Props Halo CE M6D Magnum Foam - Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEdanru

Hi everyone!

This is my first thread here on the 405th, though I do have a thread on The RPF about a scratchbuilt pelican.

I built a CE Magnum out of foam a while ago, and it's my first Halo build. There are plenty of mistakes on the gun, but hey, I learnt a lot from this. And yes, the gun is way too wide. Using a blunt knife created a ton of tearing and so forth, so that was filled with putty. The prop was sealed with PVA glue.

So that leaves us here.

I thought it would be easier to paint the lowest layers (ie, panel lines) first and make my way up. This way, I can pick out all the black areas roughly, and then fix up mistakes with silver at the end.
20171107_151446[1].jpg

20171107_151501[1].jpg

20171107_151509[1].jpg

I am using basic black acrylic paint, nothing really special.
20171107_151534[1].jpg

Next is the indented sights that glow yellow.
20171107_152049[1].jpg

I thought I could mix white, orange and green to make a yellow colour. However, it only resulted in a beige colour, similar to the foam. It looks very different in person.
20171107_151553[1].jpg

20171107_152657[1].jpg

So instead, I dug up some old Citadel paint i have, Averland Sunset, and painted the sight with that.
20171107_153737[1].jpg

20171107_153749[1].jpg

To do:
Silver for main body
Brown for the grip
Red for the hammer thing
Black wash (to further refine the black recesses)

Thanks for looking and happy Cup weekend to any fellow Melburnians!

The pistol looks awesome, and I'm digging the direction it's headed. A tip for painting from someone who does a lot of miniatures for the last few steps.

For those deep recesses and panel lines there's two approaches that work out awesome and are really just tied to the materials you're using and your level of comfort with either technique.
  1. Base the whole thing black, especially the deep recesses. Then apply body colour through thin even coats and successive drybrushing passes. This helps build depth of the colour and adds weathering and highlights as you go. It works really well for angular manmade objects such as this pistol because there's lots of raised edges and highlighting them will make your prop pop.
  2. Base everything silver and then using a watered down acrylic, ink or oil based paint mash blacks and browns into all the recesses and then wipe away the excess with paper towel. This is my favourite method of gunging up a prop, if you work through different blacks and browns it makes it look like excess oil and dirt have accumulated over time.
The only reason materials comes into consideration is that the first method you need to have larger brushes and a variety of paints on hand while the second method doesn't work very well on porous materials since the effect is based around paint flow and wiping off extra with a damp cloth. I'd guess that you have a few different silvers and white paints around (Citadel minis and all) so even if you don't have an old chip brush around, a well loved toothbrush is awesome as a drybrush for edge highlights and scratches.

The pistol looks awesome, and I'm digging the direction it's headed. A tip for painting from someone who does a lot of miniatures for the last few steps.

For those deep recesses and panel lines there's two approaches that work out awesome and are really just tied to the materials you're using and your level of comfort with either technique.

Base everything silver and then using a watered down acrylic, ink or oil based paint mash blacks and browns into all the recesses and then wipe away the excess with
............ so even if you don't have an old chip brush around, a well loved toothbrush is awesome as a drybrush for edge highlights and scratches.

And for those of us who grew up in the "Golden Age" of miniatures, Ral Partha, Nick Lund, Guthrie....just to name a few, you could also try a shoe polish technique to get in to those crevices.

pro_19837.jpg You might think I'm crazy....but it works like a charm......messy as hell so get yourself a box of the disposable gloves. You're gona have to cut off the top to get to the liquid....paint liberally and wipe off the excess just like TurboCharizard describes. It is thin enough that you won't have to give up your favorite toothbrush........... it will get in to those tiny hard to get spots easily. Best part....it will give a great weathered look..... but if you do use a toothbrush.....make sure it's not your daily one..........or else.......:
1_l-jxmhcvOnRk3oNv8KIebg.gif

Golden age of miniature painting? I started 40k in 3rd Ed when I was 11. I ain't no grandpappy like Dirtdives but I have my roots well established.

Thanks for all the tips and feedback, guys.

Unfortunately I have exams over the next two weeks, so I won't be able to work on the magnum until its over.

I'm a bit concerned that the paint (mixed with some water) would wipe away the PVA glue i used to seal it. So I bought some acrylic clear coat to mitigate this. My plan is to clear coat before the next step, to protect the PVA, paint, then clear coat again to protect the paint when I use some of the black-wash-wipe-away technique.

See you guys then!

You bet ya, ya young shipper-snapper!!! Bunch of Northern hooligans is what ya are!! Best mind y'er elders or ya'll catch what fer.......And I ain't built them pyramids......It was those dam aliens...........

And just FYI....I'm Jewish.......so saying I held the whip is kind of offensive......400 years of slavery will do that to a people...........I got the joke though......funny........:cautious:

It's been raining for three days down here in Melbourne, so no progress unfortunately. Since I have nothing else to post, I thought I'd just post a Magnum blueprint/template here for people to use. Thanks for the 'encouragement'!
PS. I made this after I built my gun, so this one is much more accurate.

Magnum Template 1-01.png

PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE

20171222_171634[1].jpg

20171222_171709[1].jpg

The Magnum was sprayed with Acrylic Clear Coat to stop the PVA glue from rubbing off.

20171228_182416[1].jpg
20171228_183305[1].jpg

The grip is actually a brown colour. I don't have any brown so i mixed up my own with green and red (thanks primary school)

20171228_190613[1].jpg
20171229_141624[1].jpg

It took me 2 hours to get the coverage I want. There are some small spots i still need to touch up on the other side.

ce-pisotl_module-027a2af334c6447abd75e68cddfa79ac.png

I'm not sure if the brown is close enough. What do you guys think? I'll drybrush the grip with the mix plus some white to get some highlights.

I've been working on a firing Magnum from foam. Wish I found this thread before I started, because the blueprint I created is quite distorted. But still, thanks for the blueprint!

So, uh, it's been just over 4 years since I posted last, and by extension, since I last worked on the magnum. A lot has happened in these years: I've graduated high school and finished my first year of university. whoops! But now I've finally gotten off my ass and picked this up again. I hope this isn't necroposting as it is a build update but please let me know if it's a breach of the rules.

Ok, so...
Where we left off, only the grip was painted. Time for the silver then! It would have covered way better with an undercoat, but I decided to put that energy into just painting the silver directly. After coat after coat after coat, it covered nicely and has a great sheen. Image dump:
20211218_151459.jpg
20211218_151505.jpg

20211218_160342.jpg
20211218_160507.jpg
20211219_213942.jpg
20211221_004026.jpg

Initially I was avoiding the recesses to leave them black, but eventually I thought the contrast was a bit harsh so I went in with some diluted silver to tone it down a tad.

But wait there's more!

After painting the hammer? loaded chamber indicator? :unsure: the red thing, darker metallic details like the magazine plate, rear sights, and the ejection port* are painted with a simple black/silver mix.
*What would this part be called? The actual ejection port is more forward where the slide opens up behind the scope.
20211225_140831.jpg
20220101_163651.jpg
20220101_163704.jpg

20220101_163743.jpg

And a first-person test to close out this post. Up next are touch ups, a little bit of work on the rear dot sights, the grip, and a black wash. Until next time! (Hopefully in less than 4 years...:p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back