Halo 5 BoomCo Pistol Paintjob

Discussion in 'Halo Props' started by reverseflash, Aug 6, 2018.

1. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

So I've posted a few threads a long time ago but never followed up or completed the project. THIS one I will. I plan to make a SPI armor suit, and to come with it, I will be painting up this BoomCo pistol. I will post images of my progress; this is my second time modifying a weapon.

IMG_20180806_163234953.jpg

2. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

Benton188 likes this.
  3. Benton188

Benton188 Well-Known Member

I recently bought two before Toys R Us went bust. I would be interested to know what kind of paints you're using.

4. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

I'm using rust-oleum brand paints. Probably a satin black for the handle (may do matte if i dont like the look), and a metallic satin nickel for the yellow portions (classic halo 3 color style). If i feel its boring, I may darken the laser sight "shroud", and will add a colored stripe Reach style

5. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

Suckers primed. Next coat will be a satin black for the handle and lower parts. Finally got a clean coat too (except the top left slide)

IMG_20180808_151356989_LL.jpg

IMG_20180808_151415929_HDR.jpg

Delta Four O likes this.
  6. Delta Four O

Delta Four O Jr Member

Did you hit it before doing the painting? I’m curious since I want to do the same.

7. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

Hit it as in roughing up the surface with sand paper? Because yes I did that

8. Delta Four O

Delta Four O Jr Member

Nah I was more of wondering if you needed to gut it or anything? I mess around with them and want to paint mine up and was wondering if not gutting the internals messed it up any.

9. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

Ah as in like modifications to the internals to shoot better and whatnot? I didn't personally do that, except removing that top slide portion. There are videos online to mod the vuts though and it seems relatively simple

10. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

As long as I get the spring iside that top rail back into it's little slot on the removed slide (and I can with an exacto knife) it'll be back in working order

Delta Four O likes this.
  11. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

I've gutted mine. But I haven't putted it back together. I'm trying to rig up a removable magazine, and hopefully I can get the slide working again. But since it's a prop, I don't want it to shoot darts. It's the same exact magnum as this one. And power to ya for knocking off the branding. I see so many repaints where they leave the markings on and I'm like "What's the point of painting it if you leave "Halo" on the side?!"

Delta Four O likes this.
  12. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

And I'm really interested in that SPI. I don't believe I've seen anyone build a set before!

13. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

Exactly! I wasn't able to get all the Boomco part off, but it just looks so wrong. Unless the UNSC got desperate enough for funds that they got a brand deal

mumgoot and Delta Four O like this.
  14. Delta Four O

Delta Four O Jr Member

You sand it or just Dremell?

15. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

Sand paper. Don't trust myself not to totally wtexw it with a dremel

Delta Four O likes this.
  16. Delta Four O

Delta Four O Jr Member

17. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

I have a cheaper dremel-style tool that I use. It isn't super powerful, but there is less propensity for taking off more material than I want. I'd like to invest in a "real" dremel at some point.

18. sfritts10

sfritts10 New Member

Looking good so far! I’ve been wanting to repaint one of my magnums, curious to see how yours turns out as well!

19. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

Applied a coat of satin nickel. It came out a lot more "sparkly" than I thought but I'm.hoping it'll flatten out while drying, and if not just do heavy weathering. Then I'll tape it off and do satin black for the handle and dart holder (if I don't like it I'll just do a matte black coat over it)

IMG_20180810_140403219.jpg

IMG_20180810_140423743.jpg

20. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

Did matte black, I dig the contrast. Just gitta clear coat and weather, then reassemble

IMG_20180811_185618446.jpg

21. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

Yeah, that black is sharp.

22. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

Yup. I think I'll stick with mainly black weathering. Then try to figure how to oaint dry blood and add that to the magazine butt and across the muzzle (just a bit, nothing zombie weapon level lol)

23. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

Weathered up. Just have to brush in some silver for bare metal exposure and we're basically done

IMG_20180813_002137126_LL.jpg

24. reverseflash

reverseflash New Member

And she's all done. The Satin Nickel unfortunately made the overall piece too bright for the silver to show for bare metal effects, but it worked real nice on the matte black grip

IMG_20180813_200211354_LL.jpg

IMG_20180813_200221310_LL.jpg

IMG_20180813_200239498.jpg

IMG_20180813_200245047_LL.jpg

Sean Anwalt likes this.
  25. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

Nice job! Very subtle and well done.