halo master chief undersuit build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinesniper

Sr Member
Member DIN
S118
Hello everybody i am currently working on the halo infinite armor but i am trying to build the undersuit and was wondering if anyone has done one of the under suits on other models? and if so let me know how you did or give me a link to your build please...

ok i guess i just getting old lol, here is a screen shot of the abs model stl i was wondering how to get it to lay out like pepakura so i can make the patterns to make for the under suit. now grant it the pic is upside down but this is what im trying to figure out how to make the thing lay out like pepakura any help would be great

Attachments

• 20200512_153505.jpg
    20200512_153505.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 311
ok i guess i just getting old lol, here is a screen shot of the abs model stl i was wondering how to get it to lay out like pepakura so i can make the patterns to make for the under suit. now grant it the pic is upside down but this is what im trying to figure out how to make the thing lay out like pepakura any help would be great
Responding both to follow this (because I had similar questions) and to let you know my plan. Looking forward to hearing other people's ideas because this is all just me guessing at a process.

I was going to make a duct-tape dummy of my body. Then buy a black lycra or spandex bodysuit (or make one). Put that suit on the duct tape dummy, then cut and pin the details in a stretchable (hopefully semi-breathable) faux leather type material. I'm going to keep that top piece (below the ribs in the middle, but not the cross-hatched part) as EVA that will be attached to my suit, but have it on a hinge so that it moves readily with my body.

I was just going to eyeball it once my armor was built (put the armor on the dummy to check placement/ scale).

Responding both to follow this (because I had similar questions) and to let you know my plan. Looking forward to hearing other people's ideas because this is all just me guessing at a process.

I was going to make a duct-tape dummy of my body. Then buy a black lycra or spandex bodysuit (or make one). Put that suit on the duct tape dummy, then cut and pin the details in a stretchable (hopefully semi-breathable) faux leather type material. I'm going to keep that top piece (below the ribs in the middle, but not the cross-hatched part) as EVA that will be attached to my suit, but have it on a hinge so that it moves readily with my body.

I was just going to eyeball it once my armor was built (put the armor on the dummy to check placement/ scale).

ziggygrimm, that sounds like a good idea i might just try that. let me know how you are coming along on this and i will update you as well that way we can see how this method works out. because i printed a small scale of the abs out in tpu super flex and it does not bend that well thats why i dont want to print it.

ziggygrimm, that sounds like a good idea i might just try that. let me know how you are coming along on this and i will update you as well that way we can see how this method works out. because i printed a small scale of the abs out in tpu super flex and it does not bend that well thats why i dont want to print it.
Will do! I'll be doing a full build of my entire suit in this thread: 1st Build - ZiggyGrimm's Halo Infinite Build - Fiberglass/ Carbonfiber Over Foam, including the bodysuit at the very end (it will be months out at my current rate). You'll probably get it done way before me as I'm making everything overly complicated.

Will do! I'll be doing a full build of my entire suit in this thread: 1st Build - ZiggyGrimm's Halo Infinite Build - Fiberglass/ Carbonfiber Over Foam, including the bodysuit at the very end (it will be months out at my current rate). You'll probably get it done way before me as I'm making everything overly complicated.

its ok i will try to do the same, and there is nothing wrong with overly complicating things i do it all the time at least thats what my wifes says lol

If you're happy to invest a bit of money, check out Armorsmith - it's a program that allows you to scale parts to match your body size, then create paper patterns from it.

Doing similar. I don't normally post WIP pics because it jinxes my projects and I never finish them then. (Looking at you dinosaur costume...). But am in a similarly "stuck" situation and looking for advice/thoughts on the undersuit. Clearly the 2500's have more interesting fabric than we do in 2020...
So I did build a duct-tape dummy. Then using an old dive skin, added some muscle (because I've got covid body now) and have covered it with a stretch hex-pattern from Yana at a fabric store. That has worked out fine so far. The confusion for me is that the foam templates in the armory don't quite match the reference pictures. And in the reference pics its not clear to me what could/should be foam and what could/should remain fabric. Obviously the easy way would be to leave it all fabric and just build the "top" armor. This isn't the 501st after all, no one is going to grade you. But I like the challenge of this build, so am going to try for a little more to this techsuit.
So looking at the reference pics again, it would appear to me that if you made all of the "white" parts out of foam, you wouldn't be able to move. So I'm leaning the direction now of making a second layer of fabric, but inside-out so that there is a minor distinction between it and the "normal" fabric. Then for certain significant parts (deltoid, some chest, back and thigh) pieces, I'll use thin EVA with the inverse fabric glued to it to make it stand-out but still have the hex pattern. Then there are a few parts that'll be thin EVA with plasti-dip rubber compound for those areas that have that rubber look. Hopefully this will let me retain some mobility in my arms and legs while being a little more "screen-accurate".
Attached is a pic of the almost complete fabric suit. You can see the dive skin with my bonus muscles and the hex fabric.
20200520_084818.jpg

