1st Build Halo Infinite Master Chief (3D print build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What software did you use to cut everything you needed to in half?
I used meshmixer. There is a tool called "plane cut" that allows you to cut things and export each half as an .stl file. I had to cut the chest into 8 pieces, and the back had to be cut into 14 in order to have everything able to print on my Ender-5.

20220324_231533.jpg

20220324_091135.jpg

I know that this is not the most significant update to give, but the lower left quarter of the chest has been printed. I left one of the upper left parts on the printer as I went out of town. When I get back I will have 3/4 of the left half of the chest finished, I should be able to start that last quarter as soon as I get back tomorrow afternoon. Look for an update on Saturday/Sunday with the rest of the left half of the chest.

wow... that was probably really confusing to read since I was talking about sections of a section of a section. Sorry about that lol.

so... I was hoping to have the chest done by now but some unseen obstacles had gotten in the way. In other words: There's good news and bad news.

The Bad:
-It turns out you are supposed to replace the hotend on your printer after every so often. I had never replaced it since I bought the printer in the summer of 2019... Can you see where this is going? no? well, a small fire started and destroyed the heating cartridge and thermistor.

The Good:
-I replaced the ender 5 hotend and it is printing as good as new
-I got my ender 3 pro back up and running
-I finished printing the Daft Punk helmet on my ender 3 pro so now it is back to working on chief
-I have 3/4 parts printing right now to finish the chest.

I should have an update in a few days when I get the chest all printed and put together. I'll include photos then.

Oh no... that's about when I got my printer! And I haven't replaced mine. Didn't know you needed to until it was a problem. Hope apart from those parts, nothing else in your house/workshop got damaged?

Oh no... that's about when I got my printer! And I haven't replaced mine. Didn't know you needed to until it was a problem. Hope apart from those parts, nothing else in your house/workshop got damaged?
Nothing else in my office was damaged, the fire was not large at all (about the size of a normal candle flame.) It was probably caused by constant stress. I tend to take the hotend cover off a lot to access the hotend (replacing nozzles, unclogging, etc.) so it was presumably caused by wires being worn down from the way I had to move the cover. I completely replaced my hotend on the Ender-5 after it happened and it is now printing as good as it was when I first bought it. It is currently printing 2 of the 3 remaining pieces for the chest.

Quick update, I have printed out about 1/4th of the back since the last update. I took a couple of days to let my printers rest... also I was fidgeting with the files. Galactic Armory's files that I am using for this project really do not take too kindly to being cut up... Anyways, I'd say give it another week and I should have the torso all printed!

Quick update, I have printed out about 1/4th of the back since the last update. I took a couple of days to let my printers rest... also I was fidgeting with the files. Galactic Armory's files that I am using for this project really do not take too kindly to being cut up... Anyways, I'd say give it another week and I should have the torso all printed!
i think the files look great, but they are not user friendly at all. and have SOO much wasted filament to the insides. wish i understood file editing more and could cut and remove the entire inner shell and only leave the outer shell. id have saved at least 5 kg

I have the right side of the back printed out, I am going to be completely booked this weekend, so I won't be able to have it glued together for a bit. i may wait until I have the entirety of the back printed out to get glue-ing

well, it's been a while... Unfortunately, I have decided to scrap the Halo Infinite Chief project. The files that I got from Galactic Armory aren't quite friendly when the time comes to try to cut the files down to fit a smaller printer. On top of that, the pieces are unreasonably thick and use up WAY too much filament. I am just now starting on printing MoeSizzlac's H3 chief, I might make a new thread for that, but who knows? I've already got the files appropriately scaled, and MoeSizzlac offers a pre-cut armor set sized for an ender 3. I have an ender 3 and an ender 5, so this shouldn't take longer than a month and a half to print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back