Halo- Last Horizon - Open Casting Call!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys.

Im not going to be wrighting Chapter 7 until I have my ODST finished (im on that 100% now). But, if you wan't me to wright the next chapter really bad, show support.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers!

That is awsome, i can't wait for chapter 7, that is really good. Now the 5 days till ODST will seem longer. whether or not you write the chapter or complete your ODST suit (we want pics) is fine with me, i would love to see the ODST suit when its done.

-Gaza

Okay everybody. I was writing the next installment of "Tips and Tricks with Tactics", when I came across the book. I started reading Chapter 6, and noticed that its hard to believe a single squad of ODST's could take out a fully prepaired platoon of marines. 35 marines versus 6 ODST's? I don't think thats possible to win for the ODST's. So, I edited a bit of the chapter to add in a second squad of ODST's, and to add in more description of the drop. I think I nailed it prety well, but lets see what you can all say.

Chapter IV- Running on Thin Ice​

October 5th, 2551. 0153 Hours. UNSC Dieing Alliance. Drop Pod Bay 2.​

“Alright, we have a little surprise for you all’ I began. We stepped through the pressurized doors and entered the dark hanger. As my eyes adjusted to the dark hanger, only lit by multiple computer screens, a few red flickering lights, and the cigarettes of two marines in the corner. I looked over to my left and saw six metallic black drop pods. I looked at them proudly and turned to the squad. “These are the new HEV Pods.” I hit the side of the one nearest to me. “We will be taking them for a test ride. This is their first simulated combat test, so be gentle with them” The men chuckled as they stood around me. Smiles cracked their faces, and they looked at each other and myself eagerly wanting to get into action. “Alright, gear up!” I barked as all of the marines disbursed and jogged to the ammunition lockers. I began to follow just as the pressurized doors slid open again. There were six dark figures clad in ODST armour waiting on the other side.

“Second squad ready for combat!” A female voice cracked over my comm. system.

I walked over to the dark figure closest to me. As the pressurized doors closed, I caught a glimpse of her chest plate. In matt white lettering, the name “Douglas” was scribed across the top portion of the chest plate. Just beside it, four “V’s” on top of each other stared at me. I snapped to attention and saluted “Gunnery Sergeant Douglas!”

Douglas returned my salute. “Sergeant Furlong.” I put my hands behind my back, and as I opened my mouth to speak, Sergeant Douglas spoke first. “I have been informed by Commander Brett that we will be jumping ahead of schedule.” I brought up the time on my heads-up display, it was 0155 hours on the dot.

“How long until we reach our drop point?” I asked as I looked towards the ammunition lockers. Everybody was grabbing their gear.

“Approximately three minutes and thirty-four seconds…” Replied the Gunnery Sergeant. “My boys are already ready to go. We’re waiting on you now”

“Copy that” I switched my comm. setting to Bravo Squad. “Alright, everybody gear up, double time! We are dropping in two minutes and fourteen seconds! I expect everybody to be in their pod in less then sixty seconds, move!” I barked as everybody started to slam magazines into their weapons and pouches. I quickly walked over to the furthest locker to the right. I opened it and grabbed a Sniper Rifle from the compartment. I then grabbed a magazine, and slammed it home. I grabbed an extra two magazines and slid them into a magazine pouch on my right shin. I quickly closed the ammunition locker and moved over to the locker two lockers over to the left. I put my Sniper Rifle on the top of the locker, and opened it. I quickly grabbed a Battle Rifle, then a magazine. I slammed the magazine into the butt of the rifle, and heard a click as the ammo counter snapped to twelve. I then knelt down and grabbed two more magazines from the lower shelf of the locker. I slid them into my left shin pocket.

As I looked up to grab another two magazines, I glanced at my squad. “Bravo squad, get moving!” I barked as I pushed another two magazines into the pocket on my right kidney plate. I grabbed two more magazines and slid them into the pouch on my left kidney plate. Satisfied, I stood up, and shouldered my Battle Rifle. I peered down the iron sights, and focused on the front sight. I took my cheek off the cheek rest and quickly looked at the locker for a scope. I spotted one, then grabbed it and slid it onto the 20mm rail just in front of the back iron sight. I then shouldered the weapon again. I clicked a button on the top of the scope, and as I peered through the scope, I heard the sound of a quiet motor as small adjustments were being made to the scopes sighting. When the adjustments stopped, a quick, quiet beep sounded signifying the scope was sighted.

