Halo 4, Will it make us better costumers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth Knight

I was playing halo 4, and it just kind of struck me on the head like a cinder block.
How will Halo 4's spartan armor fully affect this community? will it kill the tried and true method of fiberglass and bondo and lead only into foam builds? Will it lead people into sculpting their own armor from clay to get the extra details in? Will it push people away from costuming because of all of the details (because some people are perfectionists, like me, who look at the Spartans of Halo 4 and just gives up with thinking who I'd make one)?

I was just wandering what all of your opinions were for this. I wasn't around when Reach came out and everyone was scrambling for pep models for the game, so I don't know how it was, if it was comparable to what it's like now or not.

I know we have some great modellers out right now working on models for the Halo 4, and I'm sure there are bound to be more people getting into this because of Halo 4, but I'm just a bit worried as far as how everything will work.

So here's the question, through all of the layer's of complexity.

Will Halo 4 make the 405th community better costumers?

-Seth

This is an interesting thread, I say that because I thought of it too. Well people still do pepakura helmets, but you have a good point on the foam and how that's gonna be the alternative. I think the modelers should take a break on helmets and maybe work on a little bit of the other things such as shoulders and torsos. It seem that everyone is free handing everything because no body's working on them. In my opinion, they should start on torsos more than anything else. Preferably the Recruit because I'm in desperate need of one for comic con.

While Halo 4 certainly made MJOLNIR more complex to build, I don't think the community will ever stop adapting. There will always be the 'classic' builders who stick to the Bungie-era armors. I've never built with foam, but even if I did switch mediums ill always keep card stock and bondo in reserve in case I want to be nostalgic and build another mark VI.

For the most part, I was just heading in the general direction that, most of the halo suits from past games didn't have much complex designs, whereas H4 is very complicated even for a video game, whereas most people could get away with using long underwear for the under suits, it will be terribly obvious now with the H4 designs. It may be just me, but it just seems like in order to get a decent H4 suit you will have to do twice the planning as you would any of the previous.

-Seth

in my opinion, I think that the most effective way to make helmets are, and will be pepakura. Now, for the suits, i could see the suits starting to become primarily foam because of how light and how easy foam is to work with. I also think that Halo 4 is in a way encouraging us as a group to become more creative - weather it be scratch building, or experimenting with new materials. Another way to create files is by creating templates of previous foam builds. That alone is very time consuming and something that i will start doing to, in a way, give back to the community. But yes, i think that building H4 suits will separate the men from the boys.

I'm not doing any Halo 4 builds any time soon for many reasons. Let's list them.

#1. I don't like Halo 4, and the armor just isn't Halo. It just isn't. Sincewhen did Spartans become Elites?
#2. I don't like Call of Ultra-Modern Warfare 4.
#3. Halo 3 through Halo Reach has the best variety of armor and will forever be more recognizable and is easy to make and very customize if you make them out of foam.
#4. I'm sorry, but no. The H4 armor is ridiculous and looks really dumb compared to the past armor. Like seriously. It makes me want to yell "GET A GRIP"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not doing any Halo 4 builds any time soon for many reasons. Let's list them.

#1. I don't like Halo 4, and the armor just isn't Halo. It just isn't. Sincewhen did Spartans become Elites?
#3. Halo 3 through Halo Reach has the best variety of armor and will forever be more recognizable and is easy to make and very customize if you make them out of foam.
#4. I'm sorry, but no. The H4 armor is ridiculous and looks really dumb compared to the past armor. Like seriously. It makes me want to yell "GET A GRIP"

#1 they diddn't!!
#2 you are crazy to to compare halo 4 to call of duty (so what the comtrols are simmiler now {BIG WUP] THAT DOESEN'T MEAN THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.)
#3 and #4 the armor is still very diverse it just looks different, (there is actually more armor in halo 4 than in reach so stop complaining) and the reason for the change in armor design is to solve the overlaping armor issue. (having a peice of armor passing through either you or another peice of armor.)

It has been a while since I post anything, and this thread and responses make me itch for some typing.

Fuzzy Bear - before I start typing I just want to say you are entitled to your opinion, nothing wrong with that, and please forgive if I offend you in anyway.

