1st Build Halo Reach Foam Build (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay well I pretty much finished the second pair thighs today. This was really hard, but it taught me a lot. Less trim, but I like the inner thigh better. Overall not much a difference in terms of fit. It is narrow on the inside, but still need to cushion it at some point. I need to add the details to the coffin shape in the middle of the outer thigh but that is very simple.

I think if I were to re-do thighs, I would not close the circumference and then work on putting the inner thigh layers on. I would probably do all the layers of the inner thigh along with the major pieces and then close the circumference.

IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg

Edit: Clarity

Okay I started the boot. Hope to finish this by the weekend.

Image (4).jpeg
Image (3).jpeg
Image (1).jpeg

Prototype of the front part:

Image (2).jpeg

Of the back:

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-13 at 7.44.54 PM.jpeg

Happy with the back. Made a custom strap for the front that is slightly longer to make sure I can put these on and off without hearing a dreaded tear or rip. I need to bend the strap with a heat gun more.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-13 at 8.29.07 PM.jpeg

Decided I will sacrifice a cheap pair of boots to Kali Ma.

Rman240 this is pretty much how I have attempted most pieces.

This following may seem like insanity but I learned a lot. I tried to re-do the front of the boot cleaner with stronger joints using barge. Interestingly the first one seems to look the best even with a lot of glue spilling. I wanted to re-do this piece with more barge so it would be more stable from movement.

V1. was glued together with super glue, and has some rough edges. It is made of 6 major pieces.
decently.

V2 - V3. have 5 total pieces

V4. has relief cuts that are not visible.

My final one below is composed of only 3 major pieces.

Here are all the attempts:

Image.jpeg

I was confident the relief cuts would work so I proceeded with that. I will use some filler and light sanding to fix unevenness or gaps because of the cuts. These fit around the front of the boots so far.

Image (1).jpeg

And this is the part that floats above the front of the boot/toes.

Image (2).jpeg

I originally made it 1 piece and used a heat gun, but something the curve wasn't sticking nicely so I went with what I was comfortable with and did the 45 degree cuts.

At some point this weekend I will do the details on the front and sides and attach the two front pieces together potentially.

Edit: Spelling/Clarity

See its this kind of equipment and space to do it myself sadly doesn't mean I'll have time for this anytime soon. I really wanna do these amazing builds but lack the proper equipment and time.

See i wish I could use all these things but unfortunately I have very little room as well as a lack of a computer to get any of these softwares.

See i wish I could use all these things but unfortunately I have very little room as well as a lack of a computer to get any of these softwares.
You actually don't need a lot of equipment to get started. To build foam armour, all you really need is foam, a hobby knife, hot glue and paint! Even when I first started making stuff, I was working on a plastic mat on the carpet floor of my bedroom. Every other tool beyond that is just there to help improve your craft.

Yeah my first build was like that with my friend at his house. We practically went the morning of the anime convention with straps as it finally got all in place. Fun times but I should try to do more on my own.
You actually don't need a lot of equipment to get started. To build foam armour, all you really need is foam, a hobby knife, hot glue and paint! Even when I first started making stuff, I was working on a plastic mat on the carpet floor of my bedroom. Every other tool beyond that is just there to help improve your craft

I can empathize with the room issue. I don't like working on my desk as I feel like there is hardly any space to do what I am doing. Also this desk has been slowly destroyed from the knife and the glue.

FWIW sometimes I go to staples to have the stencils print out because my computer either won't turn on, won't print, or for some reason randomly does not scale printing.

I made these earlier last Summer. I got around to gluing the last bit of details to them last night. I was thinking of re-doing these because I got better at this along the way but now I am tired and think they will do fine.

I see some of them done by others with a part rising on the top though - no idea what that is or where that foam template is from. :unsure: Looks like the knee caps, but they are a bit bigger than my knee cap template.

IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg

I can empathize with the room issue. I don't like working on my desk as I feel like there is hardly any space to do what I am doing. Also this desk has been slowly destroyed from the knife and the glue.

FWIW sometimes I go to staples to have the stencils print out because my computer either won't turn on, won't print, or for some reason randomly does not scale printing.
Huh... never thought about staples printing out the stencils. How much would it cost honestly to do such a thing?

Something compelled me to try the knee cap again to make it simpler. I am repeating these to practice simplifying assembly.

Not pictured is the angled piece that attaches to the bottom of the main body.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-23 at 9.37.02 PM.jpeg

This is what I was able to cut for that piece that goes below the chest and the little console thingy.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-23 at 9.37.08 PM.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back