Halo 4 Warrior Helmet Build ( need a bit of help pls )

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfsParadise5

Im trying to do up a warrior helmet and I have bumped into a couple of things .

1. After putting in my measurements in Pepakura Designer 4 , There were plenty of overlapping parts and I couldn't get any way to fix this , I have sent the .pdo file I used in a zip ( not using the paid version tho so its not saved ) ( setting the width to 235mm gets the other measurements correct for me somehow :/ ) .

2. What type of paper should I use when printing this , are 120gsm stock cards okay or should I use something else ??

Attachments

• hhhhhhhh.JPG
    hhhhhhhh.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 315
  • Halo 4 helmet spartan IV (harnor, Satchmo III) 2012.04.27.zip
    124.1 KB · Views: 305
Im trying to do up a warrior helmet and I have bumped into a couple of things .

1. After putting in my measurements in Pepakura Designer 4 , There were plenty of overlapping parts and I couldn't get any way to fix this , I have sent the .pdo file I used in a zip ( not using the paid version tho so its not saved ) ( setting the width to 235mm gets the other measurements correct for me somehow :/ ) .

2. What type of paper should I use when printing this , are 120gsm stock cards okay or should I use something else ??
Regular old cardstock should be just fine if you are doing the fibreglass resin method.
20190110_185634.jpg
click on this and then click on the 2d unfolds of the paper to seperate those parts of the paper and making a second peice. Do this to make those bug peices smaller aswell to fit more onto less peices of paper. I hope I understood correctly and helped out.

Hey don't forget to enable the numbering in pepakura if you haven't already done so!! I found if you do it after you move the overlapping parts around it can sometimes rearrange the page layouts for the entire piece. Very annoying!

Good luck!!!

Ok the helmet turned out quite bad . First off , i think my glittered cardstock ( the only cardstock i could find around here :/ ) is a bit too thick ( 280gsm ) because folding this thing so much harder and the folded area will fold itself back causing some parts to be a bit out of shape. Also , super glue not sticking very well causing me to go full on with the masking tape on some parts .

At this point idk if i should even go on with fiberglassing lmao .

Attachments

• 20190128_022204.jpg
    20190128_022204.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 365
  • 20190128_022158.jpg
    20190128_022158.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 327
  • 20190128_022158.jpg
    20190128_022158.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 334
  • 20190128_022146.jpg
    20190128_022146.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 346
WOW........that is some thick paper.....280 gsm translates to 189 lb paper. That is almost twice as thick paper as you could probably need. 100 lb paper is the most widely used. I also gave up on using super/krazy glue. It never held properly and always caused a mess. And as far as continuing.....resin and masking tape.....well most tapes.....don't mix well. The curing reaction dissolves the adhesive properties of the tape. So for continuing....it's going to turn out to be an even bigger mess. Sorry. I know how it feels like to have to start over on a helmet.....no comments needed from the FTOR.......:mad::mad::mad:

WOW........that is some thick paper.....280 gsm translates to 189 lb paper. That is almost twice as thick paper as you could probably need. 100 lb paper is the most widely used. I also gave up on using super/krazy glue. It never held properly and always caused a mess. And as far as continuing.....resin and masking tape.....well most tapes.....don't mix well. The curing reaction dissolves the adhesive properties of the tape. So for continuing....it's going to turn out to be an even bigger mess. Sorry. I know how it feels like to have to start over on a helmet.....no comments needed from the FTOR.......:mad::mad::mad:
I do too, and because I am not a member of Fireteam off the rails, i guess I can call you out on it? :D seriously, is all I have to do is build an odst or what. I cant find it anywhere. It's like a hush hush operation like the CIA, where we k ow who you are but not what you are...

WolfsParadise5 I am sorry your helmet came out this way. I agree with tape not being the way to go, but maybe still test out your helmet in scaling. I dont want to see you finish your next one, and it be beutiful, but it is just too big or goo small... *ahem dirtdives *cough cough.

The paper is way to thick, so I dont know if this was a factor. You brought up folding the paper. Are you folding the lines, or scoring/indenting(i guess that is the word I want to use? I think scoring is more on track...) because folding them wont give you the desired shape and outcome...

I hope you can recover and carry on, as I did not want to retry building mine when it was scaled wrong... good luck!

I agree with xXDashIVXx. If you take a ruler along the line you need to fold, and press real hard with a pen to score it (I use different colors for valley and mountain folds), that will make the paper want to bend where it's needed to bend at.

I'm not trying to patronize, in case you are already doing that...

The tape, however, has got to go, though. It will mess up your resin, making it build up in areas and leaving some areas resin-less, then stop sticking and leave you with a nasty mess.

Hot glue (for once) is a great tool for this helping things stick in pepakura. Use small amounts as possible so you don't have globs, but it will hold.

