Halo Reach C.Q.B. Build (Thank you Bungie!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzY Ey3Z

Currently working on a C.Q.B. helmet. I have the model fully fiber-glassed and I'm going to start sanding + Bondo'ing. I decided to start looking at my in-game character since I'll be using that as the colour scheme (grey/white). While looking at it, I realised that they've completely changed some of the details. The visor is now a lot easier to craft thankfully as I'm new to this. I've already spent quite a bit buying tools for starting up my first time, and I really didn't want to shell out another $70 for TWO faceshields just to cut one apart. Anyways, I'll post pictures of the renders I've been looking at and keep you guys updated as I progress through this ^_^

Original Halo 3 C.Q.B. concept (Note the circular vents on the front, the nodes on top are circular, and it has the dual-layer visor effect. Looks decent, but far too clean for me)

Here's a look at the visor detailing in the new Reach C.Q.B. Helmet (Notice how it's a lot simpler and sleeker in design. This can easily be detailed using matte black paint and a steady hand)

Here's a closer look at some screenshots from different angles I took in-game the other day. The node shape on the top of the helmet is now a teardrop shape, along with the vents on the front changing shape. There is more detail on the "T" shape atop the helmet as well. I honestly think this model looks A LOT better than the original. Looks far more realistic in comparison and will provide far more room for customization / weathering damage lol.

As I said, this helmet is still awaiting detailing. I plan on doing some markup on it tomorrow to better understand just how I'm going to go about the halo reach detailing, along with the bondo process and I should have more pics tomorrow, if not tuesday :)

Current progress:

~CrAzY Ey3Z

Very nice! Excellent reference pics, you've definitely done your homework!

Suggestions on smoothing out that fiberglass? I'm assuming that you go at it with some sandpaper and a nice dremel. I haven't come across a really detailed pic on the inside of a finished armor, mostly just the final pics and what I've seen in the tuts, so as a final questions, do you even do much to smooth out the inside other than stray hairs of fiberglass?

I'm going to be wire-snipping / sanding the excess fiberglass that's sticking out around the visor area + the opening of the helmet. As it currently stands, it looks incredibly dangerous to stick my head into, and I don't plan on doing so anytime soon rofl. I'll attach a pic to show you. Thank you, I really want this to turn out well :D It's my first ever build, and I think it's going alright so far. To smooth out the inside of the helmet further, you could always add more resin to it once your fiberglass coat is dry, but I plan on placing material + padding on the inside of the helmet, so to me it just feels like wasted resin I could put towards a new piece. Most people I've seen have a lot smoother results from their fiberglass on the inside, but I was sort've in a rush. I also had a little accident (I blame the terribly windy weather in the area of Canada I live in lol) that blew my helmet clean off the table and straight onto grass/dirt rofl. There's a bit of dirt stuck in resin on the front left cheek-guard, I plan on just sanding that out before I Bondo though. Anyways, here's a shot of the terribly frightening inside lmao.

I unfortunately do not own a dremel, so sanding down some of that excess fiberglass is going to be a pain in the rear. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways I can do this efficiently? Will a file work, or is there a chance of cracking/breaking my helmet by doing so? I wouldn't imagine it could be any less stressful to the media than a high-powered dremel would be rofl.

**UPDATES!** 10/12/10
To anyone interested in this project, my apologies for the lack of updates lately lol. Bondo step finished! Wooo! Going to start sanding tomorrow rofl, have been busy with work / university.

Serious sanding needed!

Began building up the nodes to a more tear-drop shape. Will look better after dremel work :)

~CrAzY Ey3Z

Very cool! Do you know if there would be a way to, not necessarily cover it in more resin, but maybe in something else, like some sort of rubber substance? Is there anything really that just "automatically" smooths something like this off?

And did you also glass it on the outside?

Looks like a great start. I recently finished my CQB, just need the visor, though I have thought of making it a Reach version. Keep up the good work though.

WOW...I just saw the Reach CQB pics and DAMNNN...Now I gots to change my Halo 3 version to look more like the Reach, but I don't like the tear drop vents on top, those look a bit off IMO!! But I will be adding some extras soon!

Good job and can't wait to see more pics!

AMAZING...I don't like much of the changes on the Reach version, but I will be giving my H3 version an update now! Thanks for the pics and keep us posted with your WIP on your CQB!!!

