Halo Reach sniper rifle Nerf build attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwave

I first want to apologize for the necroposting I've been doing, my original intent was to bookmark them in a way to go back for review. I've messaged the folks who initially told me of my error and I won't do so again, I see why its policed.

More to the topic at hand, I'm attempting to turn the Nerf Longshot into something that could pass for a sniper rifle, ideally from reach as the armor I'm going for is Jun's. I saw from the other tutorials that there are more ideal guns to pull from but I think I can wing it with this.

reach_mpbeta_sniper2.jpg

Lofty goal ^

maxresdefault2.jpg
^Rough idea of what I'll have to modify and add

20160302_190621.jpeg

Cut off the white parts as indicated on the previous pic and sanded off the logos

20160302_180629.jpeg

Removed the internal parts so I can lay the PVC pipe and better secure it.

Currently still deciding if I should keep the grey butt of the rifle or if I should remake it entirely out of foam... I imagine for stability's sake I should add onto something rather than try to fabricate it entirely from foam. Would layered PVC sheet be a better way to approach the stock? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Seems like a great start. I think keeping that stock initially and modifying it will help in stability. Very curious to see how this continues.

Going to watch this. Instead of posting to the threads to bookmark them, you can subscribe to them and you won't get in trouble for necro-posting.

"I'm just a witness"

20160307_172532.jpg20160307_172549.jpg20160307_173950.jpg20160307_173931.jpg20160307_173429.jpg

Sorry for the jump, but I should have gotten a few more WIP photos today. I ended up making a connecting portion between the rifle butt and the trigger, though it still has a bit of a gap. I'll have to use filler to get the gaps but for now I want to get the majority of the form down. I used PVC sheet as an anchor and foam to add more depth though I may need to add another layer, maybe cardboard?

also did a bit of playing around with the front portion, used PVC sheet bits for the stand housing, added a portion of PVC pipe to the handle portion for extra support, and added a piece of foam to form the grip. Decided to keep the textured edge facing outwards, I think it will be better to have that than generic flat like the rest of the gun. Been toying around with the rifle butt portion more tonight, putting some foam in the nerf gun's 'extra clip' area, and now working the rearmost part. Will have to shave off the inner portion to get the sizing right so its flushed with the nerf gun but its coming along. I'm kind of forgoing scale and just trying to hide as much of the natural gun as I can while minimizing replacing parts that may be unnecessary.

Once I get the stock finished, I'll have to see about tackling the trigger guard and ammo receiver.... this will be a little more tricky. I just realized after I secured everything that I didn't put the slide back over the nerf gun but I think I will eventually put PVC sheet over the open area and put some magnets in it as a way to secure the scope. May do a simple conversion on the one that came with the gun, either way I have to get this done in less than 2 weeks and I'm working on some mando armor at the same time... why do con deadlines have to be the fire in my belly?

20160310_194354.jpg20160310_194805.jpg

Making some strides, lost internet yesterday but got more done without distractions. Added the receiver, and covering some empty space. Still need to figure out wtf I'm going to do to cover/clean everything up... would it make sense to just layer cardboard over everything so its clean/sharp? As of now, its foam edges are frayed, and glue is everywhere, gaps are pretty visible all over for various design portions which would require correcting to look more like the rifle, though given my time constraints I'm now thinking I should accept it for now so I can start adding more. Next will tackle the center body for mounting the scope. May have to do some artistic licensing to make it look close, but may have to use the scope that came with the rifle. Thinking of attaching with magnets. Or might bulk up the forward grip portion that will support the lower stabilizer rod. Will need to hit home depot saturday for different pvc pipe sizes to get the barrels right and parts for the legs, and wire frame on the front of the gun... flight is next friday so heres hoping I can find time when I get home to just paint. Also noticed I am having issues with spray paints here, I'm stationed in Puerto Rico and every time I spray it seems to pool or bubble rather than disperse evenly. Might be the paint, or the atmosphere as theres far more moisture in the air on my side of the island in particular where it rains daily...

20160316_191157.jpg20160316_191206.jpg20160316_191407.jpg20160316_191250.jpg20160316_191328.jpg20160316_191344.jpg

So rushed everything but its holding. Now... clean everything up, fill gaps, shape the flash suppressor, scope, stabilizer, butt, and legs better, plastidip the foam parts, and paint. Used magnets in the scope and the back right portion to compensate for the weight of the nerf scope. Its ugly, but I'm happy I got this knocked out. Con is in a week, but I fly out Friday and won't be able to work on it until Thursday so that leaves me one day! -_-"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back