Halo: Reach Spartan Costume (First Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnavishPlum

Hey everyone! So I have decided to finally build my own suit based on my Spartan from Halo: Reach.

Vanity Spartan.png
This is what it will look like minus that the EVA shoulder has been swapped to the Grenadier. Thanks goes to Sierra 107 for the Vanity pic. I have been working on figuring out the ratio of soft pieces to hard. I made a chart of what I think could work, but I have never used resin before so... will see about that.
Vanity Spartan Piece Chart.png
I am starting with the bicep as it gives me a good idea of scale for my arms. I printed the template out and made a paper test fit to start with.
Post 1 - Bicep01.jpg Post 1 - Bicep02.jpg
As you can see it is a bit large on my very skinny arm, but that is the plan as I need to scale the parts to not only me, but to my Helmet as well. I kinda look like a bobble head at the moment and my spartan is on the bulky side so scaling the arms up a bit should help I hope.

I plan on getting the foam some time this weak to start work on the biceps, I am not 100% on what to do next, I think maybe the chest to help nail down scaling, but I don't know how I feel about having a paper piece that large just sitting around. I also plan on stripping and repainting the helmet, but that won't happen until after all the other parts are made.

Scroll to post #25 to see actually progress

Last edited:
I need some help: How does one cut EVA floor mat neatly? Like with clean cuts?

I am using the Reach bicep tutorial for guidance and well, I can't get good cuts. I cannot get those tiny angles without shredding the thing. (For note, this is the indent in the back)
20170811_173308.jpg

It just looks... ratty. I am not sure if I can save this and I don't feel confident doing the other one, At least this is a barely seen part, but it just looks bad. I don't know if I am using an improper cutting tool:
20170811_173456.jpg
getting the main cuts/sanding seems to make them passable, but it isn't pretty close up.

Only thing I can think of I is that your blade isn't sharp enough, foam eats away a blades sharpness very quickly and the duller the blade the harder it is too cut, resulting in the kind of ratty cuts you're experiencing. Either have a blade sharpener on you and sharpen it every two too three pieces, or replace the blade whenever you feel it's not performing well anymore.

Reactions: Kat
Only thing I can think of I is that your blade isn't sharp enough, foam eats away a blades sharpness very quickly and the duller the blade the harder it is too cut, resulting in the kind of ratty cuts you're experiencing. Either have a blade sharpener on you and sharpen it every two too three pieces, or replace the blade whenever you feel it's not performing well anymore.
Thanks, I think it may be the blade, but I also think it may also be how small the angles are, I have a hard time cutting out the really small details and cuts needed.

Thanks, I think it may be the blade, but I also think it may also be how small the angles are, I have a hard time cutting out the really small details and cuts needed.
Another tip I've heard of, is that if you take a heat gun to the foam lines, it should expand somewhat and give it that nice look.

Another tip I've heard of, is that if you take a heat gun to the foam lines, it should expand somewhat and give it that nice look.
That is true, but that technique is used more for detail lines, scored lines, not actual cutting lines. My problem is cutting small details, though you did just give me an idea.

I could just score the lines of said plate to make it look indented.

I haven't watched that video recently, but I do frequently watch the channel, been following the sweeper bot build. But I do remember their being a scalpel knife.

I like these for smaller detail work... I do find that they dull quicker too tho. I use the bigger ones like the one in your picture for large cuts.
IMG_0484.JPG

I am just wondering, what is the difference between the bicep and shoulder foam files? They to be the same thing, but the one called shoulder looks easier. I have to say, I am not having the best of luck at the moment. I think I may have destroyed two pieces and many don't line up... but I must push onward!

Just wondering, is their anyway to see if 405th members are going to any cons? I saw a thread that had the one I am going to and I cannot remember for the life of me where it is.

You would most likely see it under the Regiment forums.
Viewing posts should be possible but, commenting would not. You would have to join the appropriate regiment after you reach the prerequisites. 50 posts and have been a member of the site for 90 days.

Update: Is a small one cause of the bicep issues I have been having, but after doing some perusing of the forums, I remembered a Kat build thread and have decided to try building the thigh similar to how LilTyrant did it. I hope this works better as I actually do draw a lot so this may work better, if it does, Ill use it on the arms as well.

Progress: Made the actual "cast" while watching ODST cutscences on Xbox, will need to scale up plans a little after to account for undersuit pants.
20170812_001825.jpg
Cast on leg before trim
20170812_002933.jpg
Finished cast

I will be drawing the pattern on tomorrow since its like 1 in the morning, hopefully this goes better than the bicep.

So its been a bit since last time and I have sadly made almost zero progress, I tried the scratch build and it kinda worked, but is too boxy, a lot harder than I thought it would be. So now I am back to the pep's and have hit the roadblock many have before...

Scaling.

I found this thread here on the forums which kinda helps: HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial (says bitly cause I shortened URL on their site). But than I scaled the bicep and it was huge! I don't know if I measured wrong cause this is based on Halo 3 armor, not Reach, but ya.

My issue is that I am really skinny trying to proportion to a bulky spartan, not only that, but I have to keep the armor in scale with the ODST helmet I have, which kinda makes me look like a bobble head.
20170808_160205.jpg
I have heard of Armorsmith but cannot find a cost for it, seeing people say "investment" in other threads makes me think its on the expensive side, let alone if my laptop could even run it. So, minus the thread or building paper versions, any other ways of scaling?

I know this hasn't been much of a build thread, its kinda been a more of a mess of random questions before any building, or questions after butchering a build...

EDIT: I just a saw a thread that said AS is $25? is that true still? Darn you "investment" for making sound more expensive than it actually is!

Really??? Did he up the price??? When I bought it, it was $15 USD. When changing it to Canadian $ it may have worked out $25.

Really??? Did he up the price??? When I bought it, it was $15 USD. When changing it to Canadian $ it may have worked out $25.
The post I saw this in is about a month old, I don't know when you got it, so it may have changed.

EDIT: Just to throw it out their, does anyone know the current price of AS or if it is around the range of 25?

EDIT 2: it is indeed $25, the site says the price goes up as more features are added, so...

I may look into it as $25 isn't that bad actually.

Last edited:
Status Update: Purchased ArmorSmith and figuring out how the program works, like scaling and all...

But I won't have anything to show for at least a week or two because my current laptop cannot run AS without overheating and shutting down. Luckily, my dad and I have been looking for a new computer for a few months now (before I joined here) and we found the powerful one on sale on the Dell Outlet. So I should be able to restart work sometime next week.

I will say though that my avatar is very skinny...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back