Props Halo Infinite Cavallino Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steben

Hello!
I've been building Moesizzlac's Cavallino Model off of Thingiverse. I recently finished sanding it and I realized that I might want to insert a 30mm cooling fan in it. I'm trying to figure out where I should put it in the helmet and how to rig/wire it. Has anybody built and put a cooling fan in this model?
I was thinking that I might be able to cut in a square hole where there appears to be a vent configuration, on the side of the helmet just behind the cheek. I could put some mesh between the fan and the frame, so it wouldn't mess up the look.
If this idea wouldn't work or would be too risky, what are some ideas that could work?
Idea shown below:
cavallino build 2_LI.jpg

Cavallino build 1.jpg

If I can figure it out, I'll show some pictures of how I did it.
And here's the model link if anyone's interested: Halo Infinite - Cavallino Helmet by moesizzlac

Let me know what you guys think!

There's not a whole lot going on under the brim. If for some reason you decide against the cheeks, and assuming the fans fit, that might be a good spot to keep any vents out of sight.

Last edited:
There's not a while lot going on under the brim. If for some reason you decide against the cheeks, and assuming the fans fit, that might be a good spot to keep any vents out of sight.
The fan actually slides in with a few millimeters of tolerance, so I might go with that. I was debating putting it in the bottom, just under the chin, but it would be somewhat visible. Thanks for the input!

Honestly could recommend fans in the front. One on top and one on the bottom.
Got fans set up in my Scout gen2 helmet which didn't have a lot space and front top/bottom were only small spaces I managed to fit in tiny fans and it turned out to be a total win. This setup keeps you cool and away from sweating and works perfectly - bottom fan blows onto your lower face and upper fan on your forehead. Fit batteries in the back but you seem to have quite lot of space left for that too.

1648673005652.png

This is my fan setup and can 100% recommend it. As you can see a very little space but even those very small fans, they did wonders wonders.
Helmet is very bare inside for best airflow (foam makes skin sweat) so a little upholstery foam for the cheeks just so the helmet stays in position.
This works very well with a helmet that's quite slim and longer in the front. The visor never fogged up because the fans were just blowing into your face and cooling it down and preventing you from sweating. Very nice and chill - actually was more comfortable in the helmet than when taking it off lol.
Hopefully that helps.

1648674751586.png

This is my fan setup and can 100% recommend it. As you can see a very little space but even those very small fans, they did wonders wonders.
Helmet is very bare inside for best airflow (foam makes skin sweat) so a little upholstery foam for the cheeks just so the helmet stays in position.
This works very well with a helmet that's quite slim and longer in the front. The visor never fogged up because the fans were just blowing into your face and cooling it down and preventing you from sweating. Very nice and chill - actually was more comfortable in the helmet than when taking it off lol.
Hopefully that helps.

View attachment 315917
so you didn't have to cut a hole or anything for the fans at all? I might actually try this, Thank you!

so you didn't have to cut a hole or anything for the fans at all? I might actually try this, Thank you!
No. Didn't cut any holes or haven't done any modifications in the helmet for the fans to fit in.
I glued the fans on 4 small pieces of foam so they have space and airflow all around them.
That was my solution to not having to cut any visual holes in the helmet (fans are in the front so I didn't want any holes to destroy the visual appearance but with this setup fans work great and keep me cool and away from sweating no matter how hot it gets.
Hope that helps.

Update on the Helmet:

Everything is going pretty well, I ordered a 9" by 13" gold visor material off of Etsy that I think will go with it pretty well.
(here's the link if you're interested: NEW Colors Universal 9 X 13 Mirrored Visor Club | Etsy )
I put a silver metallic undercoat to help with battle damage. I put shreds of masking tape on the edges of the front of the helmet that will be pulled off after all the overcoats are put on. It's looking pretty cool already.

cavallino metallic.jpg
cavallino battle damage.jpg

Using the full helmet file that Moesizzlac included on Thingiverse and the 3D Builder Microsoft app, I was able to paint up the model digitally to get an idea of what colors I wanted to go where. Here's a rough draft of what the final finished helmet will look like:

2022-04-04.png

I'm really excited for how this helmet will turn out. Thank you guys for all the input on where to put the cooling fans inside, I'll be inserting that system after the padding goes inside.