Doing similar. I don't normally post WIP pics because it jinxes my projects and I never finish them then. (Looking at you dinosaur costume...). But am in a similarly "stuck" situation and looking for advice/thoughts on the undersuit. Clearly the 2500's have more interesting fabric than we do in 2020...
So I did build a duct-tape dummy. Then using an old dive skin, added some muscle (because I've got covid body now) and have covered it with a stretch hex-pattern from Yana at a fabric store. That has worked out fine so far. The confusion for me is that the foam templates in the armory don't quite match the reference pictures. And in the reference pics its not clear to me what could/should be foam and what could/should remain fabric. Obviously the easy way would be to leave it all fabric and just build the "top" armor. This isn't the 501st after all, no one is going to grade you. But I like the challenge of this build, so am going to try for a little more to this techsuit.
So looking at the reference pics again, it would appear to me that if you made all of the "white" parts out of foam, you wouldn't be able to move. So I'm leaning the direction now of making a second layer of fabric, but inside-out so that there is a minor distinction between it and the "normal" fabric. Then for certain significant parts (deltoid, some chest, back and thigh) pieces, I'll use thin EVA with the inverse fabric glued to it to make it stand-out but still have the hex pattern. Then there are a few parts that'll be thin EVA with plasti-dip rubber compound for those areas that have that rubber look. Hopefully this will let me retain some mobility in my arms and legs while being a little more "screen-accurate".
Attached is a pic of the almost complete fabric suit. You can see the dive skin with my bonus muscles and the hex fabric.View attachment 290992

i think im going to print all the undersuit out and then brush silicone on the hard print then when it drys i will pull it off and turn it inside out so the details show im printing the neck next to try this method... but i like where you are going with your ideas if mine fail i may try to go that route. i can send you pics of the under suit i have if it will help you

i think im going to print all the undersuit out and then brush silicone on the hard print then when it drys i will pull it off and turn it inside out so the details show im printing the neck next to try this method... but i like where you are going with your ideas if mine fail i may try to go that route. i can send you pics of the under suit i have if it will help you
Would love pics. Any and all ideas/help is useful.

Just to be clear for anyone reading, this is the reference pic I'm talking about. (For Halo 4/5 build).
halo-4-mjolnir-gen2-techsuit-reference.jpg

It is worth looking at MoeSizzlac 's thread here where he did the Mark VI Abdominal section. He 3-D printed it in a material called "Ninja Flex."

However, you could just as easily 3-D print it in a standard material, and then make a silicone mold of it and then make a latex (or another rubber material) cast and glue/sew that you your undersuit base. MoeSizzlac has 3- D print files of the Ab section available if you look through his thread I linked.

You might also want to look at ExCeLLuR8 's threads, as he has one of the most accurate Mark VI's, including undersuits, I have ever seen.

Phil, EVAkura , used to sell kits of his latex casts of the Mark VI mid section, but I don't see them available on his website anymore.

Phil, @EVAkura , used to sell kits of his latex casts of the Mark VI mid section, but I don't see them available on his website anymore.

I actually just talked with Phil last week. He put the sale of the mid section wraps on pause while he worked on a large project. He said that they should be back for sale soon (and that he would notify the 405th)

It is worth looking at MoeSizzlac 's thread here where he did the Mark VI Abdominal section. He 3-D printed it in a material called "Ninja Flex."

However, you could just as easily 3-D print it in a standard material, and then make a silicone mold of it and then make a latex (or another rubber material) cast and glue/sew that you your undersuit base. MoeSizzlac has 3- D print files of the Ab section available if you look through his thread I linked.

You might also want to look at ExCeLLuR8 's threads, as he has one of the most accurate Mark VI's, including undersuits, I have ever seen.

Phil, EVAkura , used to sell kits of his latex casts of the Mark VI mid section, but I don't see them available on his website anymore.

That gives me an idea to cut the armor pieces out of latex and cover with the fabric. They would be much more flexible than Eva foam. Although I wonder if the latex would provide enough of a feel/height to be worth doing vice just laying down more fabric alone...

ok everyone if you have ever wanted to make molds of your armor and just dont have 200.00 for stuff to make a mold or two. i found a video on youtube and i have tryed it and i had great success i will be doing this from now on i made a test mold for my hand guard and it worked i used fiberglass resin liquid only to do the casting and it did not damage the mold i can reuse it again not sure on the life of the mold but it did not break the bank. it cost me about 10 to 12 dollars for the mold i made. i will put a video up as soon as my daughter can come help me do the video..

here is the link to the video.....
it is a guy making candle molds so i tryed it for my armor and it worked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back