Halo Mark Vi Armor W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, glad to have you here on the forums! Looks like you're doing really good so far timonemycat... as for your torso piece, it does look a tad to big. But it can be a minor thing... just have to see how it goes with your shoulder pieces. Keep at it! :)

Hey guys, here's an update!

I've stopped working on pep for a little while, spending that time Resining:
MCprogress012.jpg

Fiberglassing:
MCprogress010.jpg

Bondo time:
MCprogress013.jpg

MCprogress014.jpg

It's not as hard to accomplish as I thought it would be, although I am having one trouble spot:
MCprogress016.jpg

I've Bondo'd it twice now, and the Bondo doesn't seem to stick, any ideas? I was thinking i might sand into the helm more in that area, and fill in with Bondo. What do you guys think about that?

I feel like I've sanded down pretty much everything. Should I now primer? After priming the piece, can I Bondo on top of the paint? Or should I sand back down under where there's still problems?

the official verdict on what to do would be to fill the indentations with spotting putty
nice work on the helm (i find bondo to be a pain in the fingers)
keep it up

Another update guys! Been spending ungodly hours bondo-ing. When people say they've been bondo-sand-bondo-sand-ing, I now know exactly what they mean! Takes a lot of patience and time, but then end result is really really good. Just keep at it!
MCProgress017.jpg

MCProgress021.jpg

MCProgress020.jpg

Still in the mid stages here:
MCProgress023.jpg

MCProgress018.jpg

As you can see, I'm doing the floating faces out of bondo, and so far, I think its a really good way to go. You can shape it any way you want, and it makes clean faces. If there's one tip I'd give people, it's not to glue the floating faces that they put in the pep files to the helm, it just adds more work. What I've been doing is pouring bondo all over the area to be designed, flattening it out, then using a sharpie and the cut out faces from paper, and draw them onto the bondo. It's easy from there, as you can just Dremel out the rest...

In order for the visor to fit flush in the space, I think I'm gunna need to cut this thing off. Is this normal to do?
MCProgress025-1.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!

It's really coming along! Looks like you're getting the bondoing down pretty good. I haven't started working with bondo yet, but I'll be resining and glassing my ODST gear soon enough, then onto bondo. Keep us posted, can't wait to see more!

Check it guys! Finished with the torso! For the lower abdominal section, how do you guys recommend keeping it from warping, the two supports arent enough, and its hard to keep it together since its kinda flat?
MCProgress027.jpg

MCProgress028.jpg

MCProgress026.jpg

I also am finished sanding/bondoing the helmet, this picture is taken right before I primed it.
mchelm.jpg

coming along great, this stuf just makes me more anxious to start posting my stuff (wich i will do as soon as my camera decides not to be stupid)

but great work so far, the helmet is great and the chest pieces looks outstanding!

what i did with my chest (it was 460mm) was after i got it together i hot glued the crap outta it running along even sum of just the bends then i just resined the underneath shoulders,then after it dried i put a big clothes hanger in its (like you would hang your shirt) and gradually resined from top to bottom allowing dry time minimized the warping alot ju do small portions

Regarding the visor placement, I took a comrades suggestion to put masking tape on the visor, and fill in the gaps with bondo/kawk/etc. Here are the results, and a little paint as well (y) I really love how my helm turned out so far, compared to my previous attempts with styrene. Go Pepakura!

mchelm002.jpg

The helmet looks fan-fricken-tastic! I agree with Overlord_Ian though, that you need to add the vents on the sides. And to be honest, I was hoping to see a double-layered visor with this helmet. Also, the back of the helmet, the part on the bottom which sits just above the neckline, needs to be black rather than red. Those critiques aside, great job on the helmet!! You can't tell it's a pep and the weathering is just right. Some people tend to put too much on, but you've got a good balance here. I can't wait to see the rest of your suit. It looks like it's coming along nicely too.

Awesome helmet! Looks great... I would just add a little more black washing to the top back on the sides (if that makes any sense), but overall, great looking helmet! :)

Waiting to see the torso finished!

pooper said:
Awesome helmet! Looks great... I would just add a little more black washing to the top back on the sides (if that makes any sense), but overall, great looking helmet! :)

Waiting to see the torso finished!
(y)

You are doing an excellent job! The starting with one of the hardest chest pieces only builds your pepping skill... wait till you try one of the weapons!!!!!

Keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
o_O I completley forgot the neckline was black, thanks for reminding me! Dont worry about the vents, those arent being overlooked, I'm just trying to figure out what to use. I actually just got back from Ace Hardware, those guys never seem to have what i need. :mad: . Any recommendations?

Thank's a lot for the kind words guys; Its the criticism I'm looking for, and you guys put forward a bit of both. Thanks a lot!

I showed my family the helmet in the stage where it was all red, then after it was all weathered and battle damaged, and my mom was like "WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT? Did you drop it? It looks all dented... Wait, you made it out of metal?" LOL I'm really amazed that it turned out this good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back