1st Build Halo Reach Foam Build (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay belt #2 is done. I added a layer on the back to even out a plane that was crooked.

thumbnail_Image.jpg
ddsd.jpg

Okay made some decent progress in the past two days. I am getting more confident in doing these things which is nice.

The new template I used was much easier to glue. Especially this part:

IMG_2326.jpg

I ended up needing to heat gun a bit more for a greater curve.

IMG_2325.jpg

The curve is not as close to what I see on pep, nor my old thighs, but it seems to go around my thighs okay. It is indeed a bit more snug, but still plenty of room. I think any more and it would be bad news.

IMG_2329.jpg
IMG_2366.jpg

I decided to re-do those little hook pieces. Instead of 3 parts for one individual piece, I combined 2 parts of the trim. Second set on the bottom definitely looks cleaner, but maybe the overall difference is marginable. :unsure:

IMG_2369.jpg

I am open to suggestions on this part. I am going to re-attempt all these parts of the inner thigh with 5 mm foam as was suggested to me by some of you. Pictured below is a previously posted picture using half inch wide foam. I am thinking that 5 mm foam will give me a bit more space between my thighs so I can ambulate a bit easier. I am also hoping it will be easier to glue since the foam mats are much more firm.

1609629434924.png

I have to wait for some of that 5 mm foam to arrive so perhaps I go back to finishing the small details on the front of the chest :unsure:, or maybe even back to the drawing board on the chest if I want to practice and make it cleaner :oops:.

Edit: clarification

Just skimmed through the whole thread to get caught up to speed. You're doing a truly fine job. Those cuts are really c r i s p.
Looks like I found a new thread to observe!

Just skimmed through the whole thread to get caught up to speed. You're doing a truly fine job. Those cuts are really c r i s p.
Looks like I found a new thread to observe!
Thanks a lot! I have practiced a lot the past several months and gotten pointers from folks on here. I have never painted before so hopefully I can do it justice when the time comes lol.

I can totally relate to feeling something is not good enough. I have had this same feeling when working on my 3D printed suit.

As N8TEBB said, if you want to remake it that's up to you, but I also see absolutely no reason to, this is an amazing job! I'm sure you'll have more confidence in it when you paint it.

As PlanetAlexander said though - some paint will really show you how awesome it really is

N8TEBB , PlanetAlexander , MrJamin thank you very very much for the kind words and compliments. I trust you folks. I will have to wait until the Spring to proceed with painting any of this.

MrJamin I was indeed operating off of "not good enough" but if I do anything more it will be to experiment with simplicity.

I recall reading that spraying plastidip in moist conditions is not good. I'll wait until it is warmer to get any. I think I will have to buy equipment for the painting stage. I have no idea what to get. I have a respirator and goggles only. No idea where I can go to spray any of this stuff though. I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Rman240 previously I would cut stencils out with pepakura, see if they fit, and then repeat until my will was destroyed. :lol: Spidermonkey60 instructed me to measure myself as part of a separate build/commission. After that I commissioned his help with scaling my pieces. I then got some good tips from him on how to angle my cuts more than I was previously, and was encouraged to use Barge instead of hot glue that I was using prior. I now use a mix of barge and superglue.

I have much much much more to learn. This stuff does not come naturally to me. I am merely resilient and privileged enough to keep trying.

Edit: Forgot to mention - I use the foam they sell at WalMart where I live. Sometimes I use thinner miscellaneous craft foam from Michaels.

At first I thought this wouldn't fit, and it ended up seeming like it would be too big. I finished the jawline quickly to merely see how big it would be. Anyhow this is how far I got:

Image (1).jpeg

I have read numerous times that fans are needed inside. I am considering commissioning the helmet as that is beyond my scope. Comfort is the name of the game for my headgear since pain is in my cards already long term.

I may commission this helmet in light of this.

Spacemeat suggested I get armorsmith. I am playing with that software and it is sure interesting. Would have saved me a lot of trouble in the beginning (Rman240 ) :lol:

Okay. Today I will try to finish my second pair of thighs. Last on my list is buying boots, making the bootstrap (is that what it is called?), and then figuring out what I will do with the black spandex suit beneath.

Edit: Emoji

I have read numerous times that fans are needed inside. I am considering commissioning the helmet as that is beyond my scope.
I wouldn't say fans are needed... They may be helpful for airflow, but most full-face helmets used for sports don't have fans in them. If you're careful about how much foam you put on the inside, you can actually plenty of oxygen without a fan. If you wear a balaclava or buff that covers your nose and mouth, the air flow tends to go down outside of the helmet, rather than up into it. I wouldn't recommend wearing a helmet like this for long periods of time though, just like any helmet. My helmet doesn't have a fan, and I don't feel like my airflow is blocked any more than it is when wearing a regular old face mask.

Based on the work you've posted here before, I believe that with some careful crafting, you will be able to make a wonderful foam helmet. Weather you decide to include a fan is up to you, but I wouldn't recommend that that be the deciding factor on weather you commission the helmet or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back