#1 Since when did Halo have its own armor? Never. With each iteration of the games, the developers came up with new imaginations of their armor. I personally did not like Halo 4 MC. But it grew on me. While I don't like the creases and bumps on the armor, I keep telling myself that it is just a game. My kids go crazy with their armor load out when they play the game. But I keep telling them once they start playing, all they should care is the bullets hit the marks. Nobody will see their amazing armor. When my kids wore their Halo 3 Master Chief (which to some think is the most iconic Halo), I still get questions asking me what are they wearing. Some even think my kids wearing Transformers or some kind of robot. MC was not as iconic as I thought.

#2 Irrelevant to this thread.

#3 I personally has no interest in Halo Reach. The armor looks cool, but they look too "normal". They are only soldiers, not Spartans. In all likelihood, the armors should not even be considered in the ranks of super soldiers. And I would disagree with your "customization". Just a quick question, how many completed Noble 6 costumes have you seen on 405th? Not many.

#4 I agree that H4 is ridiculous, ridiculous complex, that is. I personally would not attempt to make the armor using Pepakura. It is a challenge with foam. Will H4 becomes the iconic Halo costumes. It will be for any gamers who played Halo. For most folks (like 99% of the public), they are going to ask "what is it?".

yes h4 will make us better costumers, the detail of the armor is extreme. i dont care if it somehow crosses with cod. 343 did a great job.

My major points of the armor that I think will help people's skills, are mostly:
the undersuit
detail of the armor
strapping (now it will be obvious using the traditional methods)
the pep files/templates,

I don't know, but I think even though the armor isn't much like the previous ones, I think it has it's own place in the halo universe, and hope to see how it grows on everyone.

-Seth

I definitely think it will, and is, making the 405th community better costumers. The designes of the H4 armor are more complex, the detail is higher, the shapes are more rounded. You have to study the images more because of the complexity, so I think people are starting to make things more accurately, trying to incorporate all the details.
I didn't think anyone would be able to make the Recon armor, yet it's already been done, and out of foam no less!
On that, I have noticed an increase in foam builds as well, so I think H4 is causing costume builders to expand their horizons, and seek out new materials to work with, some which are easier than the old trusty pepakura.

as much as I would love to make my Spartan 4(as many would), it's far too complex for any newcomers, like myself. I've been running with the Strider helmet since the start (I have the LE), but I have no idea as to how that could even be pulled off. I also run with a lot of the contour gear, which I don't even know where to start with.

There is also another issue with the S4s. To me, all of the armor has the same basic size to the next. As a friend of mine pointed out, unlike in Reach, you can't really make a 'tank' as he put it. every component that used to be big and bulky, is now just...standard.

as much as I would love to make my Spartan 4(as many would), it's far too complex for any newcomers, like myself. I've been running with the Strider helmet since the start (I have the LE), but I have no idea as to how that could even be pulled off. I also run with a lot of the contour gear, which I don't even know where to start with.

There is also another issue with the S4s. To me, all of the armor has the same basic size to the next. As a friend of mine pointed out, unlike in Reach, you can't really make a 'tank' as he put it. every component that used to be big and bulky, is now just...standard.

Now that you pointed it out, I do kind of miss the tanks (though I think Reach needed customization for the shin's though), and with the complexity/being too hard, there's plenty of files out there for Chief, and nearly everyday someone is coming up with another piece of armor, so it shouldn't be too long before the strider has a pepakura file for it.

-Seth

For people like me, Halo 4's armor has nothing to offer. I don't find any of the builds pleasing aesthetically. I only like a couple of helmets and even in multiplayer my chosen armor is the MK VI (still lamenting that there is NO MK V :( ) .

From a fiction standpoint, I don't care much for the S-IVs, and that sours my outlook on the armors as well.

NOW, I do think they are impressive from a build standpoint and the complexity will surely offer a challenge and something different to those here who may have mastered the craft. But for me? Hell, I'm still working on my revised version of the H:CE MKV. Then? I'd like to tackle the Halo 3 MK V custom I used back in the day. Maybe I'm a few years behind hehe :D

What concerns me? You'd be surprised. On one hand I like the variety that the Halo 4 armor introduces (even if I don't like any of them). The ability to customize has never been greater. On the other hand, I'm glad I'm not a modeler because I don't know how I would deal with all the requests for shin variations, on top of all the OTHER variations. Is there such thing as too much variety? I can't say. There is something to be said about finding that balance between just enough and too much and I think Reach nailed that for the 405th. Having one template for chests and lower body (minus the knee guards) does have its advantages. Still, to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back