not from a lack of effort.

Actually, that's reasonable advice. I work with UHU universal adhesive, and it tends to be quite messy when it globs from the tube. Keeping one's hands clean and non-gummed is quite vital, I've found, so having a pack of wet-wipes on standby tends to be a life saver.

One of the little tips and tricks we pick up from prolonged work on armour, I suppose.

didact2_zps6a9cd726.jpg

picture of the helm after fixing the warpage a bit. also it's a bit of a tight fit, so maybe once it's finished should i try a back-off mod? i might actually do another scaled up if this one doesn't work out.

Attachments

• didact2_zps6a9cd726.jpg
    didact2_zps6a9cd726.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 261
It's looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing this finished as there aren't many Didact builds out there.

It looks really good.

I don't know if it's just me or the video but it looks like the right side of the face is kind of collapsed into the helmet? Regardless, it's coming together nicely.

it's the video and the lighting cause it looks better in person. but thank you for the compliment!

didact1_zps004629dc.jpg

didact2_zps4873515b.jpg

little bit more filler work then some spot putty then more details then i can say it's almost done.

Attachments

• didact2_zps4873515b.jpg
    didact2_zps4873515b.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 289
  • didact1_zps004629dc.jpg
    didact1_zps004629dc.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 271
thank you but keep in mind this is my first attempt at this helm and it is not exactly easy. i will eventually do another.

I agree with pat its a bit warped on the right side and somewhat collapsed. That being said its a really good first try. If i could give any advice it would be to work very slowly and carefully next time around. Although this can be hard when it begins to take shape when the hurry up and finish feeling sets in. Also a few small squares of card stock hot glued in strategic locations on the inside go a long way twards support and repair of minor warps.

Congrats on your first try! Also, not sure if you were trying to make the scale of the helmet big enough to fit your head? In the photo with your hand next to your helm, the helmet looks kinda small.

thank you. it is actually too small, but ill probably mold and cast it anyways so i can give a cast to my little cousin (he'd probably poop himself out of excitement XD) also i may try a back off mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back