Halo 5 Spartan Buck, helmet and armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet . is good to see you are working on it! .

I think he is teasing us! I've seen one photo of him in full armor with a full undersuit. And the only reason I saw it was because Marawuff posted a pic of him in a tread somewhere here on the 405th. She had mentioned to check him out on Facebook, but I'm not seeing any pics in full armor.:cry

not teasing guys, just so busy with the build and real life I haven't had time to sit down and do it :p So here comes...

so for anyone who has worked with 3d prints, its no picnic, the idea isn't to sand it smooth but to fill the grooves between print lines and polish the part, here you see the begining stages of the process

20160214_193213.jpg

Attachments

• 20160128_184433.jpg
    20160128_184433.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 230
next up we add filler primer, and for brevity I'm only going to show a few parts during the whole process, or it would get real boring
this is the shin after a couple of coats, probably with the 100 grit. I start with an 80grit paper, 100 grit, 150, 220 and sometimes 400
20160214_193236.jpg

Just for reference two parts in different stages of finish. I like to use alternating colors of primer on each coat, it helps to highlight the low spots, this is useful for pep builds too
20160223_163616.jpg

here is the shoulder bell after the full treatment. this part alone probably got 10 hours of sanding to achieve the finish I wanted.

20160312_071308.jpg

One of the most intricate parts of this armor is the back, between the two boosters, its made up of 10 different parts, each had to be individually cleaned polished and attached together
20160312_071810.jpg

This was probably my favorite piece of the whole build, its simple yet easily identifiable. The whole armor was scaled as one unit rather than trying to adjust each piece indivdually. Netfabb is a great program viewing and scaling 3d models, we used a custom 3d manaquin and then overlaid the armor and scaled from there.

20160319_130827.jpg

so to start the undersuit, we got a pattern from joann's fabrics for a one piece suit (it was on sale for $1) then we made a duct tape dummy (that process has been outlined in other places so I wont go into it here)
20160312_163501.jpg

once the dummy was done I hand drew the undersuit designs on tracing paper I had wrapped around it, I used a combination of reference images and action figures to get the desired results. After that was done we layed the pattern parts out on the dummy and traced the designs on them. After cutting the parts out of fabric we layed the parts on 1/2 upholstery foam with the pattern still attached and the stitched over the detail lines to give it a 3d look.

20160404_215355.jpg

20160407_172733.jpg

So here is what I ended with for emerald city comic con, this is not the finished product, I hate the undersuit and its getting completely redone with the proper color and texture of fabrics, there are several parts missing I know but it was go with this and meet Nathan Fillion or not... I chose yes... anyway, more will come when I get to update things, currently waiting on Jeff to get the rest of the files done and time to do the new undersuit. Hope this holds you over for a while

20160409_015437.jpg

20160409_102253.jpg

20160409_102257.jpg

not teasing guys, just so busy with the build and real life I haven't had time to sit down and do it :p So here comes...

so for anyone who has worked with 3d prints, its no picnic, the idea isn't to sand it smooth but to fill the grooves between print lines and polish the part, here you see the begining stages of the process

View attachment 26852

If you're printing on ABS, you might consider THIS technique.

I'm prohibited from using ABS here in the house (my wife's a chemical engineer, and she's openly threatened to shoot me if I started printing ABS in the house. Considering she's a better marksman than I am, I'm not going to take any chances :D ) but if I could, this would certainly be something I would look into.

Ah and your undersuit still looks 100x better than what I had first time around. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're printing on ABS, you might consider THIS technique.

I'm prohibited from using ABS here in the house (my wife's a chemical engineer, and she's openly threatened to shoot me if I started printing ABS in the house. Considering she's a better marksman than I am, I'm not going to take any chances :D ) but if I could, this would certainly be something I would look into.

Ah and your undersuit still looks 100x better than what I had first time around. :D

I'm not using abs, I use PLA and I don't like that technique at all, as it just gives the part a melted look. I much prefer doing it the long way as you get a much better finished product in the end. I do appreciate the thought though.

gliderx64, although this is your build thread, we still tend to frown upon multi-posting if it's within a 24-hour period. Please remember to go back and edit your post if you have further content to add rather than multi-post.

Still, very nice work.

EDIT: also, a lot of your attachments aren't working. It may be worth going back to fix them.

@gliderx64 : hm. I've seen some good examples too, no melted look there. So I think it must be possible to get clean results doing this too.
But I agree the stuff is nasty to say the least.
Still, I think I'll give it a go using Colorfabb PLA just to see what can be done.

gliderx64, although this is your build thread, we still tend to frown upon multi-posting if it's within a 24-hour period. Please remember to go back and edit your post if you have further content to add rather than multi-post.

Still, very nice work.

EDIT: also, a lot of your attachments aren't working. It may be worth going back to fix them.

Thanks for the feedback, I was unaware of that rule, the reason for the multiple posts was that I was having trouble getting the links to work in one big post. I have gone back and fixed the links in the mean time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back