That was the plan anyways , to just redo the whole thing . In the meantime , im gonna just spray paint this and maybe add some tinted see through plastic as the visor and call it a day . After all , at least i can still wear it in and out without it comming apart

Solid first go. I’m totally with not going with tape to secure parts together. Elmer’s glue would be a step up but my preference is hot glue. Glue preference is subjective but tape just won’t create the kind of bonding that will help the paper hold the model’s shape. I encourage you to give it another go, with what you’ve learned through experience thus far and armed with the recommendations from those above, I think you’ll coax some improved results out of your fingers. Hope to see it soon!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304071057935958016/547496099280322561/image.jpg

As seen in the picture . I have attempted trying it again ( tho im on holiday in jakarta) . Hope is not lost yet except a torn tiny piece which i can reprint at a nearby printing shop not too far from here . Glad the foldings went much better now that i have used 200gsm of paper and all purpose glue ( seen a guy doing it with the glue ) .Takes a significantly longer time to dry but it glues really well and strong . Also thanks , marking the parts with pen helped much more as well .... folding is much faster and more accurate now

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304071057935958016/547496099280322561/image.jpg

As seen in the picture . I have attempted trying it again ( tho im on holiday in jakarta) . Hope is not lost yet except a torn tiny piece which i can reprint at a nearby printing shop not too far from here . Glad the foldings went much better now that i have used 200gsm of paper and all purpose glue ( seen a guy doing it with the glue ) .Takes a significantly longer time to dry but it glues really well and strong . Also thanks , marking the parts with pen helped much more as well .... folding is much faster and more accurate now
I'm glad you decided to stick this one out a d try it again! Interesting color scheme you are going for and cant wait to see more!

the warrior helmet was my first ever pep, being a full noob at the time i didn't even really notice the overlaps in the file. i do all mine in 160gsm mainly because my printer can't print on anything heavier than that they run out fairly well though i wouldn't mind doing 180 or 200. i've only ever used regular pva wood glue on my peps, works a treat i just make sure to only do a thin coat on the tabs so it dries fast. also something to think about when i scaled the helmet, to get a good fit to me head i had to disregard the size of the neck hole. i had to cut a bit out of the neck area to be able to fit my head inside once hardened but it was a necessary loss to get a really good fit on my head.

It definitely went much better with this attempt ( tho some pieces didnt stick properly , may have to restick em later ) . But it definately looks better than the previous attempt . Anyways , fingers crossed that it arrives home safely from the airport . View attachment 266836 View attachment 266837 View attachment 266838 View attachment 266839 View attachment 266840 View attachment 266841 View attachment 266842
Definatly came out easy better! You did a good job, and yes you should tack those peices that are coming back down. Dee if you can poke out the crushed bit of the circle on the back out from the inside. Other than that, you did a good job and am excited to see further progress!

The more perfect you can make your pep now the easier it is in the long run. One thing I came across was that when I made my first helmet i tried the technique of covering it in wood glue... save yourself the trouble!!! Dont know if it was something I did but was not a good experience.

Fiberglassing was okay in my opinion. I accidentally left a window open in my workroom and the ac unit outside ended up sucking all the fumes throughout the house (I wanted to die) so my mom wasn't too happy as you can imagine.

Lastly, If you can, I'd recommend smooth on onyx. Roto cast the insides of all your parts. It is a little pricey, I'm needing about $100 worth of it to complete an entire mk6 chief suit, but I found it to definitely be worth the price when it comes to ease of use and NO FUMES! YAY!!!

Oh god its been a while since i have updated this thread . Anyways so what happened in so long

- College application stuff ( btb between the institution and home which is about 380km away because of some application fault for some reason )
- Bondo hunting , most articles were recommending a 3m bondo body filler . I tried hunting around hardware stores in my area , even went as far as mainland Kuala Lumpur which was 400km away ( havent tried Singapore yet so i might just do that when i could ), they either dont have in stock or dont sell . I resorted to online sales and found the seller and oh boy , almost RM200 ( USD50 ) for 14oz ( the only size i could find so far
- Family feud

Anyways , asking if there are any bondo alternatives , i found this online https://s.lazada.com.my/s.xbkm for almost USD10. Was wondering if its a good idea .

On top of that , i have ordered some eva foam for the chestplate , leggings , etc alongside hot glue gun and heat gun . Theyre expected to ship next week :D . And i may finally be able to fibreglass the helmet :/ .

Ok the helmet turned out quite bad . First off , i think my glittered cardstock ( the only cardstock i could find around here :/ ) is a bit too thick ( 280gsm ) because folding this thing so much harder and the folded area will fold itself back causing some parts to be a bit out of shape. Also , super glue not sticking very well causing me to go full on with the masking tape on some parts .

At this point idk if i should even go on with fiberglassing lmao .
Hi there I am new here too... I use 200mg A4 cardboard to print out the templates and use paper mashe go over the whole bucket ( In and out )to make it smooth than resin the whole bucket and lastly putty it to make it smooth and sand it.

This the picture In the early stage. .
Hope this help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back