Anywho, Happy building!

Update:
I put the paint on. It turned out very well. Here's a picture of it with just the black and grey on. It looks really cool even though it not done yet.
cav silver.jpg

And here are some pictures of it with the red on. I think it turned out very well.
Cav 1.jpg
cav 2.jpg

The battle damage pops out nicely. Some of it was caused by the masking tape pulling off a wee bit of the paint, but it doesn't look awful at all.
It needs some touchups in some places where the spray paint leaked under the tape, but that's an easy fix with some craft paint.

I received some of the electronics in the mail a couple days ago, so I'm getting ready to put in the cooling fans within a few days.
More updates will follow.

Go red team!

If you have a small gap between the visor and the top of the helmet placing a blower fan as an exhaust source above the visor going out helps a TON
I was actually going to put a fan in that position and in the mouth area as shown in a photo earlier in this thread, but I was wondering what directions each fan should be pointing. Thanks! What direction should the lower fan be pointed? If you would recommend it?

I was actually going to put a fan in that position and in the mouth area as shown in a photo earlier in this thread, but I was wondering what directions each fan should be pointing. Thanks! What direction should the lower fan be pointed? If you would recommend it?
Once I am home I will take a few photos! I mount mine near my ears so I can't give too much advice when it comes to the bottom mounted fan. If you can mount the blower going out of the helmet in the top the bottom could be mounted upwards so it ensures the visor doesn't fog.

Small Update:
I started on the padding. I'm using hot glue to hold in some foam from an old camping mat I had laying around. Its pretty firm stuff, and I think it has a pretty cool pattern. I'm not putting on too much today, just to make sure that there's room for the electronics and wiring.
Does anyone have any tips on mounting helmet padding?
1652150989395.jpeg

In the photo, you can see a switch mounted on the inside left of the helmet. I just temporarily tacked that on to see how well it would fit in. Its a good spot, but the only downside is that the switch sounds like a gunshot with every push.

Things are going well, i just got off of a vacation, so its going a little slow.

Happy building!

I got the blackwash layer on and out on a clearcoat to preserve it. I kind of wanted to mimic how the dirty and grimy the helmet/armor get while playing around in the multiplayer. I think it turned out pretty well. Soon I'll put in the visor, and then the fan afterwards.
1653585953262.jpeg
1653585987990.jpeg
1653586012849.jpeg

Just a small update.
Happy building!

Update:
I got the visor in! It was the first time Ive ever put in a see-through visor. I messed up a tiny bit, but its not too noticeable. I also got more padding in so its more snug on my head.

1654796127756.jpeg
1654796156546.jpeg

The helmet makes me look like a giraffe, but I guess if I ever get to building a matching armor set it wont matter too much.
I still need to install the fan on the inside, so Ill get to that probably soon.
I really like how this helmet turned out on the outside. A lot was learned from it, and a lot of improvement was made compared to my first helmet.
Just wanted to share this small update.
happy building!

Update:
I got the visor in! It was the first time Ive ever put in a see-through visor. I messed up a tiny bit, but its not too noticeable. I also got more padding in so its more snug on my head.

View attachment 319025View attachment 319026

The helmet makes me look like a giraffe, but I guess if I ever get to building a matching armor set it wont matter too much.
I still need to install the fan on the inside, so Ill get to that probably soon.
I really like how this helmet turned out on the outside. A lot was learned from it, and a lot of improvement was made compared to my first helmet.
Just wanted to share this small update.
happy building!
That visor looks amazing! Is it an Icon Props visor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back