Thanks for the support guys :D You're really helping me keep motivated to finish this now ^_^ I agree that some of the Reach changes do look a little bit strange, but I have some ideas to make them look very cool! I was originally thinking about making a UA/HUL permutation of this (Visor looking thing on top + sensor on the side), but I'm starting to like some of the detailing on the helmet that would be covered up if I did :(

@daxter I only glassed the inside of the helmet, what you may see on there are strands of fiberglass that shredded off and stuck to the outside rofl >_< I've cut/sanded most of those spare fibers off now though. As for the smoothing, after cleaning up the visor/head holes today I'm going to be putting Bondo body filler on it. When you bondo the helmet, you smooth the bondo and can remove the polygon shapes entirely ^_^ Another thing that you could look into purchasing if you want an easier experience smoothing the inside for example would be "Rondo," which is a mix of resin and bondo. I've yet to try it, but I hear it's quite easy to apply and swish around in the helmet. Leaves a nice smooth effect that you'd get from Bondo, but with easier application lol. Think of it as.. Putty vs. really thick paint for application lol.

Hope this helps, and I'll update this thread later tonight with Bondo pictures ^_^

~CrAzY Ey3Z.

Thanks for the update CrAzY Ey3Z. I've looked into rondo as well, I just haven't had noticed anyone really using it on the inside, but as you were saying, it should work. I've been on intake overload reading threads and tuts for the past few days. And also, as opposed to the bondo on the outside, I had heard some people had success on rondo on the outside. I hear it takes patience and a lot of work, but if we can't handle a lil of that, we're in the wrong hobby ^_^ Anyway, thanks for the tips!

Added Bondo pics lol. Looks like a giant blob currently, but sanding / carving skills will hopefully make this blob into something a lot prettier tomorrow after class! Stay tuned ^_^

@daxter I hear you man lol, I've been reading consistantly over the forums for this entire process and trying to adapt other people's techniques as I go. I think with the next piece I decide to make, fiberglass mat is definitely the way to go for me rofl. Let me know how Rondo works out for you if you try it :D

Added Bondo pics lol. Looks like a giant blob currently, but sanding / carving skills will hopefully make this blob into something a lot prettier tomorrow after class! Stay tuned ^_^

@daxter I hear you man lol, I've been reading consistantly over the forums for this entire process and trying to adapt other people's techniques as I go. I think with the next piece I decide to make, fiberglass mat is definitely the way to go for me rofl. Let me know how Rondo works out for you if you try it :D

Hey there! noticed you'd been discussing Rondo for use INSIDE the helmet as well as other things. I relized while reading that my entire helmet minus one layer of bondo-glass ( mistake on my part) is made from Rondo...there's a WONDERFUL tutorial on youtube by someone named icecognia or something similar for how to to this and I gotta say it filled the entire helmet BEAUTIFULLY on my first run! I'm barely going to have to sand whatsoever and i'm already beginning work on the foam padding for the inside/ cutting out and finishing details I.E. the visor and technical lines on the top. Reply to my thread on Rasello's Aerial Assault project if you'd liek to see smore pictures posted. I've already got a few up.

Watched those tutorials, those are wicked! I'm dying to try this now, as soon as I get enough money to purchase more Bondo rofl. Began dremmel detailing on helmet. Should have more photos tomorrow ^_^

hmm your helmet is looking nice so far. I actually never even noticed the differences from the halo 3 CQB helmet and the reach version until I saw your reference pics. You don't necessarily have to get a Dremel brand rotary tool, a friend of mine has a rotary tool that he got around $20 and was on sale. You just have to know what stores to look and look hard! Best of luck to you on this build.

You don't see many CQB's on here, at least I haven't. Yours is looking very nice, and I can't wait to see more. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys :D I actually bought a really nice rotary tool set that was on sale here at Canadian Tire. It's regularly $120, I got it for $40 so can't complain. It works really well too ^_^ Been studying for midterms next week and have a birthday approaching, so I haven't had much time to put into this little side project. Planning on doing some serious work during the sunshine tomorrow as it's been rainy all weekend xD

Keep up the good work, Crazy Ey3z! I am actually working on a CQB helmet myself. I pep'd one that was way too large on accident, so now i have rescaled it to what should be the right size.

Any updates to the helmet since your last post?

Looking pretty good so far!
I really liked waht they did with the cqb in reach. May model some additions for th cqb myself, Bt unfortunately, i Fail miserably at modeling xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back