Not open for further replies.

Alpha

Military Liaison
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Member DIN
S037
Spartans and Helljumpers,

As I finish my favorite toy in Halo 5, the Hydra (build log in signature). I began construction on my Spartan to go with it. After an insane amount of deliberation (it really is an existential crisis). I decided to go with my multiplayer spartan from Halo 5, the Recluse armor. So without further ado here we go.
It all starts here in meshmixer. Taking the .obj file of from the game assets and working to make it wearable.

asdfadsf.PNG

First I had to cut up the file into individual armor parts. Here I discovered some neat things from the 3d modelers in 343. For example, the chest armor was actually created as separate pieces instead of one chunk. Making it way easier for people like us to split them in parts for cosplay.

adfasdf.PNG

19237842_10100386447458243_4530140978136373024_o.jpg

Once I had all the pieces split apart I tossed them into armorsmith, where I took all my measurements and made a digital mannequin. This program is really useful for getting scaling right, even if you do Pepakura.

sefasf.PNG

Once the scaling was right I began printing. The first bicep piece was a little small, so I upped the size and it seems to work just fine.

20170710_194243.jpg

Next was the 'wing' on the bicep piece. Kept to the same uniform scale as everything else. Really happy with how it looks.

20170712_171956.jpg

Now here is where we are now, both bicep/shoulder pieces complete and the small ab details complete. Currently printing the glorious butt plate. Then off to the forearms.

20170715_191413.jpg

More to come! As always, comments, feedback, and questions welcome!

Last edited:
Would you like me to smooth out those models for you using Blender? It wouldn't take long, but the results would be worth it. You wouldn't have to sand it nearly as much, either.

Progress looks good as well. Keep it up!

Honestly, I kind of like the little polygons hah. It's lame I know. But I love the fact that these are the game assets :D.

Nice looking pieces I too am 3d printing some builds. I've been using the obj's from the armory but I've been doing what mblackwell1002 has mentioned. Cleaning and smoothing them up a bit in blender. I find that the H5 assets are nice and seem to clean up well. Just need to be careful tho some seem to have some weird meshes and some missing faces that can turn into issues. I also just got armor smith and still learning the basics of it. But I think it's going to be a really nice tool to have. And you said your printing in PLA with the hydra. Same here? How are assembling your pieces?

No kidding. A lot of these models have issues you have to watch out for. I've gotten in the habit of carefully inspecting the file in s3d before creating the gCode.

Out of curiosity. Is this kind of what you guys are referring too? Just smoothing out the polygons?

sdfdfadsfads.PNG

Yes but you need to go through and crease all the sharp edges you want to not smooth all the edges. I'm not sure how mblackwell1002 does it ( he's much more of a modeler then I)
Tutorial: 3D Printing Pepakura Files with Blender
Here was the tutorial I found to help me with blender....... I don't use everything step by step in it. Just really the part about smoothing and creasing. But it's tough sometimes depending on the model. Some bad polys can really mess up the subdivide and solidify modifiers.
Anyways look forward to seeeing more progress. You build much faster then I can plus I'm having printer troubles at the moment :(

Last edited:
Rock on, appreciate the assists. I think I'm going to keep with the poly look. But If I run into any issues I'll definitely pick your brains.

How about I shoot you a link to one of SI3RRA 117's threads. HERE

He took the in-game models and made them look much nicer for 3D printing. Just an example.
Ahh, I see what you guys are talking about now. That looks excellent. But I'd hate to dump work on others. I mainly work in meshmixer, but have blender already installed. Any chance I could steal a few Blender tips (tools used for such effects, etc)?

I basically followed that tutorial I posted earlier. But like I said a bad model is hard to work with.
It's def a cool armor set and I think it will look great regardless. The smoothing is a bit of extra work. Especially to do every piece of armor. Anyway sorry to hijack your thread mblackwell1002 and I were just throwing out some ideas
PLA? And how are you "gluing" your pieces together?

No worries at all! I appreciate the tips/tricks, always willing to learn new stuff. I will definitely check out the tutorial, I completely missed it in the earlier post.

Printing with eSUN PLA+. Im using a 2 part Epoxy to assemble pieces, makes each section very durable.

Nice I too am printing in PLA. I seem to be having success with the cheap old Hatchbox stuff. If your interested I've come up with a new way of assembling my PLA prints. I just posted it in my build thread HERE

Got the first gauntlet printed. Took a second try to get the scale right. Apparently going for a uniform scale doesn't work hah. So I had to scale this one down a bit to better fit my forearm. And yes I had to have my energy sword in the shot cause reasons.
20251365_10100400070337883_509066511_o.jpg

Gauntlet armor all printed. Now to work on the big pieces...the chest armor. Slicing up the back chest armor right now prior to printing. Sometimes these angles make it a little challenging. But it's ready to print now!

phgdfkg.PNG

Update on the Recluse. Printing the rest of the back armor now. Then off to the chest piece.
20280396_357743281348833_2148109323517638993_o.jpg

Pretty much hah. Between this and the Hydra it's been quite busy hah. Really a testament to the ability of the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back