Halo Reach Jorge build - WIP (Will be pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioQuake

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while.
The MCC including Reach being announced for PC was the final push over the edge I needed to get started on my first ever cosplay build. It's my first time ever working with Pepakura, so it'll be a fun learning experience. If you have any tips/suggestions, please do share!

I'll be updating this thread occasionally to showcase some of the progress I have made. It was relatively difficult finding all the Pep files, but I managed. Only part I have yet to find a good file of is Jorge's shin armor.

Anyways, here's an image to start this thread off.
This is the lower 'jaw' part at the front of the helmet.

G'day mate, is this your first time building armour? I'm looking to build a suit of Jorge's myself for next year.

As far as your armour file woes go, have you checked the armoury at the top of the page? I think theres a pretty good shin file under Mjolnir Mk V Armour 1.6

Just reread your post about it being your first time. Your helmet looks like it's off to a good start. Just remember to keep reference images open all the time and keep checking them to make sure you're on the right path. Also, not every single line needs to be folded. It can save you a bit of bondo later on if you don't fold every line on a curve, but it can also make the paper more flexible on big curves, hence easier to warp if not careful with resin. That might not make a lot of sense, but you'll see what I mean if you try it.

Looking forward to watching your build progress mate,

LOVE & JETT
Squish

G'day mate, is this your first time building armour? I'm looking to build a suit of Jorge's myself for next year.

As far as your armour file woes go, have you checked the armoury at the top of the page? I think theres a pretty good shin file under Mjolnir Mk V Armour 1.6

Just reread your post about it being your first time. Your helmet looks like it's off to a good start. Just remember to keep reference images open all the time and keep checking them to make sure you're on the right path. Also, not every single line needs to be folded. It can save you a bit of bondo later on if you don't fold every line on a curve, but it can also make the paper more flexible on big curves, hence easier to warp if not careful with resin. That might not make a lot of sense, but you'll see what I mean if you try it.

Looking forward to watching your build progress mate,

LOVE & JETT
Squish
Hey! Thanks for the feedback and tips, really appreciate it.
I've heard about 'rondo' slushcasting the inside of the helmet, but I'm not sure how brittle/fragile it would be, compared to putting Resin, and then Fiberglass, so I suppose I'll have to do some reading on it.

... I'm not sure how brittle/fragile it would be, compared to putting Resin, and then Fiberglass, so I suppose I'll have to do some reading on it.

You do what you want; it's your build, but what I've found to be best, just my opinion, is fiberglass as much as possible, then use rondo for the rest, especially hard to reach areas like inside the brim.

The fiberglass is just stronger and less prone to cracks.

You can also rondo over the fiberglass, if you want. But I'd definitely put the fiberglass in.

So, I have made quite a bit of progress since initially starting this thread. Now with the helmet starting to come together, I'm slightly worried about it's size. I suppose the only way to tell if it's right, is to try it on when it's finished. That said, here's a pic of the helmet's current state.

How have you sized it up mate? Is it roughly sized to your height? Plus a little for armour?
If you're really worried about you could finish the ring at the base (plus a little around it for support) and see if your head fits through. It doesn't always work with every model, but couldn't hurt. Worst comes to worst, it's good practice to get something like this made. Your folds and joins look pretty clean from what I can see.

How have you sized it up mate? Is it roughly sized to your height? Plus a little for armour?
If you're really worried about you could finish the ring at the base (plus a little around it for support) and see if your head fits through. It doesn't always work with every model, but couldn't hurt. Worst comes to worst, it's good practice to get something like this made. Your folds and joins look pretty clean from what I can see.

I actually left the scaling as it was on the original pepakura file. I made a set of massively oversized calipers, and measured key points like ear-to-ear, Front of the chin to the back of my head, etc. And measured those points in pepakura designer. Standard sizing looked good to me, so I hope my initial guess to leave it the size it was, was a good one.

I actually left the scaling as it was on the original pepakura file. I made a set of massively oversized calipers, and measured key points like ear-to-ear, Front of the chin to the back of my head, etc. And measured those points in pepakura designer. Standard sizing looked good to me, so I hope my initial guess to leave it the size it was, was a good one.
Worst comes to worst, you can have some awesome wall art.

It also depends on where you're measuring from on the pep file. Usually there are multiple rims for the neck opening that have to be cut away to get a real head in there.

I'm pretty sure we've all had to remake our first (or first few) peps.

Alright. It's been a while since the last update. I've had a massively busy few weeks. College work has been stressing me out to no end. Anyways, I've made a bit of progress. For one, a while back I headed down to a local crafts store near me, to find they actually sell the cardstock I need! I went ahead and picked up 80 sheets of it, so I'll have enough for the coming while. I've also got parts for a thigh piece ready to be assembled, to test it's size. Next post will probably be once the full helmet is cut, folded and glued. That said, here's the image of my current progress.

Looking good, kid. A pep build really is a labor of love, in that you need to take your time and put a lot of effort into it, and in the end, finally, you get really good quality results. Which shows so far in your pep work. Don't get discouraged or settle for less when the time comes to finish up at the top. Little tabs trying to fit in small gaps can be irritating. Just keep it going, it's looking great.

Quick update regarding the thigh piece I had ready; I've assembled it for the most part, and it seems to be a perfect fit as-is. It's got a bit of room left for the resin and fibreglassing. With enough cardstock to spare, I should try the main chestpiece once I've got the thighs and helmet done! Really, really excited to see how this is going to turn out!

How did you know that the helmet was the right size? Did you find it or did you have to edit the file?

I made a huge set of calipers to measure body part sizes out of EVA foam. I looked at the dimensions in Pepakura Viewer, and compared them to the measurements I made with the calipers of my head. All seemed well-sized for me, so I went ahead and just rolled with the standard sizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back