Halo Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden26

Hello all! So I need help with a decision because I rather get the words of wisdom from you guys then google it :p So I've really been getting into Halo Lore and I'll be buying a bunch of the Halo books soon, but there's a specific part of the universe I want to get into. The History of the Spartan Programs, Events of the Spartan II program and Spartan II's stories, Reach, Halsey, Sgt. Johnson, etc... No doubt I'll be getting the Fall of Reach novel but which other novels focus around these subjects? Thanks!

Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund are the best representations of the SPARTAN IIs, their training, and their lives, to me at least. They are the originals and to me the best written of the Halo novels and came out before the vast retconning and drastic character shifts and twists of the 343i managed novels.

Contact Harvest deals with Sgt. Johnson's History and hints at the SPARTAN I or ORION project.

Cole Protocol deals with the history of Captain Keyes and features Gray Team, a group of SPARTAN IIs mentioned but not expounded upon in Fall of Reach.

If you can get your hands on it, copy of Halsey's Journal from the Halo Reach limited Edition is also great insight into the SPARTAN IIs, and it was an opportunity by Bungie to allow Eric Nylund to address and attempt to explain some of the retconning and inconsistencies that the game had from the Novel (The novel Fall of Reach having come out with Halo 1 and therefore well before Halo Reach the game.)

Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund are the best representations of the SPARTAN IIs, their training, and their lives, to me at least. They are the originals and to me the best written of the Halo novels and came out before the vast retconning and drastic character shifts and twists of the 343i managed novels.

Contact Harvest deals with Sgt. Johnson's History and hints at the SPARTAN I or ORION project.

Cole Protocol deals with the history of Captain Keyes and features Gray Team, a group of SPARTAN IIs mentioned but not expounded upon in Fall of Reach.

If you can get your hands on it, copy of Halsey's Journal from the Halo Reach limited Edition is also great insight into the SPARTAN IIs, and it was an opportunity by Bungie to allow Eric Nylund to address and attempt to explain some of the retconning and inconsistencies that the game had from the Novel (The novel Fall of Reach having come out with Halo 1 and therefore well before Halo Reach the game.)

Awesome, Thanks for all the help! Before I engage in the novels, I was wondering if Spartans were ever on Harvest during the first contact with the Covenant?

Hey mate!
I really suggest getting those books!
They are bloody amazing!
Halo: The Flood is the second after "The Fall of Reach" but i really dont like the writer. I have my reasons that i wont spoil, should you decide to read it. If you decide to skip it, i can tell you what happens, and you dont have to go through it!
Also, after Ghosts of Onyx, look for "The Kilo Five Trilogy". Its not really around spartans that much but its a nice continuation to the story, i absolutely LOVED the books (and also gives you a different look into halsey!)

Hey mate!
I really suggest getting those books!
They are bloody amazing!
Halo: The Flood is the second after "The Fall of Reach" but i really dont like the writer. I have my reasons that i wont spoil, should you decide to read it. If you decide to skip it, i can tell you what happens, and you dont have to go through it!
Also, after Ghosts of Onyx, look for "The Kilo Five Trilogy". Its not really around spartans that much but its a nice continuation to the story, i absolutely LOVED the books (and also gives you a different look into halsey!)

Thanks! I'm working on screenplay so I decided to hit up theses books. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll defiantly check them out.

well theirs a few other outline's that aren't full books but graphic novels and short stories' theirs black team, cole protcall which has grey team, and then a few others.

to be simply put yes I mean I didn't know how the ship master lost haft his jaw until a read the first graphic novel, or who tested the chiefs armor, or a haft does things that took place, and then there's halo legends a must watch movie.

Is every single book and graphic novel lore?

Not sure exactly what you mean by this, but, Microsoft/343i's stance is that everything that is officially published is considered part of the Halo Universe. That did make an exception that the "Odd One Out" story in Halo: Legends was a parody and is not part of the official story line, but they consider everything else in that series of shorts as official Halo story. Also, 343i and Bungie before them have a stance that the Games take precedence and then when it comes to movies/novels/comics that the most recently published thing is the most "correct." So, this means that not everything that has been published is still "canon." Several things from Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx, for example have been Retconned, changed, or ignored by later published materials and games, make some of the things said and done in those novels no longer "true" or "real."

I'd say ALL of the books are very interesting.
I'm currently reading the Forerunner Trilogy about the Forerunner times and before the activation of the Halo Array... Damn, it's so interesting. :O
But, Fall of Reach is definitely the one you have to read.

Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx are by far the most Spartan-II centric, and The Flood is a retelling of the stories of Master Chief and the Marines on the first Halo. However, I can't say I dislike any of the books, they are all well written and great stories. That said, there are definitely some that aren't as good as the rest... All of the books, comics, and graphic novels are ingrained in the overall story, and only Odd One Out(as far as I can tell) is considered not so for the animated and live action series.

Contact: Harvest and the Kilo-Five trilogy have been my favorites, though.

I picked up a book a few days ago at goodwill.

Halo Encyclopedia
the definitive guide to the halo universe

Its been Very insightfull.

yeah and if you watch the new game theory and look at it you'll want to use a gravity hammer on him.

after Fall of Reach there's some other great books. I know Eric Nylund (the author of fall of reach) wrote some other books, First Strike and Ghost of Onxy (my all time favorite book of his it's about the Spartan III and continues the events of First Strike) there's also some books that continue of those books by Karenn Travis that's include Glasslands, The Thursday War and Mortal Dictata they follow an ONI group that has a Spartan II in it by the name of Namoi and a spartan II wash out named Osman. There's also the Cole Protocol which follows a group of Spartan II's by the name of Grey Team. Those are the books I've read I'm currently reading New Bloods, Hunters in the Dark and Shadow of Intent. There's also the Halo C.E adaptation book by William C Ditaz that's pretty good called The Flood. It's worth reading. Hope this helps

If you want more information on blue team which consists of (fred kelly linda spartan II's /mark olivia and ash Spartan III's) Last light is an awsome book for that and personally one of my favorites.

after Fall of Reach there's some other great books. I know Eric Nylund (the author of fall of reach) wrote some other books, First Strike and Ghost of Onxy (my all time favorite book of his it's about the Spartan III and continues the events of First Strike) there's also some books that continue of those books by Karenn Travis that's include Glasslands, The Thursday War and Mortal Dictata they follow an ONI group that has a Spartan II in it by the name of Namoi and a spartan II wash out named Osman. There's also the Cole Protocol which follows a group of Spartan II's by the name of Grey Team. Those are the books I've read I'm currently reading New Bloods, Hunters in the Dark and Shadow of Intent. There's also the Halo C.E adaptation book by William C Ditaz that's pretty good called The Flood. It's worth reading. Hope this helps

okay shadow of intent doesn't come out until December and lets not for get Osman is the head of ONI now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back