I grasped the Sniper Rifle in my left hand, and the Battle Rifle in my right. I then turned on my heels, and jogged over to the pod furthest to the right. “Alright marines, you know what to do!” I barked as the marines stowed their weapons and began to clamber into the pods. I placed the Sniper Rifle into the left compartment, and the Battle Rifle into the right. A metallic click echoed through the pod bay as the weapons went into place. I then quickly double checked my ammunition, then climbed in.

As the pods doors closed, I adjusted my helmet. Just as the door closed and the cabin of the pod pressurized, the pods cabin came to life. The screens in front of me began to glow as the masked faces of Gunnery Sergeant Douglas and Corporal Welsh appeared on two of the doors screens. I looked down to see a altitude map, and the heart rates of my squad. Everybody was alive and kicking.

I opened the comm. channel to Bravo squad. “Bravo squad, check in”

“Bravo 26 okay!” Rogers responded.

“Bravo 24 okay!” Roundhouse yelled.

“Bravo 23 okay!” Wellington mumbled.

“Bravo 25 okay!” Dunham whispered

“Bravo 22 okay!” Welsh exclaimed

“Bravo 21 okay!” I said. “13 seconds to drop! Remember the operation, remember your training, and you will make it through this.”

“Ooh Rah!” The marines hollered.

We continued to wait as my clock ticked. Five seconds… Three… Two… When the ETA timer hit zero, I felt a jolt in the cabin of my pod. We began to drop.

A few moments had passed when we hit the atmosphere. My pod began to shake in every direction, more and more. I began to rise off of my seat as our speed accelerated. I began looking around my pod. Looking at the two screens with Welsh and Douglas in them. They were both looking around their pod, at the screens watching their squad members heart rates climb. Their visors were clear, both were poorly light by the suns rays, and the glow of the screens in front of them.

“Sir, is it supposed to be like this” Welsh asked. His voice was extremely shaky, and hard to understand because of the static and the constant vibration of out pods.

“This is a first run for these pods, so most likely!” I replied as I continued looking around my pod. As we continued our decent towards the earths surface, I kept looking back at the altitude meter. The pod was shaking violently now. My helmet began to bounce around on my head. I watched the meters number constantly sink as we continued our fall through what I came to call the twelfth level of hell. I watched the meter continue to fall to and past 10,000 feet. I switched on my comm. to Bravo squad, and began to give instructions. “Bravo squad, on my mark fire your burner jets.” I waited for the meter to fall to 9,500 feet. “Three… Two… One… Mark!”. On my mark, our pods started to increase in speed. The jets pushed us through the atmosphere and we began to fall through the clouds. “Heaven” as I called it. The clouds meant you made it through the worst part of the atmosphere. If you made it through the atmosphere, chances are you would make it to the ground… Alive.

My pod started to shake less violently. I watched the meter fall to 5,000 feet. The burner jets shut off just as the meter read 4,500 feet. The clouds were parting around my pod like warm butter being sliced by a knife and spiralled like a set of ribbons following my pod. The drop pod was becoming very hot now, and I began to sweat uncontrollably. I began to see smoke and fire surround my pod and all of the marines pods in front of me. I continued to look at the altitude meter. 3,200 feet from the ground… We were all in perfect formation, ready to land in two separate attack positions. I glanced at the heart monitors. Nobody was flat-lined, so we were all still alive. I looked at the altitude meter again. 3,050 feet. I turned on my comm. channel. to Bravo squad. “On my mark, release drag-chutes… Three… Two… One… Mark!” I quickly clicked a button on my right control stick. My pod hit a sharp bump, and my neck slammed into by body. I looked at the altitude again, 2,750 feet… My pods speed continued to slow as the flames on outside of my pod slowly decimated, and the smoke increased heavily. I could see the ground now quickly approaching. I looked at the altitude meter once again, 1,900 feet. I could hear a sharp whistle on the outside of my pod now. I looked at the meter as my pods speed continued to decrease with the altitude of my pod. I was now at 950 feet.

I looked down at the ground again. I could see the DZ. There was light snow on the ground, with dormant shrubs scattered across the landscape. I couldn’t see any enemy weapon emplacements. There were no sings of movement, or activity of any sort. The possibility of a quiet touchdown filled my head. No combat at the DZ was not likely, but there is always a possibility.

