1st Build Halo Reach Foam Build (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, considering that I have to put twice as many posts as you do due to my poor quality of content .....it just seemed logical, right xXDashIVXx? Never going to live that down........

if you do alot of work indoors with the sanding and foam you can get a good size card board box and poke a hole in the box just big enough for the hose to fit in and then you have less mess it does work really well.

This is a brilliant idea. I have to go find a box now because it gets way too messy. I have a small workspace that is where I also eat and do my work so this is a must.

Welcome to dremel world where using the dremel help lots but also cause black spots everywhere :) also nice work on pieces. When u use barge, be extra careful bc that glue will stick in a snap or 2.

I struggle with getting it in the right consistency with the thinner. I have it in a small bottle either I put in too little to be able to pour it out, or I put too much in and after a few days it's too thick/hardened.

View attachment 294524
I'd like to take this moment to share the good word of our armor's savior: shoe goo. Shoe goo is great for reinforcing your seams inside the armor, making it nearly indestructable. Need I saw more?

Also, progress is looking great scorch! Keep it up!

Thank you for that suggestion - okay Shoe Goo. I will see where I can get this. I am wondering if I should reinforce the back of of the chest and the upper back before connecting the two.

Your suit looks amazing BTW - WOW.

This morning was hard to get started. I can see myself slipping in the willpower department. Being hard on myself is not helping once again. I am naming it here so I can move forward.

I have glued these details together with some barge and a little bit of super glue. A little crooked by the trim but these pieces are a lot more solid than the last two attempts. Next I am going to go find a box so I can sand more with the Dremel. If I find no box then I am going to sand anyway.

Image.jpeg

They're a little crooked, sure. But honestly once the whole thing's put together no one's gonna notice. Looks good to me! I say keep going :D
If you've got the eye to pick up on that kind of detail already, you're starting off strong and will only get better.

You might want to get a metal ruler......something w/ a thin rubber bottom to prevent from slipping. It will keep your cut lines straight much better than free handing it alone.

Okay here is a progress update. I can't believe it is past 3:00 pm...I started at around 11:00 am. Lots of practice but unfortunately need to re-do this part.

So I found a box in a recycling dumpster. This worked very well but I still am finding particulate matter from yesterdays sanding. I think I can make this box a bit better as well. Thank you marinesniper !

Image (1).jpeg

I finished sanding the back of the pieces that I felt needed to be sanded.

Image (2).jpeg

The dremel spun the piece over and knicked the surface. Didn't seem bad enough for me to re-do the piece, and I had this feeling this wasn't going to turn out well anyway :lol: so I let it be.

Image (3).jpeg

Despite sanding down to make room for the right angle it didn't seem enough. I am a little puzzled at how this is going to work - do I have to sand it that much more? This is tricky for me.

On the second image below, I highlighted the piece on the computer screen that my thumb is touching.

Image (5).jpeg
Image.jpeg

I am going to take a break then try this again. :confused:

Attachments

• Image (4).jpeg
    Image (4).jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 113
  • Image (4).jpeg
    Image (4).jpeg
    812.8 KB · Views: 115
Okay here is a progress update. I can't believe it is past 3:00 pm...I started at around 11:00 am. Lots of practice but unfortunately need to re-do this part.

So I found a box in a recycling dumpster. This worked very well but I still am finding particulate matter from yesterdays sanding. I think I can make this box a bit better as well. Thank you marinesniper !

View attachment 294537

I finished sanding the back of the pieces that I felt needed to be sanded.

View attachment 294538

The dremel spun the piece over and knicked the surface. Didn't seem bad enough for me to re-do the piece, and I had this feeling this wasn't going to turn out well anyway :lol: so I let it be.

View attachment 294539

Despite sanding down to make room for the right angle it didn't seem enough. I am a little puzzled at how this is going to work - do I have to sand it that much more? This is tricky for me.

On the second image below, I highlighted the piece on the computer screen that my thumb is touching.

View attachment 294542 View attachment 294548

I am going to take a break then try this again. :confused:
if i get the chance i will take a pic of the box i have i really went recycle nut on it lol. but you are welcome and you are doing great i could never get the foam thing to work for me...

It may be my cardboard stencils or my angled cuts or gluing. Do you use the straight edge when you cut the foam as well?

Yep...Not just to straighten out my draw lines, but primarily as a guide for my blade....It gives me the straightest lines and also smooth bevel cuts

Yep...Not just to straighten out my draw lines, but primarily as a guide for my blade....It gives me the straightest lines and also smooth bevel cuts
I second the metal ruler. I also use one too get straight cuts.

Wait so you guys draw onto the foam and then use a ruler to cut? Uh oh :oops:. Wasn't doing that myself lol.

I'm trying to think of how I could use a ruler for the beveled cuts :unsure: . You keep the ruler flat and approach the foam with your blade at an angle?

I got a sharpener and just keep sharpening my blade over and over....I replace once the tip breaks...I can get a lot more life out of each blade doing this. And yes the blade gets sharp enough as if it were fresh out of the box.

And yes the blade gets sharp enough as if it were fresh out of the box.
Suspicion intensifies
I follow the controversial opinion of replacing a blade once it's cuts become audible. Sometimes I'll sharpen it if that particular blade sharpens well. Every once in a hot while a blade will only last a couple cuts before I trash it. At least my blades are cheap xD

Edit: I'm not saying my way's better, just that there's more than one.

Last edited:
I got a sharpener and just keep sharpening my blade over and over....I replace once the tip breaks...I can get a lot more life out of each blade doing this. And yes the blade gets sharp enough as if it were fresh out of the box.

What type of sharpener?

Yeah, all my cuts are beveled. You just angle the blade and cut towards the metal. It's bad for the blade, but I replace mine often enough anyways.

I may be overthinking this I feel like my blade would drift away from the straight edge. I tried it once and this is probably why I stopped using the straight edge. Okay, I will try this out going forward but keep what I have so far.

Edit: grammar/missing words

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back