Halo Reach Costume Special FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan 270

Hey 405th, this is a video DaFrontlineTrooper and I have been working on. Let us know what you think? Enjoy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wasn't expecting anything like this, very well executed though. The first 10 seconds of the video are my favorite; the first camera angle is perfectly synched to the assault rifle and the explosions and everything. The only issue I see is that the warthog at :13 is brighter than the rest of the video and is at a slightly different angle than it's trajectory is. Other than that, it's AMAZING. Your video editing skills are incredible (a heck of a sight better than mine) Well done.

Nice work I don't know what to think of that Warthog though, the video was also a bit of the jumpy side whereit seemed like the videographer was running with you guys.

DAMMNNN!!!! That was Awsome!!!!!!!! I agree with Sky Dragon the first 10 seconds where you are running and shooting are spectacular

Nicely done, the constructive critism i could add would be to use earlier in the day lighting. With the sun behind you some details are lost in the work you have done on your armor. Also if i could add, try useing a scetch filter, it will give it the "wartime video" feel from vietnam. I think those would really add some extra detail and realism to your vid. Also the filter will drown out the "pulled" feel of the warthog, wich i like BTW. Over All, very nice, and fun. To give it the "remember Reach feel kinda like remember the alamo, show spartans dieing and the whole sacrafice of the men/women of reach. You could clip in some video footage (from game maybe) of ships in space being distroyed? Anyway enough rambling, overall i like it! Great job! wish i had time money to do this myself , looked like fun.

Very nice. Although the piece was short, I can tell that you shot ALOOOT more footage than you used. I don't have much more to add by way of constructive criticism, you guys did an excellent job. Also adding realistic digital effects was largely hit or miss a while back even for major studios/networks...SyFy has an entire librabry of bad special effects movies, so don't feel too bad. The part that got my mind blown wide was how well you synched the muzzle blasts and the fantastic guns sounds, very visceral.
More please. I love to watch young artists at work.

Not bad. As others have said, the tracking/keying of the effects was pretty good, though the warthog looked a little off. I would add that most of the effects (the flames, the plasma bolts, even the muzzleflashes in a couple spots) probably could've done with some color correcting and maybe a little blurring.
Still, good job!

Thanks for all the critique! As far as camera goes, the rock terrain was not helping the tripod roll across. In fact, it was far smoother with my friend free handing it. Special effects are not done by me, they are done by another member here who collaborated with me on this project. His name is DaFrontlineTrooper. Currently he tells me hes working on something involving an ODST and Marine. As far as these little shorts go, I'd be more than happy to do more. The filming location was really restrictive of angles. This was the only barren wasteland looking area for quite a long way actually. The angles couldn't be behind the spartans because then you would be able to see a large cement wall that I'm running towards XD. We basically were trying to mask the fact we were filming in an open patch in the mountains.

I'm using an iPad, so embedded videos don't work. If it's not too much trouble, could you post the link so I can see it too? I normally wouldn't ask, but everyone was giving it pretty rave reviews, so I wanted to see what it was all about :)

I'm using an iPad, so embedded videos don't work. If it's not too much trouble, could you post the link so I can see it too? I normally wouldn't ask, but everyone was giving it pretty rave reviews, so I wanted to see what it was all about :)

No, don't watch it! Your iPad probably isn't used to so much win at once, and will catch fire or something ;-)

No, seriously, here's the link to Youtube:
You can also try replying to post #1 with a quote, that will show you the post in it's raw form, with BBCode and the URL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip, ill remember that in the future. My ipad also can barely handle the 405th forums, and if there are too many awesome pictures on a page, it will just either stop loading them, or shut down the web browser, which stinks.

That video was full of win! If I were to say anything, it would be the pull effect on the warthog, which was barely noticeable. If you wanted to change that, I reccoment bouncing the front and the back of the vehicle slightly, rather than keeping it parallel to the ground. If you could possibly make the body bounce up and down on the wheels, that would work too. Looks fantastic though! What program did you use for the special effects?

I liked it :)

Little over exposed but looks like you had tough lighting..
Usually I use a french flag hood to cut back on flares and such and a couple ND filters
Actually think the hand held cam gave you a nice effect.

Thanks for the tip, ill remember that in the future. My ipad also can barely handle the 405th forums, and if there are too many awesome pictures on a page, it will just either stop loading them, or shut down the web browser, which stinks.

That video was full of win! If I were to say anything, it would be the pull effect on the warthog, which was barely noticeable. If you wanted to change that, I reccoment bouncing the front and the back of the vehicle slightly, rather than keeping it parallel to the ground. If you could possibly make the body bounce up and down on the wheels, that would work too. Looks fantastic though! What program did you use for the special effects?

Special Effects are done by a member here, DaFrontlineTrooper, who uses Adobe After Effects

The muzzle flashes and the plasma rounds flying by were great, but the Warthog bit was pretty bad. Lol, keep up the work man. I can't wait to see your work progress. ^_^

hey man, I was curious as to where u are located State wise. Me and some friends are looking to start a series of short films based on either a squad of spartans on a planet before the covenant found Reach, or base around 30 to 40 years after Halo 3 when there is a Sangheili Civil war

hey man, I was curious as to where u are located State wise. Me and some friends are looking to start a series of short films based on either a squad of spartans on a planet before the covenant found Reach, or base around 30 to 40 years after Halo 3 when there is a Sangheili Civil war

California, wish the best of luck with your films, the concept sounds interesting :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back