I looked at the altitude meter again, 250 feet. A red light started to flash inside of my pods cabin just as I flicked on my squads comm. channel. I looked at Welsh and Douglas. The luminous glow of the red light made us all look like demons waiting to torment our next victim. “Stand by for an abrupt halt in… Three… Two… One…” Just as I was going to say mark, my pod slammed into the frozen dirt of the artic tundra. The force of the abrupt stop nearly crushed my neck. A high toned buzz sounded, and a green LED lit up my pods cabin. My visor automatically flicked from top to bottom to black. A second later, the pod doors blew off and I ran out into the daylight of the Northern night.

If you know your stuff about Halo, you can see where this book is going (Hint-Bravo 21).

I also edited the sceen where Dunham is wounded by a live grenade. Its a little graphic, so read at your own risk.

We spotted Rogers and Dunham taking cover behind one of the trench walls. Rogers had his back to the white wall, his shoulders and head nearly covered in snow. Dunham had his head and SMG poked around the corner as he took pop shots at the enemy. One of the enemy marines came running and screaming holding a grenade in his hand.

“Drop him, now!” Dunham yelled. We all open fired on the marine, he fell, and dropped the grenade.

“Crap, it’s a live one, everyone, out of the trench!” I hollered as we all either dived behind a wall or jumped out of the trench. The grenade went off, and Dunham screamed.

“You bastards!” Rogers yelled. He jumped down from the top of the trench and open fired taking down three marines. He then heard a series of clicks as the SMG had emptied and was useless. He threw it at another remaining marine, tore his helmet off, and threw that too at the marine now only standing there with his mouth wide open looking at the body of the marine on the ground. He then charged at him and tackled him into the trench wall.

“Open fire!” I yelled as me and Welsh fired at the remaining marines. They all dropped as our magazines emptied.

I looked over at Rogers as he was hitting the marine over and over again with the marines own helmet. “You sick, twisted, sadistic bastard!” He yelled. “Why would you do that! Why!” He began to sob as he continued hitting the marine, who was helpless on the ground.

I ran over to Rogers and threw him off the marine. He was just a kid. Seventeen at the most. His nose was bleeding, and he was sobbing and still covering his head. I pulled off my helmet and began to check his wounds.

“Hey. Hey!” The kid looked up at me with tears in his eyes. “You’ll be fine. Toughen up, and help me over here.” I dragged him over the marine who dropped the active grenade. His carcass was just a pile of mutilated, inhuman remains. The blood of his body was melting the snow. Steam arose from the now cooling body. I continued to look at it. Desensitized, I didn’t gag, my stomach didn’t turn, and I simply looked at the marine as if he was simply another life claimed by the ravages of war.

I awoke from my stare, and looked over at the other marine. His nose was dripping blood still. His head was tilted back as he attempted to stop the constant flow. His nose was broken. “Who is this!?” I asked as I pointed at the twisted remains. The marine only stared at the body. “I said, who the hell is this!” I shook him, angrily.

The marine cleared his throat. “That’s Private Winston… Was Private Winston.”

“Did he just say Winston, sir?” Welsh asked. He looked over at the marine, and pulled off his helmet.

“Yes, he did.” I replied.

“Private James T. Winston?” Welsh began to approach the marine.

“Yea.” the marine sobbed.

“Crap…” He looked over at the remains for a split second, and looked away with disgust. He vomited.

“What?” I asked as I looked over at Welsh as he whipped his mouth.

“I used to go to school with that bastard. He had a problem with me. We fought a lot.” He continued to look away from the body. He then directed his attention to Rogers who was now tending to Dunham.

I looked over at Dunham, as I had almost completely forgot he had been wounded. His right leg and part of his butt was chewed up from the grenade. Small fragments of the grenade were visible, their sharp, shiny faces seeming to smile at me. His black shin and thigh armour was shattered. Steam from his body was rising into the cold northern Canadian air as he groaned in pain. His entire leg was drenched in blood. Spatters of blood were everywhere on his body, on the snow around him, and on Rogers.

Rogers said to Dunham “This may sting a little” as he pulled a Bio-foam canister from his medic pouch. He adjusted the nozzle, and stuck it into the deepest gash in Dunham’s leg. Dunham winced with pain. “Hold on…” Said Rogers through gritted teeth not wanting to hurt his fellow soldier. He squeezed the button, and Dunham screamed in agony. He was panting heavily when a mass of cream colored foam surfaced from not only the one wound, but several others around it. Dunham removed the nozzle, and chucked the can away.

