1st Build Halo Reach Foam Build (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorch

Hi Everyone,

I am challenging myself to complete a Halo Reach build out of foam. My goal is to finish the foam assembly stage*. I have attempted this endeavor before several years ago but had to change priorities. This is my second try at it. My goal is to complete foam assembly by 2 weeks from now and time is running out. . . I have made progress on some pieces but will need to re-do some of them as my skills have improved. There are several challenges that have gotten in the way of this dream. Wish me luck.

scorch

*Edit: clarification

Last edited:
I started working on the front of the chest.

I made minimal progress on this with a lot of trial and error yesterday.

Image.jpeg
Image (6).jpeg

This part has completely stumped me. I spent maybe 4 hours trying it out multiple times. I will work around it and then re-visit it maybe towards the end of the build:

Image (8).jpeg
Image (9).jpeg

I am going to tackle a different section now and will report what I complete.

Okay I wanted to attack the parts that rest above the right and left sides of the traps/neck area.

IMG_1400.jpg

This is what I got up to today. How is it already almost 4:00 pm...

Image.jpeg

Behold my madness. I have a hard time with these small details - and I'm not sure how much of it will 'disappear' after assembly, plastidip, or painting. I haven't gotten that far to know. This one window kept coming out with little flakes or 'hangnails'. I struggle with being able to cut through the foam completely even with fresh blades. First, second, and third and final attempt on one of the pieces. The mirrored piece turned out similarly to the third one, and oddly on the first try.

Image (1).jpeg
Image (2).jpeg
Image (3).jpeg

I get in this mode where I re-do pieces multiple times. I am open to suggestions. It is a challenge for me to say "this will do", but time is running out.

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 240
Okay I attempted the details on these ones...I may have to re-do these. This will mean I may not be able to glue these parts together tonight.

I used slightly less thick foam for the top layer. Since I can't seem to cut that window out properly, it's hard to fit a piece into it. I prefer using foam backing to give depth but if it messes with the seams and angles I tend to have a problem. That piece on the right is getting to me.

Image (4).jpeg

Maybe I'll take a break then re-attempt :unsure:.

Welp, two weeks to make a Reach build... good luck! What's the reason for the due date?

Earth's getting glassed soon and I want to go out style. :lol:

I am going to edit/clarify my original post. I want to finish the foam assembly stage. I know it's not sane, and probably not possible. The two parts I have finished decently well are the biceps and forearms and luckily they don't need strapping.

I am having major surgery and am told I won't be able to do this kind of work for a while. I need to show myself I can get this done and I feel the assembly stage is the threshold for proving to myself I can. Tired of feeling like it was something I wanted to do yesterday. I'm grateful I can even do any of this now. I know it's going to be another massive learning curve with paint :eek:.

I am calling it for today.

I got as far as re-doing these two pieces and am satisifed with how it came out. I can either use the hollowed piece out of the window, or use a panel on the back nicely. No gluing done today.
Image (4).jpeg
Image (5).jpeg

After I re-did those pieces I tried to tackle these, with intentions of gluing what I could cut out.

Image.jpeg

I can see that the angle is very steep between the two larger pieces - and what I had cut out didn't justify gluing at all. When I first attempted this piece years ago, I skipped this part. I tried increasing the angled cut, but it still wasn't enough. I got as far as re-cutting the piece with a much steeper angle, and it seems like it's close enough. I will try it out tomorrow. This is the mess I am cleaning up and ending on now.

Image (1).jpeg

I want to finish the foam assembly stage. I know it's not sane, and probably not possible.
Not unless you shift into
9ed30aa99f90b30b22828d5f33947d89.jpg

You have done pretty well so far, figuring out patterns is always a pain in the A. Full speed ahead, but my advice is if you can't finish it in time, don't rush it. Take it from con crunchers, it's worth delaying it for a bit than having something you wish you took more time with. But I'll keep the odds in your favour ;)

Last edited:
Looking great! I still can't handle the edges on this, they are SO clean!!! :O Nothing wrong with pacing yourself, also listen to your body, it'll yell at you if you're pushing yourself too hard. Either way I'm excited to see how much progress you get before your end date. Clap your hands if you believe!

2 weeks......very short amount of time. I know.....I did my son's MC very low rez build in a month.....and it didn't come out so bad for first attempt at a HALO build or even using foam for that matter (huge lie but go w/ it). But I did my best....over time my skills improved vastly as did the timing of producing pieces.
IMG-20160323-01209.jpg

You'll get there. I agree w/ everyone, your cuts are crisp and clean!!! We are our own worst critic.....we see the worst aspect of our handiwork, but everyone else sees the overall piece is amazing.

Not unless you shift into
View attachment 294216

You have done pretty well so far, figuring out patterns is always a pain in the A. Full speed ahead, but my advice is if you can't finish it in time, don't rush it. Take it from con crunchers, it's worth delaying it for a bit than having something you wish you took more time with. But I'll keep the odds in your favour ;)

:lol: Thank you I appreciate hearing that - because that is what has happened in the past. I ran out of time and rushed and what it didn't feel so good.

