Props Halo Reach Sniper Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I offered to help out with this project. I saw the model and was awestruck. I've made some good progress with it so far. L3X BLU3R1V3R did all the modeling work. I've simply modified the model to break it down into managable parts (much like I did with my pistol) and began the process of unfolding. Here is what the breakdown looks like...

TheBreakdown.png

I've tried to break it down into logical pieces (grip, receiver, barrel, etc). So far, I'm about 90% completed unfolding the barrel section. I expect to have this completely done and in L3X BLU3R1V3R's hands by the end of the weekend to distribute as he sees fit. I'll tell you what, this model is awesome and I'm excited to be working with it!! Stay tuned.

Just to give everyone an update, I've finished unfolding the barrel, scope, clip, shoulder rest and the heat sync. I only have to unfold the receiver and the grip. It's a bit of a slow process because I have to make sure that there are no open faces (meaning that I'm constantly jumping back and forth from the pep file to the raw model and tweaking it here and there and reloading it into pep). I'm also trying to make sure that the unfold is as simple as possible. Based on how long it's taking me, it may be Monday or Tuesday night before it's finished, so stay patient.

Ok, folks. Here's the moment you've been waiting for. It's finished! Unfolded in seven major sections and absolutly zero open edges. L3X BLU3R1V3R gave us a great model, I only hope I did it justice with the unfold. So, here it is...

Pep 3 version: http://www.4shared.com/file/EsKOc9-m/Halo_-_Reach_Sniper_Rifle.html

Pep 2 Version: http://www.4shared.com/file/UpVBWVB4/Halo_-_Reach_Sniper_Rifle_Pep_.html

There you go, 46 pages of sniper glory. For anyone who has not seen my pep files, I don't use the dots and dashes for the different folds. I set all lines to solid lines so they can be seen even in the smallest of tabs. Red lines are mountain folds, and blue lines are valley folds. The different sections are organized in the page order, so you can print off a few pages to build the receiver, a few more to build the clip, etc. That way you don't have a ton of paper laying around, getting lost.

Enjoy!

carpathiavh99 said:
That way you don't have a ton of paper laying around, getting lost.

Now where's the fun in that...?

I took a look at the model, and it looks great. I only have one question about a part on page 17 (row 4, column 2). There's a rectangular piece that doesn't have any tabs. Is it supposed to be a support piece? It's right in the middle of the grip part, so it's not a face between parts.

I like the idea of using different colours for folds. Would there be a noticeable difference if you print it in black and white?

Last edited by a moderator:
That rectangle is actually the back side of the grip section. It sits against another face in the shoulder rest section. It is not a support as there are no supports in this file. Each section has been designed to be built as its own stand-alone pep project, and joined together in the end to form the rifle.

Edit: Woah, I was wrong! That rectangle is actually a pointless rectangle that made its way from the model to the pep! That rectangle can be ignored. It has no bearing on the rifle itself nor does it even connect to anything, so take note of that. Dang, one error!

As far as printing in black and white, I don't think you will be able to tell the difference between red and blue, you may have to changed it back to dots and dashes. The reason I use the solid lines is because sometimes with the really small tabs, you can't tell if it is a dotted or a dashed line.

Sweet!!!! I'm normally not much for pepping weapons, this is going to have to be an exception! Any chance of getting a sliced file??

Brandon McClain said:
Sweet!!!! I'm normally not much for pepping weapons, this is going to have to be an exception! Any chance of getting a sliced file??

A sliced version is in the works, just not coming along quickly, ive been pretty busy with life these last few week. Ill be passing the file along to carpathiavh99 as soon as its finished for a quick unfold and release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, great work to L3X for the awesome model, and to carpathia for making it pep-ready. Very good job to both of you.

Quick question to carpathia, would you be able to export a PD2 version of this as well?

Thanks

-Matt

Ok, I've updated the original file to exclude that rectangle. If you've already downloaded it, just ignore the rectangle on page 17 with no identification numbers. Also included in the original release post is the file in Pep 2 format.

Schaeden, you probably tried to download the file while I was updating it, it should work now.

Just downloaded,

AWESOME!

THANK YOU!

Also, you should put in the first post. (for simplicity) if you want to.

Doesn't look like a hard build, just time consuming. It's unfolded really well.

I'd say this easily matches bevbors sniper rifle :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back