I shifted my attention back to the marine. His hand and chest was drenched in blood. Welsh handed him a field dressing to help stop the bleeding. “So, do you think this action was deliberate?” I asked.

“More then likely, sir.” Welsh replied while looking at the mutilated remains the KIA marine once again.

“Ok, cover him up.” Rogers took a medical blanket from his medic bag. I quickly looked over the body again, and located his dog tags. I pulled them from the marines remains, and dropped them into some clean snow. I knelt down, and rubbed the blood off of them with the snow. I then tucked them into one of my ammo pouches.

I turned back to Rogers. “Rogers, how is Dunham doing?”

“He got a few in the butt and leg, but nothing bad. He’ll make it.” He looked over at Dunham, and frowned. He whipped some of the blood from his hands onto his pant leg, and helped Dunham into cover.

Tell me what you think everybody. I need to know what needs improvement, and how to possibly improve it. The more I know about what you all want, the better the book will be.

Cheers!

Great to hear you like it so far...

Ok, because of the feed back I have gotten via MSN and through the 405th PM system, I have decided to have a casting call for anybody who would like to be in the book. The characters will have very short apperiances throughout the training exercises, but some characters may come back after training during the two big battles at the end.

I only have room for 15 ODST's, so get in now while you can. I need to know the name of your ODST, and his or her bio (Hair colour, eye colour, body build, specialty, prefered weapons and their personallity). Also plese specify if you wouldn't mind being KIA (Not literally KIA, just hit and plays dead for the rest of the game) during one of the training operations. I will fill in the rest from there.

Thanks for your interest!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Great to hear you like it so far...

Ok, because of the feed back I have gotten via MSN and through the 405th PM system, I have decided to have a casting call for anybody who would like to be in the book. The characters will have very short apperiances throughout the training exercises, but some characters may come back after training during the two big battles at the end.

I only have room for 15 ODST's, so get in now while you can. I need to know the name of your ODST, and his or her bio (Hair colour, eye colour, body build, specialty, prefered weapons and their personallity). Also plese specify if you wouldn't mind being KIA (Not literally KIA, just hit and plays dead for the rest of the game) during one of the training operations. I will fill in the rest from there.

Thanks for your interest!

Name: Hayden Sharp

Hair: brown

Eyes: Green

Body Build: Pretty average ( strong but swift at the same time)

Specialty: close quarters combat

Preferred weapon: Shotgun

Personality: He is the joker on the team he can always make people smile in the darkest of time but when he needs to be serious he can. He is very skilled in combat and has had a lot of training fighting the covenant. He uses his sense of humour to hide his sense of depression after watching a good friend of his be slaughtered by the covenant when they were held captive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vert Marine 752 said:
Name: Hayden Sharp

Hair: brown

Eyes: Green

Body Build: Pretty average ( strong but swift at the same time)

Specialty: close quarters combat

Preferred weapon: Shotgun

Personality: He is the joker on the team he can always make people smile in the darkest of time but when he needs to be serious he can. He is very skilled in combat and has had a lot of training fighting the covenant. He uses his sense of humour to hide his sense of depression after watching a good friend of his be slaughtered by the covenant when they were held captive.

Forgot to mention you will all have not seen the Covenant because its 2551, and because all of you will just be ODST Trainees. Some of you (maybe 2 or 3 of you) may be Sergeants, but they will also have not seen the Covenant. Maybe some rebellion action stuff, but not the Covenant.

And the apperiances will be VERY limited. It would be something like this.

I looked to my right just in time to see Sharp peeking his head over the rubbel. Just as he went to signial "move forward", a training round pinged off of his helmet. He toppeled down the pile of broken cement.

"Sniper!" I yelled as another round hit Dunn in the shoulder.

That would be about it.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Forgot to mention you will all have not seen the Covenant because its 2551, and because all of you will just be ODST Trainees. Some of you (maybe 2 or 3 of you) may be Sergeants, but they will also have not seen the Covenant. Maybe some rebellion action stuff, but not the Covenant.

And the apperiances will be VERY limited. It would be something like this.

That would be about it.

i die fast i c but would that be the only line just curious and it sounds good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back