I also appreciate your support for the spirit of my intentions/desires lol.

2 weeks......very short amount of time. I know.....I did my son's MC very low rez build in a month.....and it didn't come out so bad for first attempt at a HALO build or even using foam for that matter (huge lie but go w/ it). But I did my best....over time my skills improved vastly as did the timing of producing pieces.
View attachment 294230

You'll get there. I agree w/ everyone, your cuts are crisp and clean!!! We are our own worst critic.....we see the worst aspect of our handiwork, but everyone else sees the overall piece is amazing.

That's so cool you made one for your son I bet he appreciated it! That's awesome you chose to go for it as your first time.

Thanks for the support. Yes your remarks are accurate to how I critique my own stuff, particularly when things already do not need to be any more difficult. :(

Okay today I got up to this at a really, really, late start. I'm taking the advice in this thread and going slower. This made the unplanned late start feel less heavy. Not quite finished for the day yet either.

I re-cut this piece, and I made the angled cut much steeper. The piece feels flimsy.

Image (1).jpeg
Image.jpeg

I had a feeling this wouldn't work but am getting much better at appreciating the repeated practice.

I tried sanding the bottom of the larger piece. I didn't really know what I was doing and it wasn't thinning much. I only have 120 grit sand paper and no idea what I was doing honestly. Instead I chose to make a lateral cut with my blade. It seemed to do the trick but it was messy.

Next I glued the trim onto it without going for a perfect seam. I merely wanna see if these pieces fit.

Image (2).jpeg

This is what it looks like as a 'rough draft'.

Image (3).jpeg
Image (4).jpeg
Image (3).jpeg

I think I am going to attempt this with lighter craft foam. I anticipate the weight of the two pieces with thicker and lighter craft foam will be approximately the same since I had to trim this thicker foam down so much. My concern was that the lighter craft foam would not have enough strength and the product would be too fragile.

Attachments

• Image (1).jpeg
    Image (1).jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 239
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 220
Okay today I got up to this at a really, really, late start. I'm taking the advice in this thread and going slower. This made the unplanned late start feel less heavy. Not quite finished for the day yet either.

I re-cut this piece, and I made the angled cut much steeper. The piece feels flimsy.

View attachment 294243View attachment 294246

I had a feeling this wouldn't work but am getting much better at appreciating the repeated practice.

I tried sanding the bottom of the larger piece. I didn't really know what I was doing and it wasn't thinning much. I only have 120 grit sand paper and no idea what I was doing honestly. Instead I chose to make a lateral cut with my blade. It seemed to do the trick but it was messy.

Next I glued the trim onto it without going for a perfect seam. I merely wanna see if these pieces fit.

View attachment 294244

This is what it looks like as a 'rough draft'.

View attachment 294247 View attachment 294248 View attachment 294249

I think I am going to attempt this with lighter craft foam. I anticipate the weight of the two pieces with thicker and lighter craft foam will be approximately the same since I had to trim this thicker foam down so much. My concern was that the lighter craft foam would not have enough strength and the product would be too fragile.
Try a dremel for sanding those angles, its much better than using paper. I have my dremel on hand at all times

Try a dremel for sanding those angles, its much better than using paper. I have my dremel on hand at all times

Thank you for the help. Okay - I am going to get that tool. Do you recommend a specific one or brand? I will have to order it online. I think I am going to keep doing this type of stuff so it will be worth it to have on hand.

Do you have doubts about me using thinner foam for this part? I can assemble it and see if it doesn't seem durable. I'm up for trying it and seeing if it doesn't work also :lol:

thumbnail_Image.jpg

Thank you for the help. Okay - I am going to get that tool. Do you recommend a specific one or brand? I will have to order it online. I think I am going to keep doing this type of stuff so it will be worth it to have on hand.

Do you have doubts about me using thinner foam for this part? I can assemble it and see if it doesn't seem durable. I'm up for trying it and seeing if it doesn't work also :lol:

View attachment 294250

I used the harbor frieght rolled up mat for the pieces that go under the real chonkey bits of chest. It’s a lil thinner than the regular interlocking mats, but has more flexibility which is nice since those are your arm holes.
65176A31-81D2-41AC-81D5-7C07D38D13CE.jpeg453AFEEF-6072-4948-B80D-E0D80395FE2F.jpeg
Rock Lobbster did some weird stuff with not gluing down the shoulder area of those pieces to let his arms move up and have the piece fold inward?

I used the harbor frieght rolled up mat for the pieces that go under the real chonkey bits of chest. It’s a lil thinner than the regular interlocking mats, but has more flexibility which is nice since those are your arm holes.
View attachment 294273View attachment 294276
Rock Lobbster did some weird stuff with not gluing down the shoulder area of those pieces to let his arms move up and have the piece fold inward?
yeah pretty much nailed it on the head, small piece of elastic ontop the "wing" area and glued the front and bottom on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back