Pepakura HALO Infinite Master Chief Fore Arm build - (My first pepakura build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerBH2014

This is my first time using pepakura, but it is not my first time making a cosplay. I've used foam and cardboard, and now I'm trying something different.

I am using templates provided by ShaneDark, who's templates look very accurate in my opinion. And instead of using card-stock, I am using the thin cardboard used in soda, cracker, cereal, and pretty much any junk food box. I feel that it will make my build even stronger while I work on it, hopefully making it easier. I am open to tips and advice about what I'm doing, because it is my first attempt.

My status so far: Left fore arm.
Halo pic.jpg
Halo infinite vambrace.jpg
halo pic 4.jpg
Halo pic 2.jpg

Last edited:
After covering it with fiberglass resin, and waiting till the next day to dry, I then covered it with bondo to smooth it out and get rid of the carboard feel to it.

Bondoing something is quite a challenge. It's not hard, but it's very time consuming. First I sanded it down for about an hour, than I filled up most of the holes and imperfections with plastic wood putty. I then sanded it down again for another hour or so, and finally got this.
IMG_5948.jpg
IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

Last edited:
We now finally reach the end of the first fore arm. (I won't be posting progress of the other one) As you can see it looks decently convincing. First I primed it with black spray paint. I then painted it with an acrylic olive green. Afterwards I covered it all with some watered down black paint to give it some noticeable grime. Finally I took a metallic silver spray paint, sprayed it onto a paper plate, took a paint brush, and painted all the edges and left over holes and dents to look like battle damage.
IMG_5955.jpg
IMG_5958.jpg
IMG_5959.jpg
IMG_5961.jpg
IMG_5962.jpg
IMG_5963.jpg

I also added 5mm EVA foam along the edges of the fore arm to make it cleaner, but also because the new Master Chief actually has this design.
IMG_5964.jpg
IMG_5965.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much. And I feel pretty good, but it's going to be a long and tedious project. That one little forearm took me five days to build.
It is definitely a tedious process but its a rewarding one! Look forward to seeing you continue it. Any deadlines or more open ended.

It looks like you did not add any Fiberglass cloth/matt to the interior of the piece? I know that resin soaked cardboard like you are using can gain a fair amount of rigidity and strength on its own, but I would still recommend using some fiberglass cloth/matt on the interior of the larger pieces when you get to them, like the chest and back and the thighs, just make sure they are a strong as possible.

It looks like you did not add any Fiberglass cloth/matt to the interior of the piece? I know that resin soaked cardboard like you are using can gain a fair amount of rigidity and strength on its own, but I would still recommend using some fiberglass cloth/matt on the interior of the larger pieces when you get to them, like the chest and back and the thighs, just make sure they are a strong as possible.
Thank you for the advice. Iv'e been learning this by book, and it suggested a mixture of Bondo and fiberglass resin, called Rondo to also solve that problem. Can you vouch for that?

Thank you for the advice. Iv'e been learning this by book, and it suggested a mixture of Bondo and fiberglass resin, called Rondo to also solve that problem. Can you vouch for that?
I like to use both, actually. I will lay down my Fiberglass cloth/matte and then will put a layer of "Rondo" on top of it to help cover any sharp or jagged Fiberglass points. I will also use Rondo as a smoothing item on the outside of a piece.

I like to use both, actually. I will lay down my Fiberglass cloth/matte and then will put a layer of "Rondo" on top of it to help cover any sharp or jagged Fiberglass points. I will also use Rondo as a smoothing item on the outside of a piece.
Id agree, just be careful how heavly you use it as it can add alot of weight quickly. I'd look into fiberglass tissue/cloth for the inside with a buffer of eva foam (like yoy already have) for protection against the potential sharp threads. Rondo is great for adding material for smoothing surfaces and I'll also use it to fill in detailed areas from the inside so that I can carve through the paper. But I'd probably avoid using is as a pure structural component due to the additional weight. If that makes sense?

Id agree, just be careful how heavly you use it as it can add alot of weight quickly. I'd look into fiberglass tissue/cloth for the inside with a buffer of eva foam (like yoy already have) for protection against the potential sharp threads. Rondo is great for adding material for smoothing surfaces and I'll also use it to fill in detailed areas from the inside so that I can carve through the paper. But I'd probably avoid using is as a pure structural component due to the additional weight. If that makes sense?
It does. Thank you for the advice. I will definitely take it into account for the rest of the suit.

Thank you for the idea. Like I said I've never done pepakura before and I appreciate the advice.

I've now started working on the handpiece, which is proving to much easier.

The pieces of cardboard cut out.
IMG_5972.jpg

All the cardboard pieces assembled to form the hand. To elevate parts of it, I used normal cardboard underneath.
IMG_5974.jpg

I finished sanding down all the Bondo, and this time, instead of using plastic wood putty, I used DAP Kwikseal. Which worked much better and was hardly noticeable. Then I went ahead and added a black primer to it.

I will be spray painting the rest of the armor, rather than painting with acrylics. The acrylic paint gives the armor a slight wood texture to it, and I don't want that. That will also mean I will be remaking the left fore arm... eventually. It's no fun doing the same thing over and over again.
IMG_5994.jpg

I am sorry to say, that I am not going to finish building the Infinite Master Chief out of Pepakura. I merely wanted to use this as a learning attempt, and found that it's not for me. Instead I'll be starting anew making it out of foam, because that, I know how to do. I will finish the fore arm, just so it can be complete, and then I'll post pictures on that.

I am sorry to say, that I am not going to finish building the Infinite Master Chief out of Pepakura. I merely wanted to use this as a learning attempt, and found that it's not for me. Instead I'll be starting anew making it out of foam, because that, I know how to do. I will finish the fore arm, just so it can be complete, and then I'll post pictures on that.
Sounds like it's been a successful build in a different manner - even if you haven't finished it (yet), you've found that this method of building isn't for you and you're going to keep experimenting. Looking forward to the new one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back